Airbrush consumables

Hi, I'm planning to get one of the cheap (£80-100) airbrush & compressor kits in the near future. Apart from paint, what consumables would I need to buy? I gather that some of the airbrushes in these sets have internal seals that are liable to be damaged by solvents, so I was thinking of using acrylics, at least for now. Thanks

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some storage jars for paint mixing - 22ml sort of size, disposable pipette type droppers for mixing in a controlled way, depending on what you are planning to paint 3 to 5ml probably about right. Some thinner and cleaner but probably not as much as you think as water works well with acrylic anyway.

You need to think about supporting the job you are going to spray and might need blue tack to hold smaller items in position, the airbrush can blast them about a bit. An LED light to see what you are doing is good but cover the lens with cling film which you can replace as it gets the overspray accumulates. 

Not consumable but a cleaning station/stand is helpful as is a basic jewellery ultrasound cleaner - gets the nozzles and jets really clean with minimal effort.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ColinK said:

I would add to that some cheap plastic shot glasses, you can get 12 for £1 in cheap stores.  I use them for mixing paint and thinners.

Hi

A word of caution, don’t mix Precision Paints etch primer with their thinners in these as it dissolves the plastic the shot glasses are made of.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve found an aerosol can of airbrush cleaner very useful. Set of small cleaning brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.

A spray out bottle or stand , cos it’s an awkward shape with the hose on - mine is wedged in a draw ...

Small croc clips crimpted onto length of BBQ bamboo squewers  are good for holding small items

Some sort of paint mixing aim is handy. If your choicen paint comes in plastic bottles then adding a M4 stainless steel nut as an aggitator is good. Other wise try the Badger or Trumpeter milk frother type mixers for wide mouth jars or for dropper type bottles a generic "nail varnish shaker" off ebay

Hi Jim,

I'd recommend a job lot of pipettes, shot glasses or medicine cups and kids glue spreaders for all your paint mixing needs.

I bought 100 pack of each of the first 2, and a pack of 10 glue spreaders for about a tenner all in on eBay a while back. I treat the pippettes and cups as consumables, bin them after and give the glue spreader a quick dip in thinners and wipe with a cloth after use.

I've sprayed enamels and other solvent based paints for years, the only trouble I have had was leaving rubber seals in cellulose thinners for a fortnight because I forgot about them... Even when I spray acrylics, I flush out with a solvent airbrush cleaner to dissolve the dried on lumps that acrylic thinners or IPA won't touch. I've always found acrylic is actually worse than enamels to clean up, as with enamels they stay soft longer so actually dissolve in the thinner and wash out nicely. Ok enamel smells stronger, but that's what the mask and extractor are for! 

I use Alclad airbrush cleaner, cuts through anything I've ever sprayed and available mail order via eBay.

Jo

• Like 1

Many thanks for all these suggestions! Just got to get the airbrush now: the cancellation of the Cubs-Cardinals baseball at Wembley (was due to take place last weekend) means that this is now a birthday present from my wife 

Jim

As a relative beginner, in addition to the above I've found the following bits really useful;

Cleaning kit; cotton buds, lots of kitchen towel, Teepee interdental brushes, a small jar for putting the nozzle in when cleaning, much more thinners than you would think.

Also consider buying a decent branded brush, rather than a cheap chinese clone. I got a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra which wasn't an overdraft more than a cheap nasty and is really well made and worked well right out of the box. It's much easier to learn if you know you're using a good brush and only having to worry about your own failings, rather than not knowing if you've a duff airbrush. Parts will be easier to source should they ever be needed too.

• Agree 2

I use cheap Chinese clones from Amazon  to spray my locos,freight cars  etc .I just throw em away if any trouble starts   .At about a tenner a throw for a double action  it cant be bad. Naturally the more expensive are finer/ better but as i have been airbrushing for 50 odd years  painting and weathering and making model 1/43 race cars most of the work  is far less demanding than an expensive one warrants .Thats my take .Sure if you do a test comparison the expensive will  out perform but in real life on models its hey ho and the cheapies are go. I havnt actually thrown one because its failed  mainly  just for contamination  .Its easier to buy a new one that risk a dud clear coat over a model racing car finish that has to be perfect .I keep meaning to keep one for white and another for clear .I spray acrylic ,Enamels ,Scalecoat ,2K and cellulose type car paint .

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2020 at 15:45, Jim Martin said:

Hi, I'm planning to get one of the cheap (£80-100) airbrush & compressor kits in the near future. Apart from paint, what consumables would I need to buy? I gather that some of the airbrushes in these sets have internal seals that are liable to be damaged by solvents, so I was thinking of using acrylics, at least for now. Thanks

Jim

Airbrush cleaner fluid

Acrylic paint thinner (ie water based)

Cotton buds

100ml bottle of IPA for deep cleaning every once in a while

A roll of kitchen paper. I use one a sheet per sessions cut into stripes to clean down the airbrush after.

Face mask

Nice to have:

Airbrush Cleaning pot

Spare needle + matching nozzle

Spare set of seals

• 2 weeks later...