CDC Models LNER J68/J69 - any experience?

nathan70000

Very tempted by this at the price but  I am not au fait with Terrier versions - not really my area. I have two quick possibilities - see if I can buy/scrounge grandson's "Stepney" which must be at least 10 years old or butcher my own R3248 KESR Sutton.

Would either of these count as old style please?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

Very tempted by this at the price but  I am not au fait with Terrier versions - not really my area. I have two quick possibilities - see if I can buy/scrounge grandson's "Stepney" which must be at least 10 years old or butcher my own R3248 KESR Sutton.

Would either of these count as old style please?

I’ve used a KESR Sutton as a doner, the best part is there is no “butchering” required. Remove the couplings and the body just drops on. Reversible if required.

Stepney fetching silly money on the bay of e.

Well J68 arrived 2 days early; looked good and a very smooth finish. One front buffer either broken or incompletely moulded, fixed that with a disc of thin black plastikard punched out with a leather punch. Windows glazed with Krystal Klear, transfers on - those numbers are a tight fit on the bunker! coat of Testor's Dullcote over them then borrowed mech from my Terrier - wouldnt move. Body underside fouled the front drivers so had to grind away some material and drop a thin brass shim washer over each bolt. Rear fixture split on screwing up.but it runs OK. Front coupling still to be sorted as does not project enough.

Over all, I'm happy with it and  impressed with 3D printing's advances.

• RMweb Premium

Am considering a J69 for a micro layout project and this seems the best option, however the 7mm shortness in wheelbase by using the Terrier chassis is a tad too jarring for me - has anyone successfully used the Bachmann J72 chassis (with it's much closer match to J69 wheelbase) under the 3D body, please? There's a fair few early Bachmann J72 on ebay for cheap.

Any tips/hints/pics to show the changes required to either chassis or body would be welcome.

TIA!

Edited by CloggyDog

15 hours ago, CloggyDog said:

Am considering a J69 for a micro layout project and this seems the best option, however the 7mm shortness in wheelbase by using the Terrier chassis is a tad too jarring for me - has anyone successfully used the Bachmann J72 chassis (with it's much closer match to J69 wheelbase) under the 3D body, please? There's a fair few early Bachmann J72 on ebay for cheap.

Any tips/hints/pics to show the changes required to either chassis or body would be welcome.

TIA!

Given that the designers would be aware of the J72 chassis, surely there must have been major reasons not to have used it, if it is a closer match to the correct wheel spacing? Maybe the motor block simply didn't work within the confines of the body shell?

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I would have thought the designers would had been there, not done that but bought a CDC Models T shirt anyway?!

HOURS OF FUN!

Well 68640 is up and running. Replaced all 4 buffer heads with turned steel ones from bits box - look a lot better. Front coupling made from a brass wire loop soldered to a spare frame spacer - bits box again. Clunky rear one left as is for the moment. As no bolts came with the chassis I tapped both sockets 8BA and used cut-down Kadee 2-56 black nylon bolts with a shim washer to stop front wheels rubbing - actually they made a not unrealistic shuff-shuff-shuff....

Looked at from 3ft the short chassis does not jar - the cab steps cover part of the gap. 

Will certainly go for a J66 if CDC do it - chassis was slightly shorter on these.

IMG_0792.JPG

• Like 3

On 15/07/2021 at 09:36, CloggyDog said:

TIA!

The old J72 chassis is the very old design and hardly worth spending any time on trying to make it fit, even if you are able to find a good one. The latest version is just too expensive to carve up. A dedicated kit chassis would be cheaper and would make a better job of it. But if you go down that road you would not be likely to use the generic one piece printed body. The original Terrier chassis is what the body has been designed to be used with and the combination works very well.  The idea behind this range is for quick and easy ways to obtain unusual motive power. In that respect they are excellent. If you find the shortcomings too much then I suggest that you do your own thing and write it up in the scratch and kit building or modifying areas.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2020 at 18:23, PaulG said:

Colchester had an allocation of J68 including 68638 in 1955, one of the passenger loco with condensing pipes which CDC produce.  

By 1955 most of the class had the condensing pipes removed, LNE standard buffers fitted and bunker plated over all of which I've changed on the model. Other than the above, the photos show the model as received.

I've obtained a J69 chassis and 15mm/10 spoke wheels from SE Finecast, excellent service with next day delivery. The chassis does need slight but very easy alterations, to fit the CDC J68 body.

The challenge is fitting a motor and tomorrow's task is to fabricate a frame to the small Mashima motor I have in stock.

A few photos of progress.

Paul

20200827_154052.jpg

20200829_140742.jpg

20200828_162223.jpg

20200826_154346.jpg

20200829_151232.jpg

It would appear PaulG has managed to fit an SE Finecast chassis 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So here is my one 609 was a long time 31A Cambridge resident. 

I’ve a SE Finecast chassis on order - just wondering what others have done witj wheels, gears and motors. It will

need to be DCC so I need to factor that in as well.

Best Wishes 

David 

E02F1242-73B5-4893-BB4A-034365183250.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, PaulG said:

I used South Eastern Finecast chassis kit and attached are my notes.

Class J68 0-6-0T 68638.pdf 825.91 kB · 10 downloads

Paul

Edit: Gear-box: Markits 4mm MM1-85382s G-Box/M-Mount Inc 38-1 1 stage gearset & bearings 2.0mm worm 8.5 & 10mm motor fixings.

1684838462_gearboxmotor.jpg.b3bb44a97365f93295bc46d74c3c280e.jpg

Thanks that is really helpful. Best Wishes David 

• 1 year later...