Ground Signal Wiring

bantam61668

I have recently purchased some Schneider LED ground signals for my Swiss HO layout, these are 3 aspect signals , the following 3 combinations are used in SBB signalling (T-B stop, proceed with caution, proceed):

Signaux_suisse_nains.png.d1bbdd8e8a64db2fc2beaa58593ba2df.png

The signals have 4 wires, I assume the wires are 1 per LED and a common return, there are no instructions but it says on the box that they work at 12-16V dc or ac, Im guessing I will still need a resistor.

I’ve never installed any signalling before and electronics aren't my strong point but would the following circuit using a 3 way rotary switch work to give me the 3 desired combinations of aspects?

IMG_1727.jpg.27a00f682575118dcdc5e6af085dabea.jpg

Many thanks  in advance 

Edited by bantam61668
correction

Circuit looks fine so long as you have the polarity correct.

If the packet says they work on 12 V then that implies they have resistors built in.

I would suggest applying a low voltage to start with and increasing till you get the brightness you want, in the process you can check the polarity that works.

The Schneider website is not very forthcoming, does it come with instructions? It should for the price.

• Agree 1

No, instructions and can’t find anything useful online. Looks like each of the grey leads has a resistor on the end, does that change how I need to wire them other than obviously removing the resistor in the previous diagram?

Thankfully I didn’t pay anywhere near full price for them...
1E38B46B-4AE6-49A3-8C9C-A55D0130E062.jpeg.41133c570e907d1f2584b73e422c7674.jpeg

Just need to find out if the common wire is positive or negative.   If asked to guess, I'd guess positive (because its red), but its a guess.  A 9v DC battery (PP3) between the common (red) and one of the resistor tails will tell you which way round things are.    Then adjust diagram to suit. 

Alternative wiring of a typical 3-position, 4-pole rotary switch, using 3 of the poles.  Doesn't require any steering diodes, and if the common turns out to be common positive, just reverse the power supply.   Only elements are the switch with its three poles, and the signal LEDs with their supplied resistors.

sig1.png.d6e9370ebe57779f13bf5529b89e0e96.png

• Thanks 1