JimRead

Brillig (4 o'clock in the afternoon) a might not have been in Herefordshire. My 2nd go at 00.

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

Lurking through this forum again I came Across Mark's 'Tyteford' he kindly helped me with the source of his backscene. As these things happen on another site nowt to do with railways but with loads of adverts, I saw an eBay listing for an Airfix 0-4-2. I'd had a go at 00 a few years ago, given up and given what I'd bought away.

I won the auction and thought I'd better have another go, I set to and scribbled a few track plans on some Tesco receipts. What I wanted was; a little station where I could leave stuff and still be able to shunt other stuff about, no more than four points, a kick back siding and interesting shunting. [edit] Looking at it now I'll have to move the points a bit to the right I think.

TrackPlan.jpg.4cd7e07152aff038deae3ef855750508.jpg

I popped over to Scott's model railway controller page to see if he had anything different on there. He'd altered the Gaugemaster style controller because he could no longer get one of the components in NZ.

30434712_GaugemasterStyle-FollowerTypeController-Circuit(1).jpg.08d6d9a87c1f8aec7af41440c7be0c5c.jpg

I've bought some Code 75 rail, I'll make some track, breadboard the controller I have some transistors but not quite the ones on here but they'll do and see how the loco runs.

Cheers

[edit2} I found the link to the 0-4-2 on an audio site, I'm making another amplifier, now on here I see adverts for audio stuff, this is what you find, just goes to show, they work :-)

Edited by JimRead
  • Like 4

You will need much more than 3'6".  I would avoid kick-back sidings and reverse the three-way point.

My simple branch terminal has a three-way and two points.  From the end of the three-way to the buffers is 6'.

Station4.jpg

station.jpg

• Like 6

Misread the opening post - not really awake yet, I thought you were planning a layout to fit onto a Tesco receipt (Micro!).  How well does the 0-4-2 run?  I was given an old Airfix one a year or so ago and despite it’s age it’s a decent performer (just a bit of oil on the coupling rods).  I was really impressed - a lot of engines still around from the 1970s are now very noisy runners.  Hope the project goes well, Keith.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the comment that's good of you, your layout is lovely you've captured the GWR atmosphere per fectly, very well done indeed.

You may have heard of your late countryman Carl Arendt the web site is well worth looking at, continued now by a lovely guy in Germany. Carl issued a challenge to modellers, to make a working layout in 4 sq ft or less, they are called Micro layouts.

May I ask you to refer to the criteria in my first post above, read it, look at and understand the implications of the 3 way and its interaction with the 3 road traverser. I like complex shunting, what I do is to scribble layouts on odd bits of paper, if I can mentally envisage all the movements then it will be dead boring for me to operate, if I can't see an end to the movements then it will be a delight.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the comment nice of you, I haven't received the 0-4-2 yet I only won it last night. I did have one before and was as you were impressed, very much so with that heavily wound 5 pole motor. As far as I can recall it was very quiet even with the controller above being a pulsed/feedback design. It boils down to lots of power not doing very much I suppose :-)

Cheers both

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Jim, an interesting site, I'll have to study it in more depth.  Incidentally I am a displaced Brit and have tried but cannot get too interested in US HO, although I did build, and subsequently sold, a 4'x8' On30 roundy layout!

i believe I know where you are coming from but describe myself as a builder not an operator.  I spent several years building the On30 layout but got bored operating it even though I thought it had plenty of operating potential and used magnet operated Kadee couplers.  My GWR layout is more of a scenic test track with very little operating potential.  Some micro layouts seem to be similar, rather a scenic exercise than a plaything.  I think what you are looking for is often described as an inglenook which has deliberately short sidings and loops to make things awkward!

Good luck, I will be following your progress.  I hope you will be using Electrofrog points for better running of something like the 0-4-2.

Edited by Jeff Smith

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the reply good of you. We all come at this pastime from our own experience and our own inclinations towards an aspect that satisfies us.

Mine is and always has been slow running and shunting, I had to learn electronics in order to make a proper controller to do it. The joy of the precise control I can get has never left me, at shows I still see whole trains stopping instantly and wonder where the model ambulances are :-)

When I first started making micro layouts in 2010 I did look at the Inglenook, and I apologise to those who love them, but realised that for me they would be dead boring and I came up with this layout.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hello all,

Whilst awaiting the delivery of some more items I made a point making trammel I'm going to try for 18" radius, I've left a bit on the end of the cane if I have to go a bit bigger.

Piece of cane a screw through one end tapered pencil the other

Trammel1.jpg.79e6017f3aa5214a79caec36703b40ac.jpg

The two holes are 16.5mm apart (roughly) top one 6.0mm bottom one 3.0mm.

Trammel2.jpg.dbb0e052289ae3021bf1f0b31b6c4f50.jpg

I draw two lines on A4 paper  16.5mm apart put the drawing on the floor, use the screw to dig into the carpet a bit, get the trammel at right angles by eye and draw the first line from the tie bar, where it crosses the lower line is the frog. Do the same with the pencil in the other hole, hey presto, a point, just like that!

From that I can produce a proper drawing and use it to make the points on. Using layers in Photoshop I can make the 3 way drawing.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

Still fiddling about, the drawing is two 16.5mm lines 24mm apart the 6ft way. When the rail and the roller gauge arrive I'm going to super glue it to the drawing to make a little test track. I used my 18" trammel to do the radii and it will simulate a crossover. I want to make sure that the 0-4-2 will go through it.

ElecParts.jpg.86c1d4177c487e3c2536a63aff2193a3.jpg

Some bits have arrived the electronic bits from Cricklewood Electronics cost a tenner. I will build the controller on some Matrix board a really old fashioned way of doing it where the components are soldered to each other, it's easy and fast.

More soon

Cheers - Jim

Edited by JimRead
speeling
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The Peco spacing is greater than a scale 6' due to bogie vehicle overhang, especially on double curved track and the fact that OO is undergauge.  This may not affect your basically straight layout though!

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your comment I do appreciate it, I must admit I hadn't thought of that one. I'm not going to use Peco track and I'm only going to use 9 -10-12ft wheel base stuff.

Cheers and thanks - Jim

• Like 1

Hello all,

My Airfix 14xx arrived this afternoon, doesn't look as though its had much use.

14xx1.jpg.110524a82bd61b9cb90b23cc79b8141b.jpg

After I bought it I read that they didn't run very well, caveat emptor! I stripped it down and found some really convoluted ways of getting power to the motor, the plunger pickups just resting on a copper strip and the 'peg' out of the motor with a spring and a tiny little contact brush, say no more.

I will use some PCB stuff and solder on some nickel silver strip and spring it in contact with each wheel.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 2

Hi Jim.

I'm sure you will get that loco up and running in no time,  I bought a class 08 shunter ( early Hornby one ) and made some pick ups out of some copper wire and joined them all ( one per wheel ) up and it runs beautifully,  no stalling etc.

Good luck with your oo gauge layout,  I really enjoyed your O gauge ones and your cardboard rolling stock.

Jerry. 

5 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello all,

My Airfix 14xx arrived this afternoon, doesn't look as though its had much use.

After I bought it I read that they didn't run very well, caveat emptor!

HI Jim,

Just a quick suggestion. Try to source a replacement wheelset for the inner drivers (the one without the gear). As it stands, it has a groove that traction tyres used to sit in, which won't help the running qualities (particularly over points) any good. Any plain 'normal' tyred replacements from the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby chassis will do.

I'd have sent you the last two plain spares that I have, but they went under my original 70's Aiirfix Autotank, which runs like a dream!

Hello Jerry,

Nice to hear from you again, I hope you and yours are all OK
Thanks for the message and the encouragement good of you.

Hello Dave,

Many thanks for the message and for the helpful information, I had a look around and see that Airfix chassis are rather costly. But then I found a Hornby wheelset at a good price, but they're out of stock 'temporarily' they say, I've sent them a message and hope to get a reply soon.

It's very good of you to make that offer I do appreciate the thought.

Cheers and thanks both - Jim

Hi Jim.

Rummaging around in my box of bits I found an old chassis this morning,  I haven't taken much notice of it as I had to go out early this morning,  when I get back i will find out more and if it's of any use you are welcome to have it. 

I will get back to you.

Jerry. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim. 

We are all ok here,  thanks for asking, hope you are ok too.

I'm back home now and hope you don't mind me posting a couple of photos of the chassis I have lying about:

20200621_161009.jpg.900b983b1653c1d1f3059a6d96608f1e.jpg

20200621_160945.jpg.411d61f23de9286bbac723c2c21798d8.jpg

I think it's an old Hornby chassis,  if it's any good to you, you are welcome to have it. 

Jerry. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Jerry,

Many thanks for doing that it's very good of you, sadly those aren't the wheels I need. They are good old Hornby ones though and really suit small 0 Gauge loco's that need 3ft diameter wheels.

Cheers I'm grateful to you.

Jim

No worries Jim,

I hope you get the right ones soon. 

Jerry. 

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

My 14xx awaits a pair of wheels......

I thought I would look around for something and found this in The Chronicles of Boulton's siding. The Brymbo Iron Works sent Mr Boulton two wagon loads of loco bits and pieces, the outcome was 'Brymbo'.

Brymbo750.jpg.33bf2355e094a5bc70771350abb9bc8c.jpg

In the same manner I will shorten it a bit from the back end to make it equal ended and put a cab on it. I must find some card to make it from and do a working drawing.

More soon.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I finished my 'rebuild' of Brymbo I tried various way of doing it and eventually lowered the saddle tank to make the cab look a bit better. The original was quite tall. I've bought some 4ft diameter wheels and a 40:1 worm and gear. The motor is a little open frame 5 pole skewed armature jobbie coming from China.

Brymbo00_700.jpg.e788a5508d40e15763f023d94c6e2535.jpg

I made the frame sides from artists mount board the slots are for a pair of High Level Models hornblocks I thought I'd got a pair left over from previous builds but can't find them so I've ordered some more.

BrymboChassis01.jpg.b72963bd9ae9e8a9fd2de566c323f3af.jpg

While I'm waiting I'll have a bash at making Scott's new controller circuit, I'll build that into the layout.

Cheers - Jim

[edit] link to Scott's controller page

Edited by JimRead
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello all,

This is my first 00 wagon 'kit';

CamRlyVanKit.jpg.6881a8d25e72ca92f7dd2f39efd3f344.jpg

I'm going to use the Dapol chassis to put it on, I doubt my ability to make axle boxes etc from card an paper in this scale. But at least I can make the bodies.

It's printed onto Tesco's cheapo paper and stuck to artists mount board with a PVA glue stick.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hello all,

Stage two of the van body build,

CamRlyVanKit2.jpg.9d9ae8209ee9af47c41c5fac563808e5.jpg

The planking lines cut and peeled out with the craft knife point
Next is the framing.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Wish I could afford a decent printer!!

[don't use one often, and inks are so costly....even buying a cheap printer turns out to be a nightmare economy!]

Hello Jim.  Your van reminds me of the ERG kits marketed some decades ago.  What is the process for arriving at the drawings as shown in your previous photo?

Regards,

Terry

Hello Alastair,

I never pay much for a printer I'm an old cheapskate, at the moment I've got a Canon all in one thingy it's one of those that take 5 separate cartridges. I bought it with some replacement cartridges in it and recently bought some more £13.00 for 3 sets and they are the XL size ones.

Hello Terry,

Your right about Mr Gray it's his method I use :-)

I use the pics from the GANSG site, scroll down to Appendix 2 for lots of drawings, further down there are instructions to download the site for offline browsing. I use a known dimension e.g. wheel dia, measure the drawing in Photoshop and then work out the factor to re-scale it. 

Cheers both - Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3