Rails of Sheffield shipping questions

Hello,

i recently ordered the Bachmann Jinty from Rails, i ordered it on May 24th, 2020 and the payment was just taken on June 13th, i live in the US and this is my first time ordering from them, how long would it take to arrive given the current situation? I am hoping to get it soon, but i have no way (to my knowledge) of tracking my order.

Guest Half-full
53 minutes ago, ForeverAutumn said:

Hello,

i recently ordered the Bachmann Jinty from Rails, i ordered it on May 24th, 2020 and the payment was just taken on June 13th, i live in the US and this is my first time ordering from them, how long would it take to arrive given the current situation? I am hoping to get it soon, but i have no way (to my knowledge) of tracking my order.

You are best to contact Rails, rather than ask the question on here

If payment was only taken on 13th June, then I'd assume that will be the date of dispatch from Sheffield, which probably means it hasn't left the UK yet, but will probably do so soon.  How long it takes to get to you in the US will largely depend on US Customs.  Having ordered from a model shop in the US last year, it seemed to take at least three weeks before it got to me in the UK, but at least two weeks of that seemed to be customs clearance in the UK and then writing to me to pay the import VAT before it could be delivered.  Ultimately, it will take as long as it takes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

If payment was only taken on 13th June, then I'd assume that will be the date of dispatch from Sheffield, which probably means it hasn't left the UK yet, but will probably do so soon.  How long it takes to get to you in the US will largely depend on US Customs.  Having ordered from a model shop in the US last year, it seemed to take at least three weeks before it got to me in the UK, but at least two weeks of that seemed to be customs clearance in the UK and then writing to me to pay the import VAT before it could be delivered.  Ultimately, it will take as long as it takes.

ah the customs, i guess i shall wait and see!

There shouldn't be an issue with US customs as toy trains are duty free everywhere, and sales tax doesn't come into it, unlike in the UK where VAT is payable on almost everything.

Even under 'normal' conditions parcels from the UK typically take 2-3 weeks to get to the US, right now I would guess that you should expect anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

For me that's the main downside of the Bachmann/Hattons dispute, in that Hattons are the only UK retailer that I am aware of that offers tracked shipments to the US (via DHL).

With everyone else you just have to wait hopefully.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpendle said:

There shouldn't be an issue with US customs as toy trains are duty free everywhere, and sales tax doesn't come into it, unlike in the UK where VAT is payable on almost everything.

Even under 'normal' conditions parcels from the UK typically take 2-3 weeks to get to the US, right now I would guess that you should expect anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

For me that's the main downside of the Bachmann/Hattons dispute, in that Hattons are the only UK retailer that I am aware of that offers tracked shipments to the US (via DHL).

With everyone else you just have to wait hopefully.

Regards,

John P

i wasn't aware of any dispute, haven't ordered from Hattons before, new to this sorta thing y'know

12 hours ago, ForeverAutumn said:

i wasn't aware of any dispute, haven't ordered from Hattons before, new to this sorta thing y'know

Hattons no longer sell Bachmann/Farish products.

John P

• Like 1

I must say it's a shame Rails don't provide tracking numbers on international orders. I placed an order this morning and although it's already been shipped, I'll have no way of knowing if I'll get it early next week, late next week or sometime the week after, whereas with a tracking number I'd have some idea where it's up to.

The parcels have tracking numbers on them and they no doubt know this number before even sticking the label on, so it seems a bit odd to keep customers guessing as to which week their parcel will arrive. I'm sure it would require no more than a quick barcode scan for the information to be displayed next to the order on the website. It's strange how a delayed parcel is less annoying when you know it's delayed than when it simply doesn't turn up the week you expected it...

Hopefully they read the forum from time to time ;);)

Alan