WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SURREY HILLS MRC?

TEAMYAKIMA

Hello

I'm doing some research into my club's history and I have come across reference us taking a TT layout to a THREE day  Exhibition in October 1963 organised by the Surrey Hills MRC - it appears to no longer exist, or has it just changed its name?

Just interested to know - can anyone help?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Was this at the Dorking Halls? There was an annual exhibition for a few years in the '60s. I think the organiser gave his address as Dorking Market, which disappeared some years ago to make way for M&S and a bijou precinct. 

31 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Was this at the Dorking Halls? 

Yes and it appears it had a VERY ambitious exhibition for 1963 - Friday, Saturday and Sunday - combined with model engineering.

Twickenham MRC took a layout there that year - I can scarcely believe this, but here is a piece in Railway Modeller at the time - note the set up time!

EPSON146.JPG.dad927fd94f74c21c2354809027ece55.JPG

• RMweb Gold

I went that year and every one afterwards. I think it fizzled out in the early '70s. ISTR the Capital Model Railroaders wowed me with their HO US layout in 1971. I have to confess that for the 1966 event I was part of Reigate Model Car Racing Club's display. 

I think Dorking Halls still hosts the Leith Hill Festival, a musical celebration founded by Ralph Vaughan-Williams, who lived locally. A large bust of the composer sits outside these days. Sherry and I both sang in Festival events in our early yoof, and our senior skool hired the place for oratorio performances in which we were again singers. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

VERY ambitious exhibition for 1963 - Friday, Saturday and Sunday

There was a bit of a thing for Friday opening of exhibitions that straggled on well into the 1970s, maybe the 1980s. Croydon was one that did it, opening IIRC at lunchtime on Friday to catch an after work (POETS) crowd. It was leaning on a barrier there on a Friday afternoon, chatting to a chap next to me as we admired a layout, that I turned to look at him and discovered that he was Dennis Waterman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

.......I think Dorking Halls still hosts the Leith Hill Festival, a musical celebration founded by Ralph Vaughan-Williams, who lived locally. A large bust of the composer sits outside these days. Sherry and I both sang in Festival events in our early yoof, and our senior skool hired the place for oratorio performances in which we were again singers. 

http://www.lhmf.org.uk/sing/music/music-2021/

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

There was a bit of a thing for Friday opening of exhibitions that straggled on well into the 1970s, maybe the 1980s. Croydon was one that did it, opening IIRC at lunchtime on Friday to catch an after work (POETS) crowd. It was leaning on a barrier there on a Friday afternoon, chatting to a chap next to me as we admired a layout, that I turned to look at him and discovered that he was Dennis Waterman.

In the "dim & distant", I guess the 60s & 70s, the Ilford Model Railway club show was Friday/Sat/Sun in the old Ilford Town Hall (I say, old but I've not been to the area for a while so it might still be) on the High Street.  The show was in November, so it always seemed to be inclement weather.  I remember a large scale tram layout in front of the stage every year, but that's the only layout I recall (perhaps I was too short to see the others!).  I remember a local shop called "Page's" had a stand every year.

jh

• RMweb Premium

More from the archives:

https://archive.org/details/RailwayModellerAugust1963/page/n31/mode/1up

https://archive.org/details/RailwayModeller1964January/page/n37/mode/1up

http://www.lurs.org.uk/UN58 OCT 1966.pdf (last page)

The first article confirms that the Secretary was Sidney H White of 4, The Market, Dorking.

• Informative/Useful 1