Micro-plank

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Jim,

Really useful 77Ltr Christmas Tree Box

RUB1200_450.jpg.4cadd1fbd948b234c3980eaffbf8b8d7.jpg

And two 24ltr boxes for the paraphernalia - stock, power supplies, sandwiches etc.

RU24ltr_200.jpg.be6d6d742c5019514f525b8e061fab2c.jpg

All fits on the rear seat or boot, no need to drop the seats.

Although this may be irrelevant to your project, try getting BRM April 2018 and read Phil Parker's closing remarks about presenting Didsbury Green, lots of solid ino.

Cheers and Stay Safe

10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Really useful 77Ltr Christmas Tree Box

Thanks Jack.

I wasn't really thinking of having the plank layout I'm planning to fit in a storage box as I plan to have the 'plank' layout on top of a bookshelf most of the time but knowing that there is a box like the one you mentioned is helpful, especially if I plan to store it somewhere if we have to move house. Three of the 4 micro layouts I currently have are either stored in a box or housed in a custom built bookcase. The other one, a 4 sq foot pizza, is easy fitted in the boot (or is that trunK?) of our car.

Guest Jack Benson

Finally, the Kadee ramps are installed and cinder ballast is complete, not fun in a confined space. The grim aspect of industrial 'grot' needs some colour and the next task is ground cover of biegegrau Acrylmasse from Stangel and a generous scattering of weeds. Another 24hrs and all the PVA will be hard and the fun task of cleaning up the lose ballast can begin, followed by attention to the backscene, some grey clouds are in order.

2200719a.jpg.372d78b72b308a80baa095ad33856d1c.jpg

The diesel fuelling point is a bit too large but it helps as a view blocker for the siding at the rear. Still lots to do, the 80/20 rule certainly applies to this layout but it is rather cute thanks to its minimal nature and size.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Hiding in a file, a sketch from Peer Donner that started the process that has almost ended with MicroPlank. Peer’s original idea morphed into the crossover but the pipework will be park of the final outcome and a very little bit of Berlin will emerge. The bagger is a Busch model

Stay Safe and Best Wishes to all

C7112A6A-5E51-4B5B-AEA1-A7ABC51572E2.jpeg.dfe10cbfad6bba34a6bd95f966500b10.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

For the very few modellers of German outline who visit this thread, this link might prove rather useful:- Viessmann/Kibri downloads

It was intended to build the MicroPlank as an 70s UK industrial scene, two weathered Pecketts are lurking but problems with Kadees on British outline stock did put the mockers on the idea, maybe some bright spark will provide a solution. In the meantime, the lone Henschel DHG500 performs faultlessly with the few wagons all with properly designed coupling mounts despite each from a different manufacturer - a task beyond Bachmann whose coupling heights are pot-luck.

IMG_0002a.jpg.9590b1046cacbf032e7ed55e7bfa48ac.jpg

Trix and Roco - perfect compatibility

Cheers and Stay Safe 

Guest Jack Benson

A minor milestone, the fuelling point is finished bar the fuel hose and guy in hi-viz plus the inevitable heavy weathering - but I also need some fire exinguishers. Ho Hum

IMG_1553_1000_.jpg.651bf2bf2a7bc6adda4adfb5ac80ec33.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

One final detail -

These look perfect for the fuelling point - Faller 180950 and cheap from Jadlam Racing, should be here by the weekend.

1838554357_Faller180950.jpg.0105997d0ec0c855ffae0d714cd321a7.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Under the board

Under the board can be interesting, if only to expose the dreadful wiring but in this case it is quite neat. The colours are generally consistent - green for common return, black/red for DC power and yellow/blue for AC. 
Definitely non-DCC as this would require additional compenents to be attached to the boards - central processing unit and accessory decoders - all heavy and not required.

IMG_1554_800.jpg.07a171974e453df2db6dd1053d5efc23.jpg

Instead a 5-pin phono DIN socket for a handheld controller and a 2-pin phono DIN socket for AC power supplied by a remote wallwart.

Both Peco turnout motors are low-amp versions and have additional SPDT biased switches for turnout polarity. 

Layout lighting is LED strip as described by Phil Parker in Didsbury BRM Spring 2018

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Scenery on a plank, are you joking?

Not really, every bit of land has some scenic element, whether it is vegetation, the actual surface (dirt, concrete etc.) or variations of height.

No exception with the MicroPlank, it will receive some textured ground surface using various colours of Stangel Acrylmasse and the front edge of the board will have a sliver of 5mm foamboard for a subtle change of contour. 

This image is the foamboard being held in place whilst PVA dries.

IMG_1555_800.jpg.f9785aa50a8b96f898bf9fe0120d06f7.jpg

This is the result, a concrete surface and slightly raised front edge. All the structures 'plug-in' to permenant holes so that they can be removed during transit but relocate perfectly. Weeds and plenty of them, will soften the edges and the odd view blocker would not come amiss.

20200726_1557.jpg.4d2f284ac402aef705fd7d1405e06ab6.jpg

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Additional stuff

Guest Jack Benson
32 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sorry to be churlish, Jack, but should the fuel tank have a bund wall? It isn't obvious if it has one. 

It is visible even without spectacles.

Now, there will be an outbreak of pedantry quoting all sorts of arcane regulations. 

So, go ahead, make my day.

Stay Safe and Keep Quiet

Guest Jack Benson

There are a couple of wall sections left over from the last project, I wonder if a section of walling hiding the rear siding behind the fuelling point might be effective at focussing attention on the fuelling point rather than whatever is sitting in the siding? I rather like the ‘peek-a-boo’ concept even though it is rather cheesy. Just a personal preference but I find that some diorama layouts seem to lack a certain amount of vertical ‘interruptions’ to the viewer and an element of concealment is worthwhile.

E1194D8D-FC9D-4035-81DD-4B99E5C934BA.png.b20305fc60aa158d46e231667b0d3d06.png

Cheers and Stay Safe 

Guest Jack Benson

Thanks to Neil of this parish, I acquired a Trix Dhg500, unfortunately my second choice of loco was not so clever. Thankfully Trix is part of Mother Maerklin and they offer a Dhg700, which is a boxy uprated version of the original. It isn’t as simple as a body swap, the latest Trix model has a number of new features but it isn’t impossible just awkward but the result is this:-

dhg700a.jpeg.933eaac031fe4b435a6c206f419e6a6c.jpeg

dhg700b.jpg.3a4a7c6922bdbcf804419f2cdd8e8b28.jpg

It is full of character and the transition to 70s German industrial is rather rewarding.

Cheers and Stay Safe 

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

The old broken bits of walling have been painted and weathered, they look part of a neglected corner of a busy industrial system.

IMG_1566_800.jpg.90ed593d21499d34759325db2d1d9d96.jpg

Once the vegetation takes hold, the hard corners will soften.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

This may sound odd but sometimes, you encounter something that is so iconic of a place and time that you just want to share it. A bit like seeing your first Landrover or a Spamcan, that sort of moment.

This tiny model from Auhagen is so typical of the Berlin area that I am sure it smells of Currywurst, it is near perfect unfortunately you have to know what it is before the excitement but damn boy, it is good.

Au11382.jpg.634c3732f9bdae700778b524fefd350a.jpg

A 42x46mm space is available on MicroPlank. it won't be in the centre, instead tucked away at the side but its purpose is to define the location and time. It does it so well despite being a real plain Jane of a building.

All that frothing has made me rather giddy.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

A couple of images during last year's Berlin trip. The first is a Henschel Dhg500 Lok1, the second is a Mak Lok20 on a drizzly day, hi-viz of course. The scale of the docks in Berlin is immense, at least five major sites plus small individual industrial sidings. Wandering around is not an option but as the railways come to meet the public with numerous street lines, it isn't a problem.

BEHALA_Lok_1.jpg.b5f0e4957e233007d3d413ead9c6122f.jpg

Lok20_Westhafen.jpg.67af53b251bba4257235d08905231fbd.jpg

Guest Jack Benson

The images are BEHALA Westhafen, one of the largest inland harbours in the EU.

BEHALA is Berlin und Largerhausgesellschaft  mbh, the operator of the trimodal freight hub in the heart of Berlin.

Below is the main warehouse which can be seen in the background of Lok 20.

397B1C41-AB25-4F75-B2CA-5715054440F2.jpeg.215e542742cb32c42f358aad9d72706a.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

The images are BEHALA Westhafen, one of the largest inland harbours in the EU.

BEHALA is Berlin und Largerhausgesellschaft  mbh, the operator of the trimodal freight hub in the heart of Berlin.

Below is the main warehouse which can be seen in the background of Lok 20.

397B1C41-AB25-4F75-B2CA-5715054440F2.jpeg.215e542742cb32c42f358aad9d72706a.jpeg

Those traveling cranes would be good fun to motorize.

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Nature has begun to invade.

IMG_0012_800.jpg.bf4adda80002aa233a66393764d83261.jpg

Basket liner* cut to size and painted with dilute PVA then dressed with static grass is impressive. The strip in the backround will be done later, the contrasts in texture are interesting.

Still lots to do.

*Try popping bits of basket liner in the whizzy coffee grinder thingy, repeatedly pulse and watch your fingers because the results are worth it. And wash it out afterwards.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

One last view before the diorama goes into hibernation in its storage box until life returns to normal with exhibitions. During the interval, numerous small details will be created, the stock will receive attention and Sunday running will resume on Beaminster Road

IMG_0019.JPG.c11e64130f21476faba9ddd97cb385f9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

With all further work on Chandlers Row abandoned, the MicroPlank becomes my only layout capable of being exhibited. Other options include using it for both UK and German outline, not an issue as none of the fixed items are identifiable as one or the other and the modern fuelling point can be easily replaced by coal and water. 

In the meantime, the second Trix DHG500 has been upgraded to a DHG700 by the simple expedient of a body swap using a Maerklin, my chum is more than happy to receive a DHG500 for his Maerklin layout. Hopefully, some minor upgrades to the locos will be of interest, if only to take them to the detail level of the Hobbytrade model.

In the next couple of weeks, the layout will be completed to the standard needed for exhibiting,  proper LED lighting and a coat of exterior green satinwood - very calming, then back in the storage box until.................who knows? However it is not all doom and gloom, the MicroPlank shares the workshop with Beaminster Road, it is easier to run and serves a dual purpose as a test track with challenging reverse curves as well as Kadee coupling test point. 

More soon

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

The impression of most industrial layouts is one of overall drabness, whereas the lack of care often results in encroaching nature. Only environments that are overtly hostile to nature seem to be without the green element.

The MicroPlank is unkempt and nature is rampant, finances are not wasted on neatness just as long as the track is clear.

20200822_0059.jpg.8da2d00b50ac927be9ee319095be5e88.jpg

A few of the items were removed whilst the Grassmaster went to work but now the process of applying the smaller, more delicate details can begin to be installed.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2020 at 20:28, Jack Benson said:

A happy discovery - this version of the Trix Dhg500 is NEM362 compliant, just fit any swallow tail coupling. In this case, Kadees are perfect for hands-off coupling and there are quite a few lying unused in the spares drawer.

IMG_0001a.jpg.630e3b709d7da491451520c6e652b622.jpg

The loco coupling mount is fixed, therefore #19 were used to prevent buffer lock. Kadee's have transformed my enjoyment of this hobby. Shunting, coupling and uncoupling using magnets has been so much fun and engaging.

Tiny neo-magnets rather than ramps are simply popped onto steel csk screws in the four foot as shown below.

KadeeNeo.jpg.220034593280f02397cff99e1e739da3.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Great work and an excellent idea with the magnets. May I ask which ones are you using. Do they have the same or inverted polarity on each side? Also, did you have to do fiddle much with the trip pins for the couplers to work?