CDC Models LNER J68/J69 - any experience?

nathan70000

I've noticed recently that a supplier by the name of "CDC Models" is supplying 3D printed (and painted!) locomotive bodies on eBay to fit on RTR chassis, which at the moment seems to limited to the J68/69 and the NLR tanks that were used on the Cromford and High Peak. All of them are priced at a very reasonable £42, and if you can get the required ex-Dapol Terrier chassis cheap the complete loco should come in at about £70-80.

Has anyone here bought one of their models? They seem very affordable for what they are and the phrase "too good to be true" springs to mind. I realise there will be dimensional compromises, but with no RTR Buckjumper on the horizon I'm seriously considering one to complement my other ex-GE locos.

On 17/06/2020 at 15:27, teaky said:

SEM34090, who is connected to CDC Models, is on RMweb.

Well... sort of. I've done a few bits and pieces of CAD and a bit of work on the website. The best contact is Charlie Connor, the proprietor,who is @L49 on here.

On 17/06/2020 at 15:38, D9020 Nimbus said:

I take it this is the old Dapol Terrier, as reissued by Horby before their new version was developed?

Yes it is.

I haven't had a look at one of the proper models, but I tried printing the CAD myself at home and they are quite nicely detailed, with the resin providing a much nicer surface finish than some commercially-available prints. It's a one-piece print requiring only the handrails (which are added before sale so for the purchaser there is very little to do. As Nile shows the only things required are numbers and insignia).

Edited by sem34090
  • Informative/Useful 3

I have had a look on Ebay and Google to find a sales avenue to consider buying one of the J69 loco bodies, but I either end up back on here or to a Covid 19 site. Please help this old chap with the link to CDC Models, so I can progress from here.

Thank you,

Tod

Thanks for the link, most helpful, though it appears they are all sold out at present. The link to Thanet models has some really nice options that I wasn't aware of. My credit card could get a real bashing if I'm not careful!!

Thanks again

Tod

Sorry if this sounds a bit picky, but the wheelbase of the Terrier is not the same as the J69. I will quickly say that the differences are not vast, but visually a side on view, the spaces between the front axle and centre and centre to rear axle are very obvious.

J69 wheelbase is 6ft-4 inches+ 7ft-6 inches =  13ft-10 inches............25.3mm + 30mm = 55.3mm

Terrier..............is 6ft-0 inches+ 6ft-0 inches =   12ft=0 inches.............24mm + 24mm  =   48mm

The wheels are the same at 4ft diameter..........16mm

Assuming the Terriers chassis is powered by the centre axle, it would be possible to chop it about, but of course the con rods would need to be cut and shut to match. Personally, though that is possible with a lot of skill and care, my preference would be a scratch built brass chassis as the better solution.

I don't know if there are firms ( Alan Gibson, Finecast etc)  that can supply a chassis kit. Worth exploring, as that would save a lot of head scratching and effort! There are plenty of motor/gearbox options available. However with the addition of 16mm wheels, axles, brake shoes, rigging, guard irons and anything I've forgotten, the costs are rising  way above the original idea of the loco body and finding a good running second hand Terrier chassis!

Soooo, having thrown a grenade into the party, I shall run away and hide, as I can feel some responses coming my way!!!!

Oh come on, you know you want to...............

Happy modelling,

Tod

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

It's a fair observation, however I think the original intent was, as you sort of say, to have locos that look good enough but also don't cost the earth, with the added bonus of reasonably assured good running.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

South Eastern Finecast can supply a proper J69 chassis if you are that bothered by the Terrier chassis. Probably a better option than butchering a Hornby chassis.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've been looking at chassis options and SEF do the chassis, wheel pack etc. the current prices come out at £81. Gibson also do a milled chassis frame as a basis. I already have a suitable motor and Hi-Level gearbox, but that would be additional cost to those not so blessed. Its horses for courses and depends on the needs and desires of the buyer. For me it wouldn't be right to have an "incorrect" chassis, BUT I respect the concept to get a working loco at reasonable cost with minimum effort. I also appreciate that not everyone on here has the years of  prototype/modelling experience that I have. If I can share some of it, free gratis, I consider it my duty  Whether anyone pays attention to this old f..t, that's their choice. Any new build I do has a near scale as possible compensated chassis, that's my choice. I like the J69 body, ready to go and hope to get one. I'll number and letter it myself. The chassis? Well you know my thoughts on that!!!!

There I will end my contribution to this subject.....................

Happy modelling,

Tod

But this goes back to the good old days (?) of whitemetal bodies on Jinty chassis, take the Bec J17 for instance. (Only because the J17 is having a rebuild on my bench at the moment).

So the whitemetal kit was produced...with dimensions adjusted to suit the Jinty chassis.

Many years later (it must be 55 years), I decided my J17 needed a better chassis. 

So, ignoring the dimensional errors I'm putting an SEF etched chassis, with a HL gearbox, Markits wheels , under it. The SEF chassis is a modern day product to directly replace the Triang Jinty chassis. But the errors are still there (and I'm living with them, admittedly). If fits the body, perfectly.

Now, no disrepect to the makers intended, the CDC J69 has been adapted to fit the Terrier. (as was the J17/Jinty).

Having decided that that Terrier chassis is now unsuitable, you then source something else. How is that going to fit the J69?

Stewart

The dimensions should be fine, the issue is with the wheelbase. As the J69 hasn't got splashers that's not an issue to correct with a scale chassis for those who want to.

I asked Mr Connor whether he'd adjusted the dimensions - "Nope, body wise it is straight off the drawing. The wheel spacing is an issue, but the steps help disguise the issues".

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks SEM... just to add to this, the original body which I designed started with mounting to fit the Dapol/Hornby chassis, and lined up correctly for the rear drivers. Unfortunately it became pretty obvious that the wheelbase grew increasingly inaccurate towards the front end. The issue then was how to combat this without causing any distortion to the scale dimensions of the body and still fit the motor etc.

Finally the solution was to reverse the chassis, and centre the wheelbase as closely as possible to the prototype. To do this I had to move the backhead further into the cab than is prototypical, but I decided this was a worthwhile compromise.

I'll get a body on its chassis in a bit and take some clear broadsides so you can see forn yourselves. I don't know whether the SEF or Gibson chassis will fit. I imagine they would, but will require some fettling, especially to get the mounting points to li e up with those on the body.

In the meantime here are a couple of pics in the garden, one of a regular J69, and the other is the test build of the S56. Hope these help...

20200515_133032.jpg.6278fd9703e65176610d03db456b25aa.jpg

20200414_103829.jpg.c201844a7cd6a5a5d5a9b652eaba4d5a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Unfortunately there were compromises on the NLR tank, largely because the chassis it was designed to fit was H0. I had to remove 3mm overall from the full length of the loco, 1mm between smokebox and tank front, another 1mm from the tank sides, and another 1mm from the cab.

• Informative/Useful 1

How a NLR tank escaped from Devon's Road and found its way to rural Essex I know not.

I suppose with my grandfather working at Brown & Tawse and seeing odd locomotives around there in the early 1950s with numbers starting with a 5 there has always been a subconscious interest in these machines.

The body comes with all details included. Some are better, as I see it, than others. I am not going into a debate about the specification. It is what it is. if you think it will work for you then buy one. if you are a finescale pedant then you probably should avoid it. It comes ready painted, black with the details picked out. I found the finish rather glossy and a bit uneven. The cab roof probably needs some treatment with filler. The cab roof is removable so details and crew will be an easy job. The body drops onto the Electroten chassis but the rear coupling has to be removed. If you drill a hole through the cab floor and use a nut and bolt to hold the original coupling in the correct location it should make refitting a simple task. I had a Parkside mounting block to hand so I used this.

The vac pipes are nicely formed, as are the chimney and dome. I will probably replace the buffers as I have some spare Bachmann spring LMS type which look to be close enough.  

My one niggle is with the front smoke box hand rail. It is obvious why it is as it is but I think I will get round to replacing the top lamp iron and fitting two new knobs and form a longer length of wire to a better arc. For less than £45 it has to be regarded as good value for money. Photo shows it still as a WIP but should indicate the potential.

Bernard

DSC_0793.JPG.60a6d4f7babe0718c7e09794a2c8a8e5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first time posting.... 

I got the J69 through the post the other day, have to say for the price I'm very impressed. The level of detail on the model for under £50 is very good, though there were some printing anomalies, I soon sanded & used some filler on it to get it a bit smoother. I also filled some of the gaps in the cab which greatly improved it. My only real gripe is that it was difficult to thread the screws from the Terrier chassis (though that might have been more my fauly...). I do like however how it just plonks onto the chassis, no need to filing/ trimming like I've found with some OO9 stuff. 

Here's mine any way, finished as 68529. I know it's not 100% accurate but I had to work with the transfers I had, oh well. I also bodged the numberplate from some leftover stuff from an old Dapol kit, which does the job. Looks pretty decrnt for only a days worth of work! Excited to see what else comes from CDC, I'm really impressed! 

IMG_20200726_153549.jpg

IMG_20200726_153508.jpg

IMG_20200726_153440.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'd think an RTR J72 should be a better fit

J69: 6'4"+7'6"=13'10"; coupled wheels 4'0" nominal

J72: 6'8"+7'0"=13'8"; coupled wheels 4'1.25" nominal

I have no idea about availability, living as I do in Tennessee these days...

• Agree 2