Tanyglaslyn - the latest project. (The thread formally known as Lockdown Projects)

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Fine work. Very atmospheric.

steve

2 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello Karl,

You've certainly created an atmosphere with this layout, it looks like it's about to pour with rain, in 1947. Very well done indeed. Great photographs too, you've got a great deal of patience, I know how difficult it is.

If you photographed the build from the start it would be lovely to see the whole thing.

Cheers

Thankyou very much. I didn't really document the build but have a few phone photos taken that show some stages.

Below are three showing the original board getting marked up with the original idea which was changed a few times during the phase shown in the second photo. The 3rd one shows the revised plan with an added track running over a sheet of paper cut to the size of the Bachmann gatehouse as I just fancied having a model running through that like you see in lots of industrial settings.

IMG_20190209_114736323.jpg

IMG_20190224_122103410.jpg

IMG_20190302_202417058.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 4

I can add a few others up. The plan originally came from wanting to build a Clyde Puffer and having somewhere to display it along with a lot of small pecketts/sentinels etc. So I fancied having a go at something which featured a few things I wanted which were...

- The puffer

- Rails under an overhead crane

- a run round loop

- Rails through cobbles.

So from that rough 'wish list' it just grew organically.

Gauging for the archway and first lighting test. In the gauging a J94 did fit through the arch, just, but the track moved about 1mm when tacking down and now anything larger than the Pecketts (or one of the many Hardy's Hobbies engines I now have) clip the back door in the archway and don't fit through.

IMG_20190308_202746065.jpg

IMG_20190402_210519246.jpg

IMG_20190402_210644781.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 months later...

Good evening everyone,

Inspired by the models in the micros and box file thread and with a week off work I decided to have a go at a small wharf side box file layout and thought I'd share my efforts here. So this is 'Lockdown Wharf'.

The warehouse are from the excellent JSM models, the boat is a very good Langley kit with a scencraft crane and wills sheets used for the canal banking and the walls. The bridge parapets are from the 'Greenwood laser' range and whilst a fine kit I think may be a bit big on this. The big Bagnall in the background is one of my 6 or 7 models from the Hardy range.

Happy modelling everyone!

Karl

Lockdown-Wharf-1-2197.jpg

Lockdown-Wharf-2-2190.jpg

Lockdown-Wharf-3-2192.jpg

Lockdown-Wharf-4-2189.jpg

• Like 14

• Karl changed the title to Unnamed Quay and Lockdown Wharf
14 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Karl you have produced a stunning life wharf themed layout. BTW I do like the crane a lot.:good:

Thankyou very much Kevin that is very kind. I must confess though that the crane is straight out of a Bachmann scene craft box! I had one to build but I decided it wouldn't look right so I bought that instead.

One from today with the Canal boat out of the way so that the 'water' can dry with two Scottish engines. I thought I'd follow Graham Muz and Canute Road Quay in making it more or less regionless so that I could run engines from any region on it.

Lcokdown Wharf-2250.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Karl there is something about black and white pictures. They capture a scene really well, thanks for sharing.

I agree that B&W really can capture a scene and can make models look less like a model too. Thankyou very much for your comments, I'm not really one for commenting as I never know what to say and fear sounding daft plus spend most of my time in awe of what people produce on here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastalview said:

Hi Karl

You have really captured the feel of a dockside layout it looks great and I love the photos.

You have given me the inspiration to start work on restoring a dockside layout I acquired a little while ago.

Chris

Good evening Chris!

Thankyou very much! The larger dock layout (larger only because the wharf is a box file and the dock is 80x40cm) is sadly not very accessible at the moment. But I've a few other photos here from earlier in the year.

It'd be great to see photos of yours when you're done with it! It's strange that I take photos of steam around the country and try to maximise the landscape but in modelling I seem to focus on cramped industrial!

Kind regards

Karl

Unnamed Dock 30.5.20-1005.jpg

Unnamed dock 30.5.20-1017.jpg

Unnamed dock 30.5.20-.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My next project will be based on a Wharf or Quay also very much inspired by Canute Quay.

Ive been getting a few bit bits and pieces together including 60” x 18” Tim Horn baseboard and few buildings and kits.

I feel it’s going to be a long winter with no exhibitions. preserved railways or clubroom activities and you can only watch so much football 

Terry 

12 hours ago, coastalview said:

Hi Karl

They look great, I'll do some shots of what I am working on when I get a chance. 

I know exactly what you mean  about photography.  With a model railway the close in shot works so well.

Regards

Chris

They'll be good to see! 

8 hours ago, ELTEL said:

My next project will be based on a Wharf or Quay also very much inspired by Canute Quay.

Ive been getting a few bit bits and pieces together including 60” x 18” Tim Horn baseboard and few buildings and kits.

I feel it’s going to be a long winter with no exhibitions. preserved railways or clubroom activities and you can only watch so much football 

Terry 

It certainly does look like it's going to be a long winter ahead and with no ability to go anywhere I think there's going to be lots of modelling done. At least it allows you some escapism! I was fortunate to make two trips to photograph the Jacobite when we could get around!

Please let us see how you're model develops!  I've nowhere for a large layout currently so already thinking of the next box file...

• Like 1

At risk of boring people a few more photos. Working at home allowed me to exploit the sunshine this morning for a quick photo call and then this lunchtime the post brought the chains I've been waiting for for under the hoods.

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2263.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2325.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2268.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2307.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 2.11.20-2320.jpg

• Like 12

I agree with @coastalview, this is a simple yet fascinating little scene - espicaly as I've just started building something fairly similar in concept.

Do you think you could take some track-level or scale-figure-eye-view photos? I think they'd really show off the scale of the warehouses. Adding one or two figures might help too.

I'm interested to see what you'll do with another box!

On 02/11/2020 at 21:55, coastalview said:

Nothing boring there Karl. Keep up the good work and let us see the next box layout as it develops.

Chris

On 02/11/2020 at 22:51, TechnicArrow said:

I agree with @coastalview, this is a simple yet fascinating little scene - espicaly as I've just started building something fairly similar in concept.

Do you think you could take some track-level or scale-figure-eye-view photos? I think they'd really show off the scale of the warehouses. Adding one or two figures might help too.

Thankyou very much both. I'm going to have a think over the next few days, I was planning a colliery but I measured it up and can't make it work with a pit head gear so that might have to wait until I have some more room. Maybe a shed scene or a country Branchline terminus but the latter may be better for a really useful box layout. At least there's plenty of time and this weekends Virtual exhibition might provide some inspiration, I do think box files lend themselves to industrial and cramped scenes though so it may be something along those lines again!

Edited by Karl
Typo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

I kept intending to put people on and forgetting!  By removing the boat I could take a few low level ones so as requested! Would love to see your interpretation of the concept!

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-7.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-6.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-3.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-5.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-4.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-1.jpg

Lockdown Wharf 3.11.20-2.jpg

• Like 12

4 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

This. This is perfect! Just needs some smoke drifting from the loco's funnel. 

As for my version, "Alexandra Wharf", there's a link to my progress thread in my signature I think.

4 hours ago, coastalview said:

@Karl another lovely group of shots 

Thankyou very much, I had thought about putting cotton wool in the chimney to see if that gave the impression of steam.

• Like 1