Tanyglaslyn - the latest project. (The thread formally known as Lockdown Projects)

30 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Very nice Karl, the locos look great in the daylight. You can’t beat a natural back scene.:good:

Thanks! I do my own renumbering but the weathering on the engines themselves is GrimyTimes. I have done the buildings but haven't got the confidence that I won't ruin an engine in attempting weathering myself and Grimytimes do a great job, which I think is shown in real daylight.

15 minutes ago, metijg said:

Amazing, inspirational stuff!!

Can I ask, did you scratch build the hopper, or is it available as a kit?

thanks!

Thankyou very much. 

The hopper is the Peco Coaling tower kit built straight from the box except for using a different ladder as the one in the kit didn't fit in the space available. Then just painted and weathered.

Here we go again, following the two dioramas this time a micro layout to fit the scenic section in a 22l box file.

So a simple station and siding is now planned, baseboards measure and cut yesterday, track work sorted and wired today and tested using the newly arrived Silver Fox No. 11150, a lovely little diesel shunter. To fit it in the 70ish cm scenic section (I need about 5cm some space for the point levers and lighting switches) it'll be a run in, set back, and run round completed using a traveser/fiddle yard. The station will be for 1 coach + van + Std tank/Ivatt 2 2-6-0.

IMG_20201212_201000936.jpg.3975785bcd3a58ff257ac8fcef5abd18.jpg

IMG_20201213_160918871.jpg.abfe9772ada899b69e7414c64124c8dd.jpg

IMG_20201213_170821621.jpg.4c4f7b1bafc6880f9803486ed3d83b93.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

Shunter looks good from the distant view :). What's the station building,? I struggled to find simple, small sloped roof station kits.

I'm very impressed with the shunter, it's a lovely runner and looks really good.

The station building is actually just the Bachmann Scenecraft Wooden Waiting Room 44-136. I've just repainted it from Red timber detail to a very dark brown and added a cut down Wills chimney.

55 minutes ago, Karl said:

I'm very impressed with the shunter, it's a lovely runner and looks really good.

The station building is actually just the Bachmann Scenecraft Wooden Waiting Room 44-136. I've just repainted it from Red timber detail to a very dark brown and added a cut down Wills chimney.

Ah - the Scenecraft stuff is prebuilt rather than kit isn't it? Probably why I didn't spot it when I was looking for something I could kit bash for Loch Tay/Killin.  

2 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Ah - the Scenecraft stuff is prebuilt rather than kit isn't it? Probably why I didn't spot it when I was looking for something I could kit bash for Loch Tay/Killin.  

As you say the scenecraft items are prebuilt. I actually think that building though is the nearest I've seen to loch Tay in model form and even it would need some quite major surgery. I'm planning to make this a fictional Scottish branch line so I thought it would be a reasonable building to use with a few touches.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

A small update with some of the developments. It is progressing slowly and needs what has been done blending together more.

IMG_20201218_171905236_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20201218_162620837.jpg

And a rather cruel phone photo of the station building with signs now added.

IMG_20201218_201618094.jpg.c8e5ce8820f21eeaecb9254fe130e648.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 6