Coach side overlays

• RMweb Premium

Be wary of using Araldite to fix brass sides to RTR.    I have found out the expensive way.

Next time I will use Evostick which I am told is successful.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony - I was planning on using similar or Evostick on the next batch.  Whenever I get round to them........  I have promised to resurrect and rescue the failed coaches before I do more new ones.

Regards

4 hours ago, Prometheus said:

MIB - I have always used a Bostik-type impact adhesive. It’s a one-shot job so there’s no real room for adjustment once the side has been overlaid, but it’s worked well to date.

tony

The trick is don't wait for the glue to go tacky, just dab the glue on and stick to the side straight away, which gives time to adjust.

The trick is to add two or three locating pegs made from, say, 0,7mm ø brass wire. Drill suitable locations on the brass coach side, if it has door "bumpers" they would be ideal but even holes in the plain sides can be filled afterwards. Fasten the brass coach side to the donor coach, perhaps using clothes pegs, and then drill through those holes with the same size drill into the donor coach. Now you can either solder the brass wire pegs into the brass side or simply place protruding lengths of the wire in the holes in the donor coach side. Before you add the glue make sure the alignment is perfect, the assuming it is, spread the glue thinly, allow to go tacky and then close up the brass side onto the donor coach using the alignment pegs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2020 at 08:08, M.I.B said:

Be wary of using Araldite to fix brass sides to RTR.    I have found out the expensive way.

Next time I will use Evostick which I am told is successful.

Did some Limas many years ago and sides not yet fallen off.