Problems with 'consisiting'

Badger boy

I am starting to use a prodigy express2 controller and am having problems making up a 'consist' with locos fitted with Hornby decoders (R8249's). No problems setting up a consist with Bachmann decoders. I have 4 locos fitted with Hornby and none will consist either with each other or with a Bachmann fitted loco. I used to have a Digitrax Zephyr controller and Hornby decoders would consist with no problems. I have contacted Hornby who state that R8249 decoders support CV19 (consist) and am awaiting a call back from Gaugemaster. I have tried resetting all decoders to default (CV8 = 8) but it makes no difference. It also seems unlikely that all 4 Hornby decoders have suddenly failed so I'm thinking that the problem lies with the Prodigy Express2 ?  Any thoughts /suggestions would be most welcome as I'm losing the will to live !

I think the problem is the decoders.  Hornby's advice seems at odds with their manual.

Manual from Hornby:
https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/116

No mention of CV19.

On the Zephyr, the default consisting is "command station assist" where the command station sends duplicate instructions to each loco, so any decoder will do it, no need for it to support Advanced Consists.   On the Prodigy Express, the consist option is "advanced consist" which requires CV19.

In your hands, the Prodigy Express is creating consists in decoders which definitely support CV19.  So, no obvious fault with the Prodigy, and not a problem with user unable to understand the key presses.   

The obvious explanation is Hornby decoders in question not supporting Advanced Consisting.

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Gold

I think the guy at Hornby has got it wrong. If you look at the R8249 manual where it lists supported CVs, it makes no mention of CV 19. 

EDIT: beaten to it by Nigel by a few seconds!

Edited by RFS