Hornby Controller Power Output

Sir TophamHatt

According to what its says on the unit, there is one 0 to 12v dc output, presumably the one on the right, and one 16v AC output, I'm guessing on the left. The input is also 16v AC, from a separate transformer.

Hmm. Two conflicting answers.

I'll just wait until the control boards arrive to do what I want as this should be regulated 12v output.

Unless I use the more modern Hornby controller?

I thought they were all around 16v outputs though?

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

They're both right although giz openly admits he doesn't know the layout of the unit, hence your confusion. The 0-12V DC controlled output to the track is via the cable wrapped around the unit. The uncontrolled 16V AC is via the screw terminals.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but the symbols next to the volts indicate the type of current. ~ is AC and the combined solid line and dashed line symbol means DC.

I couldn't tell you the 'power' without the current rating which isn't shown in the picture. Not sure if power is actually what you're interested in, though?

For others info, the socket on the left is the input.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Toton said:

They're both right although giz openly admits he doesn't know the layout of the unit, hence your confusion. The 0-12V DC controlled output to the track is via the cable wrapped around the unit. The uncontrolled 16V AC is via the screw terminals.

So where's the input?

17 minutes ago, Crosland said:

So where's the input?

Looking at images online, there is a 16V AC coaxial input socket at the left hand end, controlled DC to the track via the lead and the screw terminals on the right are 16V AC out.

What threw me is every dc controller I've ever had (e.g. H & M) used screw terminals for the controlled DC output.

The OPs comment about needing a regulated 12v output is a bit concerning, I don't think this unit will provide that.

• RMweb Premium

The overall power is the key to these entry level units. If a certain amount of power is being used to run the train, then it is NOT available for other devices.

Look at the separate power supply and find the ratings of that. This will provide the overall power available in total.

It's designed to be used with a specific transformer, presumably a wall wart.   It makes an awful lot of sense to use the correct transformer with the correct overload protection.  If in doubt a 1/2 amp or 1 amp polyfuse won't dent the bank balance unduly.

• Agree 1