Heritage Railways Starting To Reopen

RJS1977

im hoping against hope to be able to reach both the SVR and the FR at some point in the next month or two. My bog problem is that I don't drive, so my massive headcahe is the public transport risk to and from both railways. Hence the hope, rather than the expectation.

From what i understand with teh FR, they are pursuing a small loco policy for the time being at the double fairlies are a little too big for the work required of them under the current timetables. There is apparently wry amusement on the railway that had the effort to get Welsh Pony back into steam for this year had not succeeded, the FR would be in a teeny bit of a pickle with the availability of their small engines. Needing three seperate locos (curently i believe that Linda, Prince and Taliesin are in service) to run the trains and a fourth to serve as a spare. I don't think it would hav been a problem, just anoth headache that they didn't need.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Boris said:

It's not whether they run trains or not that's the key to survival, its whether they get bums on seats or not, early indications from some railways is that advance ticket sales are poor and open tourist attractions are reporting 25-30% of normal footfall.

I suspect they have factored this into their business decisions around reopening.  No railway that I am aware of is operating with much more than 25% capacity at present.  Some of the main-line TOCs actively limit capacity by operating mandatory seat allocation while others accept all without restriction but are still way below normal levels overall (albeit some individual journeys can be well filled).  

Heritage railways will be aware that the public is still nervous about going out and travelling.  They too are required to maintain social distancing arrangements which will limit their capacity.  Even at 1m+ that is less than half the seats in use.  Some railways are using compartment stock only with each passenger or group assigned their own compartment.  

It will take time to return to anything like where we were before but it is encouraging to see some lines already up and running and indeed using steam with the need for two on the footplate.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didcot was steaming today, Lady of Legend and compartment stock, with some spirited running. Lots of other stock strategically placed and posed around the site, and with limited numbers, photographic opportunities abound.

IMG_4401.JPG.550f981c2a4c7838a54587e16dd0f0d5.JPG

Everything and everyone seemed to going about the 'new normal' without fuss, but be aware that GWR will be insisting on face coverings when passing through the station subway to gain access to the site soon (not just on their trains).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Didcot was steaming today, Lady of Legend and compartment stock, with some spirited running. Lots of other stock strategically placed and posed around the site, and with limited numbers, photographic opportunities abound.

IMG_4401.JPG.550f981c2a4c7838a54587e16dd0f0d5.JPG

Everything and everyone seemed to going about the 'new normal' without fuss, but be aware that GWR will be insisting on face coverings when passing through the station subway to gain access to the site soon (not just on their trains).

At first glance, I thought that photo was a magazine shot of a finescale O layout!  Good scenics...

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 01/07/2020 at 23:10, Kaput said:

Also as someone that travels around solo to visit heritage lines none of the ones reopening are being all that clear on whether they'll actually let a solo person book out an entire compartment.

The GCR's website refers to 'a reserved compartment for between one and six people', which implies they will- I suppose there's a bit of pragmatism at work at this early stage, in that one person booking a compartment is better than an empty one.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/reopening-july-2020/

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/07/2020 at 22:55, Davexoc said:

Nice photos but it does illustrate the problem "limited numbers", its going to be a tough winter for preserved railways, on the plus side it might mean we get a bit more winter steam as they try to keep cash coming in.

• Like 1

Re whether Heritage Railways are public transport or not, the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings on Public Transport) (England) Regulations 2020 state (my bold):

(2) “Public transport service” means any service for the carriage of passengers from place to place which is available to the general public ... but does not include—

(a) a school transport service;

(b) a taxi or private hire vehicle service;

(c) any service provided by means of a cruise ship

So by the definition in the legislation, yes they are regardless of what today's pop-up minister or the railway concerned thinks. What they are for tax, VAT or any other purposes may well be different. There is a provision further on permitting the removal of the facemask where it is "reasonably necessary" to eat or drink, there is no guidance on whether "necessary" covers a nice day out on the Pullman Diner, or is only intended to allow you to avoid dehydration or to control blood sugar levels.

Why exclude taxis? They are classed as PSV's, being allowed in bus lanes rtc. They are enclosed vehicles - more so than a bus, and rarely have screens (unless they are an FX4 type). And I've yet to see a driver wearing a mask. Also I dare bet they don't get much cleaning between fares.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Taxis are PSVs?  The operator does not require a PSV Operator's Licence with a few exceptions.  The operator must be licensed by the local authority.  The driver is not required to hold a Class D licence (the old PSV licence) in order to drive one with similar exceptions to the Operator's Licence - usually when a vehicle seats more than 8 or is used on a service where each passenger pays individually such as as shared community transport operation.  They do require a Hackney Carriage licence from the relevant local authority however if they wish to ply for trade on the streets rather than operate on a private-hire basis only.  I suspect, but have not kept up to date with the law, that "minicab" drivers need nothing whatsoever because they don't run a meter.  It is for the employer to regulate which the likes of Addison Lee and Uber do - what ever one might think - while "Jo's Cabs" at the local station might not.  

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194259/PSV_Operator_Licensing_Guide.pdf

14 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Most are allowing one person to book a whole compartment - the snag is that the single person has to pay the same price as a group of six!

Most seem to be operating a mixture of compartment and open coaches.

You can book a compartment for a group, or travel in the open coach singly or in small groups (whilst socially distanced from others).

Watching the Ffestiniog webcam it seems much more busier today.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Very sad to see the rusting rails and neglected stations of the West Somerset Railway today. Minehead and Dunster were packed with visitors.

When almost all major heritage lines are opening, what on earth is happening at the WSR? Apart from a few unfriendly keep out notices at stations there is no information. After the recent maintenance debacle, this wonderful line really needs new management before it ends up in real trouble. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, fezza said:

Very sad to see the rusting rails and neglected stations of the West Somerset Railway today. Minehead and Dunster were packed with visitors.

When almost all major heritage lines are opening, what on earth is happening at the WSR? Apart from a few unfriendly keep out notices at stations there is no information. After the recent maintenance debacle, this wonderful line really needs new management before it ends up in real trouble. 

Update from the WSR here:

Looks as if they are aiming for a Christmas reopening but with some smaller events before then.

The (understandable) thinking seems to be that they can't afford to run half-empty trains so they're waiting to see how other railways get on and hope visitor confidence builds up. In the meantime there's probably a lot they need to do to get the railway back into running condition. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Taxis are PSVs?  The operator does not require a PSV Operator's Licence with a few exceptions.  The operator must be licensed by the local authority.  The driver is not required to hold a Class D licence (the old PSV licence) in order to drive one with similar exceptions to the Operator's Licence - usually when a vehicle seats more than 8 or is used on a service where each passenger pays individually such as as shared community transport operation.  They do require a Hackney Carriage licence from the relevant local authority however if they wish to ply for trade on the streets rather than operate on a private-hire basis only.  I suspect, but have not kept up to date with the law, that "minicab" drivers need nothing whatsoever because they don't run a meter.  It is for the employer to regulate which the likes of Addison Lee and Uber do - what ever one might think - while "Jo's Cabs" at the local station might not.  

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194259/PSV_Operator_Licensing_Guide.pdf

I only used the term PSV for simplicity of words. Taxis are treated as public transport in many ways. Where cars are banned - bus lanes for instance - taxis can go. (Personally, and I have no axe to grind, I don't in practical terms see any difference in use as a vehicle, between my car ferrying my kids to their friends house, or a taxi ferrying someone to the station). Public transport to me is a bus carrying numbers of people (thus getting cars off the road). I agree with the licensing conditions for drivers and operators. But why should a (effectively) private car (hired by you) be public transport (when it suits the powers that be) or excluded from other regulations?

3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Update from the WSR here:

Looks as if they are aiming for a Christmas reopening but with some smaller events before then.

The (understandable) thinking seems to be that they can't afford to run half-empty trains so they're waiting to see how other railways get on and hope visitor confidence builds up. In the meantime there's probably a lot they need to do to get the railway back into running condition. 

It is the old WSR problem we have spoken of on here before - too much reliance on paid staff.  We have now got into the absurd situation where it pays to do nothing and keeping the railway closed is the safest option. 

As a supporter since the 1970s I do wonder how it has got to this. 

What I am hearing is that the local councils are concerned about the situation as there is an obvious  overall impact on the local economy. 

A lot of local opinion still wishes there was some way of returning it to the national network and getting in a more businesslike management team to run the heritage side. If it had survived 1970 it would probably now have the sort of all day service  enjoyed by people in Barnstaple. 

1 hour ago, fezza said:

It is the old WSR problem we have spoken of on here before - too much reliance on paid staff.

The days of an volunteer railway must be over by now.  The average high age of the typical volunteers is a liability in itself and while they might mean well, tempus is fugiting and the young volunteer is rare.

Brian.

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_TEST-TRAINS_78022_Haworth_22_07.20_06.JPG.bff7124247c04154f146f6a7fe8f3060.JPG

Worth Valley running a test train today (it was running yesterday too), on the southern end of the line; would be hard to run any further unless they can do a Starskey and Hutch over the gap in the track at Ingrow :)  They reopen in Mid-August, giving them time to get the track back down on Bridge 11 and Northern time to remove the Pacers from Keighley.  I gather it'll be compartments only and a mix of vintage stock and Mk1 Subs as per above.

• Like 1

I had my first post-lockdown steam ride yesterday ('Lady of Legend' at Didcot). That, along with seeing the Routemaster bus at South Stoke, my regular haunt of Cholsey station and a cricket match in progress at the IBIS ground (where I used to play) all did wonders for me mentally!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My local preserved line TRANSVAP seldom runs much before high Summer anyway. They seem to be holding back on steam so far this year, but last weekend saw a visit from the only X3800 'Picasso' railcar licensed to run on SNCF metals. This was coupled to the line's own model.

The cream and red unit is X4039, the visitor, while the uniquely blue and cream version is the local 93953. This had an interesting late career in Normandie, for which purpose it was rebuilt and painted in these colours. There were 251 of these units, which are very comfortable, in contrast to some of the smaller SNCF railcars.

IHD_0198.jpeg.f00cf43a817da75631c7dfb4077c98a0.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We were on the first train on the Ecclesbourn Valley from Wirksworth on Saturday. Class 14 plus 3 coaches, very nice. Beautifully restored Stanier design Porthole brake M17001 on show at Wirksworth...And good to see the compact signal box from Oddingley in Worcestershire has found a new lease of life... 

80112A60-815F-4247-8200-8BB4F1E825C6.jpeg

62AE4BF6-04CC-495E-85A5-DCBF335619F7.jpeg

98A13E6F-0D0E-4E00-A0D4-0F5F92460C69.jpeg

On 21/07/2020 at 23:18, brianusa said:

The days of an volunteer railway must be over by now.  The average high age of the typical volunteers is a liability in itself and while they might mean well, tempus is fugiting and the young volunteer is rare.

Brian.

Brian,

This certainly isn't the case at the railway I volunteer at.  We have enthusiastic volunteers across the age range, with a good proportion of youngsters.   Some departments have age profiles more skewed towards the higher end of the range than others, but your statement certainly doesn't describe our situation, nor that at a number of other railways I'm familiar with.

Regards

Alastair

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1