Loch Dorn

This is my first post here. I have decided to build a micro layout using mostly bits that l have to hand as l am unable to go to busy shops as my wife is still having to shield. I have an old Ikea Lack side table 55x55cm which l have sliced down the middle and joined end to end 110x27.5cm. I am using s/h Peco code 100 track. The layout will be a small Scottish Terminus as l have some Heljan 26s and 27s l wish to run.

• RMweb Premium

Looks great.  Could I ask what you’ve used for ballast - it looks very neat and you’ve managed to ballast under the points?  I’ve had to avoid doing them on the layout I’m building as I was too concerned the point blades would stick and it’s a bit too obvious.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Looks great.  Could I ask what you’ve used for ballast - it looks very neat and you’ve managed to ballast under the points?  I’ve had to avoid doing them on the layout I’m building as I was too concerned the point blades would stick and it’s a bit too obvious.

Thanks for the compliment. I laid the track using double sided adhesive Ducktape and pressed the ballast onto this carefully avoiding the tiebars. The other areas l ballasted with a mixture of grey ballast, green scatter and dried teabag dust.

20200617_130919.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have done a bit more ballasting and fixed the platform and station building in place.  The grounded van body is hiding the point motor. Everything else is just placed to give an idea of how it could look. More greenery, a chimney for the station building and lots of details still to do.

20200619_132242.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

In the spirit of the times, should'nt it be 'Lock Doon' ?

Nice layout plan , crisp and tidy track , just enough to provide a lot of fun to operate, cant go wrong with Birmingham Sulzers  (26,27)

-suppose you could multi mode with different eras too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Perhaps given the current circumstances, you could consider changing the name (temporarily) to Loch Down?

Since it's Scotland that should be Loch Doun...

ah someone beat me to it, I really shouldn't read threads backwards..

Edited by TheQ