Transformer windings in Gaugemaster model Q

Does anyone know the winding arrangements in  model Q (4 track controller) please?

My father is trying to use one on a 3-rail layout & the track is already laid so common return is essential. If the controller dies not support it, then we need another solution.

There are two dual secondary wound transformers inside.  Each secondary winding feeds its own 'Track' output. So the Track side it is fine for common return.

The problem comes when anyone tries to use the Auxiliary outputs (2 x 16v AC and 2 x 12v DC) with common return, as each Aux output is taken from one of the windings that is also used for the tracks. Therefore the Auxiliary outputs cannot be used with Common return wiring.  Here for aux power - (Solenoid point motor feeding / CDU input, layout lighting, feeding a non mains powered train controller etc) you need a totally separate power source.

Edited by Brian
Typo and text corrected
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Here for aux power - (Solenoid point motor feeding / CDU input, layout lighting, feeding a non mains powered train controller etc) you need a totally separate power source.

I don't see any issue using aux outputs for CDU or lighting as these circuits are (should be!) independent from the track circuits.

Just don't common two aux outputs in any way, either to each other or to a track circuit.

Edited by Crosland
emphasis for clarity
  • Thanks 1

That's what I said isn't it? Or I thought i implied it? As I stated " Therefore the Auxiliary outputs cannot be used with Common return wiring"    They can of course be used in total isolation, but they are not suitable for use with the common return!   Which is what  the question is about.

Also worth remembering is that if these Aux outputs are used separately, they take power from the same supply that's feeding the rails. So it can become very easy to overload one transformer winding without realising it.  Hence IMO a totally separate power source is better for each Aux needed.

There is no reason where all the power sources are separate not to use common return for all track, all solenoid point motor returns and even all lighting etc it wished.  So long as the return wire is of suitable wire size and all supplies connected to the common wire are totally separately feed.

Edited by Brian
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian said:

That's what I said isn't it? Or I thought i implied it? As I stated " Therefore the Auxiliary outputs cannot be used with Common return wiring"    They can of course be used in total isolation, but they are not suitable for use with the common return!   Which is what  the question is about.

<sigh> That is not the text I quoted and responded to.