Mid train power for Triang Pullman

Having asked about donor coaches for the Blue Pyllman, and having searched on RMWeb for threads about improving the Triang Blue Pullman and manually checking every one of the 84 pages of the Detailing & Modifying RTR Models forum for anything applicable, I am wondering if powering the centre of the train with eg Black Beetle motor would be better than powering just one end?  But if so, what wheelbase?  Where might I find dimensions and/or scale drawings?

Sadly, the blow by blow account (on the original RMWeb site) that I was searching for will not show due to a "too many redirects" warning; if anyone can give me a direct link to that I would be most grateful, too!

Many thanks

Steve S

On 15/06/2020 at 20:45, Half-full said:

Hi Steve

If you're planning on mid train power, have a look at the Replica Railways power chassis, great smooth drive, and plenty of power! 

Thank you for the suggestion!  Looking carefully at their website and at the stock diagrams from Gibbo, it would appear that these chassis would be perfect for either the first class open parlour car, or the WR kitchen cars (which being the third vehicle in on the WR set formation have identical 8'6" bogies at both ends, as opposed to the 9'6" auxiliary motor bogie at the end next to the driving car, as per the MR sets)

The only detail I am still looking for is whether the wheels should be 3' or 3'6" (12mm or 14mm diameter).  If the former, it would appear that Replica Railways are sold out; if the latter, I think there is more than enough power in the two bogies to drive a six coach set!  

Best news so far is that these chassis appear to avoid the dreaded friction tyre!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Bl@@dy typo!

Not being happy with the idea of propelling 7/8 cars, I was going to fit the original Tri-ang motor bogies* in the kitchen-restaurant cars on my 8 car set. Early tests showed that one power bogie struggled with 5 cars.  The wheels appear to have been 3' 6" on the prototype (see drawings below).

* The Tri-ang power pushes the power car (it's pivoted under the roof in a rather eccentric manner) - other better (but probably less reliable?) bogies are available.

Drawings here (under DMU - BR.653 on) :-

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

Edited by Il Grifone

Guest Half-full

Another option is to use the chassis from a cheap Dapol 121/122 - Hattons have some for 79 quid at the moment, sell the body on to recoup some of the cost back

I used two Black beetles in my 8 car set(in the car behind/in front of the power car), with additional pick-ups on the other bogie. Never got around to DCCing it and now sits almost forgotten in a box in the shed.

• Informative/Useful 1