Triang Blue Pullman - donor coaches/improvements - resource listing (page 3)

Thanks, Gibbo675, I knew I could rely upon some sound advice from you on this matter for Il Griffone, who it was that suggested major surgery to create the Western Region 2nd class cars.

Me? I am still pondering chopping about cheap Hornby Pullman coaches (the older type, now "Railroad") to see if I can create a kitchen car variant approximating ECML all metal K type stock. Not that I shall use this on my eventual layout, having realised these are the wrong type of Pullmans for the Southern Region (in the most part). Any Blue Pullman butchery will await me improving my skills first!!

HOURS OF FUN, FOR EVERYONE!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typo!!
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Thanks, Gibbo675, I knew I could rely upon some sound advice from you on this matter for Il Griffone, who it was that suggested major surgery to crrate the Western Region 2nd class cars.

Me? I am still pondering chopping about cheap Hornby Pullman coaches (the older type, now "Railroad") to see if I can create a kitchen car variant approximating ECML all metal K type stock. Not that Zi shall use this on my eventual layout, having realised these are the wrong type of Pullmans for the Southern Region (in the most part). Any Blue Pullman butchery will await me inproving my skills first!!

HOURS OF FUN, FOR EVERYONE!

Hi Steve,

K type Pullmans are relatively easy to cut and shut as the sides are flat and the particular grade of plastic glues really well. Painting them is another matter.

Here are some I built earlier:

DSCF0947.JPG.ec88914c47646c36c432d76efd040785.JPG

Standard K type Pullmans.

DSCF0952.JPG.975bf74c15e3c5bef359136cef18323c.JPG

Part painted set of Standard and All Steel K Types the Standard K Types have a rain strip and trussed underframes.

Std K Type:

• Brake third, 54, 62.
  • Open third, 66.
  • Kitchen third, 107.

Steel K Type:

• Brake third, 67, 77.
  • Open third, 73, 74.
  • Kitchen third, 68.
  • Kitchen first, Belinda, Thelma.
  • Parlour first, Agatha, Shelia, Ursula.

Just for fun, the Brighton Belle:

DSCF1062.JPG.01e42f4855c6d8cc62139c47e4bb6a72.JPG

Car 92, Gwen, Mona.

DSCF1063.JPG.2b2fb5c47bc07c5215d21250702ab2f9.JPG

Car 93, Car 85, Mona.

PM me for details should any one wish to see how I arranged the splices.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2020 at 21:05, stewartingram said:

As promised, pics of my old 5-car mixed Triang/Kitmaster rake, which I wish to dispose of. Done in the 70s/80s, store soon after.

WYSIWYG :-

1x motored power car, Ix dummy (Tg)

2 saloons (Tg)

1x catering car (Km).

The bogies have come adrift from the Kitmaster coach, note they are different types, one is without wheels.

All wheels are plastic.

Painted with Railmatch, transfers by Woodhead.

1 window in coach D is cracked.

Too good to throw away, anyway want it for spares/repair/whatever? Sensible offers invited, I'm not looking for a fortune, I'd rather see it put to good use.

Stewart

C2.jpg

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

C1.jpg

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

Hi did you sell this in the end? 

On 19/11/2020 at 11:03, stewartingram said:

Nope. Still on the "I want to dispose of it" shelf.

I might be interested in a coach (can't have more than a 5 car train on my layout but got 2 centre cars so far) if there's any still left for offers

12 hours ago, chris251 said:

I might be interested in a coach (can't have more than a 5 car train on my layout but got 2 centre cars so far) if there's any still left for offers

If it helps, there are examples of coach-only auctions on eBay right now - searching for "Triang Blue Pullman coach" - 

one off @ £15 (+£3.95 p&p) - no bids yet, 2 days 1 hour left [judith1951-2009];

one off @ £18.99 (+£3.75 p&p) - no bids yet, 4 days 11 hours left [rmts];

one off @ £24.00 (+£3.95 p&p) - 5 bids, 3 hours 15 mins left [judith1951-2009]

BUY IT NOW prices are a little higher:

one off @ £28.99 (+£4.00 p&p) NB with some damage to crests [the-train-shop-uk];

one off @ £29.99 (+£4.39 p&p) "excellent condition" [24762401]*;

one off @ £34.00 (+£2.90 p&p) "playworn, hand painted roof" [Iboxdartmoor5]

two off @ £39.99 (+£2.90 p&p) each [Iboxdartmoor5];

one off @ £50.00 (free postage) [egor247]

Sadly, searching for "Triang Blue Pullman" only does not bring up anything cheaper.

If you don't mind buying two power cars and an extra coach, there is a four car set currently up for auction at £36.00 (+£4.95 p&p) with 2 hours 29 minutes left and three bidders so far... so theoretically you could win a train for less than some BIN auctions are asking for a single coach!

This was a rare and totally unsolicited public service announcement!

* Isn't that the title of a R&B song?! ("Just call 24-7-6-24-zero-1")

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have been mightily shocked at the prices of Blue Pullmans £40 plus for just the power bogie yet I snagged an original all blue power car for £16, it is crazy O.o   I will have the doings for two pairs of power cars, dummy sets so the bits that go in the middle is my next mission.

Am looking with interest at MK2d's with an eye to converting to Pullman-ish at least, I put a MK2b behind my dummy car and the curvy shell profile isn't that far off the power car profile at all, painting will hide a lot of sins no doubt if the job is done well it would be hard at first glance to spot the MK2d isn't just an open saloon Pullman, it won't fool for a moment an expert but I want to put these to work rather than waiting around for the right priced original car and maybe down the line I could retain these for use with a HST set aka the Smurfs.

I have also thought that those slab sided Brighton Belle type coaches would serve as an excellent prototype for making up a Hasting's diesel 201/202 or mix and matching with MK1 EPB's for some tadpole fun.

I am guessing Phoenix BR signal yellow and Nanking Blue are suitable for the Blue Pullmans?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, sandwich station said:

I have seen sets at exhibitions made up with Mk2D's, they don't look to bad.

Have also seen the mk3 shorties used, they didn't look to bad either.

I can't find the copy of Model Rail which showed a guy who'd used Shortie Mk3s; they wouldn't win any competitions but he seemed to have produced a whole BP rake for not much more than the cost of one Tri-ang BP coach at that time.  I'm sure it was actually in the letters page of the magazine, not a full article. 

• 6 months later...
On 26/04/2021 at 21:09, Northmoor said:

I can't find the copy of Model Rail which showed a guy who'd used Shortie Mk3s; they wouldn't win any competitions but he seemed to have produced a whole BP rake for not much more than the cost of one Tri-ang BP coach at that time.  I'm sure it was actually in the letters page of the magazine, not a full article. 

You are looking for Model Rail April 2006 with a class 50 on the cover.   Page 37, under "Top Tips".

For those without access, the method consists of:

Remove the glazing strip from the short Mk3.

Remove the underframe moulding.

Sand down the roof ridges until smooth.

Cut two strips of clear glazing, same size as the original glazing strip.   Paint white leaving the windows clear.

Cut a new floor from plasticard and scratchbuild the underframe equipment.

Fit the roof access panel from plasticard.

Paint body blue and roof silver.   Apply transfers.

Fit new glazing bar.

Obviously this is cut down from the original text but should be enough to go on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

After all this time, Silver Fox on eBay are again producing side frames for the Blue Pullman, after telling me their next batch would be released once they had improved them.

Blue Pullman Power Bogies

Blue Pullman Non Power Bogies*

* These are currently showing as “out of stock” - might be worth messaging Silver Fox and requesting when the next batch will be available

On a personal note, I succumbed a few days ago and purchased the Bachmann model. Need to decide what to do about the stock of parts I’ve acquired to upgrade the Triang version! (If I could just get hold of the correct profile front, think I’d still like to have a go!)

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 2

(If I could just get hold of the correct profile front, think I’d still like to have a go!)

No doubt you have a saved search on Ebay for Genesis and Chris Leigh Midland Pullman castings?

Alternatively, do you know anyone who has the facility to 3D scan a Kitmaster or Bachmann cab end?

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

No doubt you have a saved search on Ebay for Genesis and Chris Leigh Midland Pullman castings?

Thanks, John, I have done random searches over time for them but never with any success. I’ve never mastered the art of the saved search - is that something that runs automatically?

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Alternatively, do you know anyone who has the facility to 3D scan a Kitmaster or Bachmann cab end?

Sadly no, but it’s a terrific idea (although I think Bachmann might think it a bit iffy in terms of intellectual copyright of their own model?)

Personally, it would be a whole new learning curve to master cold cure resin casting or 3D scanning/printing - I’m sure there are others who already have the necessary know how to do that (wonder if Modelu have ever thought of applying their 3D scanners to the cab of a Kitmaster Blue Pullman, for example?!)

I assume, of course, that Kitmaster copyrights have long ago expired (with the company)

Steve S

Thanks, John, I have done random searches over time for them but never with any success. I’ve never mastered the art of the saved search - is that something that runs automatically?

Sadly no, but it’s a terrific idea (although I think Bachmann might think it a bit iffy in terms of intellectual copyright of their own model?)

Personally, it would be a whole new learning curve to master cold cure resin casting or 3D scanning/printing - I’m sure there are others who already have the necessary know how to do that (wonder if Modelu have ever thought of applying their 3D scanners to the cab of a Kitmaster Blue Pullman, for example?!)

I assume, of course, that Kitmaster copyrights have long ago expired (with the company)

Steve S

Dapol own the Kitmaster brand - and use it on their old Kitmaster / Airfix railway kits.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Took my Bachmann Midland Pullman along to The Locoshed this afternoon in order to test run it (it is chipped, and I don’t have DCC - yet!) and Jim kindly let me run it around his test track.

Assembly is a b*tch - not only are the connectors awkward, but the coaches must be connected the right way around or (a) they won’t light and (b) they cause an error on the controller!

Beautiful smooth running, and the lighting functions respond exactly as expected. Disassembly and boxing up was as difficult as assembling it in the first place! Definitely one to store “on the layout”, so to speak. 

Also took along my new EFE Bulleid “Booster” loco for Jim to take a look at - ran sweet as a nut straight out of the box, and contrary to several reviews talking about dim lights I thought they were perfectly fine (under DC). The wand turned the can lights on and off as promised - although the DC controller had to have juice flowing for that to happen. Changing direction (with the Gaugemaster controller) turned the cab lights off. I assume this is expected behaviour.

Meanwhile I have some images to restore to the thread, perhaps over the weekend.

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Took my Bachmann Midland Pullman along to The Locoshed this afternoon in order to test run it (it is chipped, and I don’t have DCC - yet!) 

As supplied from Bachmann the DCC decoders fitted to the model (one in each driving car) are configured so that you can operate the train from a bog standard 12V DC controller.

In other words the train will work quite happily on both systems so there are no issues if you only have a traditional DC powered layout.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1