Scaling up

Ian Holmes

I've started doing some doodling for an O scale Micro layout. In trying to get a feel for the track size and layout. 

I photocopied and enlarged some PECO OO scale pointwork. My question is.

I enlarged a PECO code 75 small "Y" point up to O scale. Would short 4 wheel locomotives like Pecketts and Sentinels run through this OK? 

I think the radius would scale up to 42"

Ian

Instead of enlarging 4mm scale plans, why not use the 7mm scale plans that Peco provide here? At least you are not scaling up the very narrow gauge 4mm product to an unrepresentative 7mm scale gauge.

In the 7mm scale product descriptions, Peco claim a nominal radius of 1828mm (approx 72") for their medium radius points. You should be able to run any commercially-produced locos and stock through them without problems. 

Dave

• Agree 1

On my last O gauge layout I used Peco points,the largest engine I have is an LMS jubilee and that ran through a Y turnout trouble free. I am starting an O gauge micro at the moment to use some old track and buildings. It’s more a diorama really but good luck with your project. 

Edited by Hibelroad

8 hours ago, daifly said:

Instead of enlarging 4mm scale plans, why not use the 7mm scale plans that Peco provide here? At least you are not scaling up the very narrow gauge 4mm product to an unrepresentative 7mm scale gauge.

In the 7mm scale product descriptions, Peco claim a nominal radius of 1828mm (approx 72") for their medium radius points. You should be able to run any commercially-produced locos and stock through them without problems. 

Dave

Because a plan for a small radius Y point is not available. There doesn’t even seem to be plans for the new “unifrog “ setback points out there. 

ian

6 hours ago, tractionman said:

There's also Anyrail (https://www.anyrail.com/en) that has libraries for 0 gauge and their trial version of the software has plenty of scope for designing track-plans for smaller layouts.

Do share your doodlings!

cheers,

Keith

Anyrail, also does not seem to be available for Mac.

Doodles coming soon, that might help explain what I’m after too.

ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Ian Holmes said:

Templot is not available for Mac

ian

I use Templot on my Mac (via Crossover)

6 minutes ago, Ian Holmes said:

Because a plan for a small radius Y point is not available. There doesn’t even seem to be plans for the new “unifrog “ setback points out there. 

Small radius Y points look like what they are - a horrid compromise of modelling space vs reality!

Dave

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, daifly said:

Small radius Y points look like what they are - a horrid compromise of modelling space vs reality!

Dave

Agreed. But as my chosen subject is an industrial quarry railway, I figured I could probably get away with it. 

ian

1 hour ago, Ian Holmes said:

There doesn’t even seem to be plans for the new “unifrog “ setback points out there. 

Plans for the Unifrog Settrack points are available on the Tower Models website.

For my 7mm layout I thought the Peco standard turnout was a bit too long.  I used the Peco 00 template for a small radius turnout and built a couple of those for my station crossover.  You need to watch the scaling because of the gauge, and I found that using 199% (instead of 175%) was just right.  This gives a proportionately slightly longer turnout than if you scaled up directly.

P1010218.JPG.297ba69121a1a662165655c8929196ab.JPG

John

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brossard said:

For my 7mm layout I thought the Peco standard turnout was a bit too long.  I used the Peco 00 template for a small radius turnout and built a couple of those for my station crossover.  You need to watch the scaling because of the gauge, and I found that using 199% (instead of 175%) was just right.  This gives a proportionately slightly longer turnout than if you scaled up directly.

P1010218.JPG.297ba69121a1a662165655c8929196ab.JPG

John

I like the sound of that idea. Thanks 

Ian

• Like 1

If I can build a point from C & L and Peco components using Templot,anyone can.

Good Luck,

atb

Phil.