3 1/2 inch gauge LION

mswjr

They are on the full size loco, Square headed coach bolt's, I think these were quite common at the time as were used on wagon and coach's

( the horse type )  These are the way the wooden beam was held to the metal brackets behind it, The loco has hundreds of these square headed bolt's all over it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It has been a while, I have made quite a few components for the Locomotive, Nothing assembled yet, I have done some more to the tender most of the wooden frame work is done now, I have done the wheels and axle boxs, The wheel spoke are quite a bit oversize i may have to machine these down to look better.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 8 months later...
On 22/01/2021 at 11:44, mswjr said:

It has been a while, I have made quite a few components for the Locomotive, Nothing assembled yet, I have done some more to the tender most of the wooden frame work is done now, I have done the wheels and axle boxs, The wheel spoke are quite a bit oversize i may have to machine these down to look better.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

I'm a bit late but did you have the wheels CNC machined to profile or are they from castings? I'm getting to that stage on my 4-4-0 project.

• Like 1

Hi, I have all the wheels as cast and all finished machined, But it has come to a stop at the moment, Because the spoke thickness are well over size, Also the spoke number are wrong, As you may know the real Lion has a different number of spokes on the drivers, The tender wheels also are wrong with the spoke quantity,, These wheels do not match the build so far so i am at a sticking point, I either live with them and use them, Or i get some new ones cast.

Garry

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

hi all, i can not believe how quick time fly's, anyway i have my new wheels cast and very nice they are too. The build came to a stop as the wheels were not good enough for a scale model, i did have to wait a couple of years for them but they are worth it, I am finishing a gauge one loco at the moment , I started it whilst i was awaiting the wheels, as soon as this is finished i will get back to the LION and update further. 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

• Like 2