A micro layout probably named Nogg

Ian Holmes

Nogg. It’s there. On the maps. Just north of the old Cromford and High Peak line to Hoptonwood quarries, famed for its high quality limestone for gravestones and memorials.

Nogg. I couldn’t pass on that name.  Nogg mine was an old lead mine. There are pictures of the windswept locale on the aditnow website. 

So I decided to create a scheme for a small branch off the Hoptonwood branch (a twig if you will) to meander up to the bleak hillside where there would be a small quarry. 

My plan, based on one of my doodles. Originally was going to be in 4mm scale. Then I thought about working in 7mm, as its something I’ve always wanted to do.  In 4mm scale its about 20” square, and depicts a wagon turntable in front of a small crusher/processing building of some sort.

50016163818_4428c5198d_b.jpg

50016949727_34036210fb_b.jpg

I sketched out the plan in 4mm scale and it works, so with the appropriate enlargement it should work in 7mm. Though the exact size is unknown as yet.

50016690641_16859cfd4a_b.jpg

I also had a play with stock to see how things shaped up. The small size was one of the things that made me think about expanding up to O. I really do believe it could work.

More details to follow 

Ian

• Like 9

Very interesting idea.  I would dearly like to do a boxfile and there are two Scalescenes kits that I like.  They would, of course, be scaled up.  For now I must get my main layout running.

There are getting to be more and more 0 gaugers from this side of the water, great stuff!

John

• 7 months later...

I have been desperately searching for a locomotive project to give this layout project a kick up the proverbial. Some kind of quirky small shunter the looks odd, to grab peoples attention. 

The on this thread I found drawings of the Southern Railway DS499 shunter 

Small and most definitely quirky, I think it would be great on a small quarry line, even if that line was over 100 miles from where it really ran. All I need is something to push individual wagons around. 

I also needed a project that could use materials easily to hand here in the USA, so I don't have to spend a fortune on shipping things from then UK. Plus the postal system in America is so bad I can wait weeks and weeks for things to be delivered. 

That meant using this loco as a donor unit. The AHM Rivarossi Plymouth 4 wheel switcher.

50939497588_5b15cae43a_b.jpg

Measuring the wheelbase I found that it scaled up to about 8' 10". Which is near enough for me for what seems to be about an 8' wheelbase on the prototype. So I hacked away at the footplate to reduce it to a more manageable size to fit in with the UK loading gauge.

50940187156_731b6b175e_b.jpg

And so I ended up with this. It's now little more than a motor bogie.

50940294177_3b3e2382cd_b.jpg

It would be nice If I could hack off both those protruding lumps off the weight. But one will be hidden in the cab so that one, isn't crucial. The other has to come off. It's a long slow job to remove it.

All I need to have shipped from the UK will be buffers, couplings and axle box w-irons. Much cheaper than having a full kit sent over from the homeland.

• Like 4

Looking at your sketch, plan and layout mock up, you have reminded me of a narrow gauge diorama "The Crow's Nest Tramway" from way back in the day! I can't remember any other details other than it was in a strange scale, was by a very well known modeller*, the photos were black and white in - I think - the Railway Modeller, and it had a profound influence upon my younger self, who subsequently began planning and attempting narrow gauge models! It feels like a standard gauge reincarnation, yet is probably nothing like!

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Steve S

* Just thought - was it Roy Link?

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos only show up AFTER posting!

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looking at your sketch, plan and layout mock up, you have reminded me of a narrow gauge diorama "The Crow's Nest Tramway" from way back in the day! I can't remember any other details other than it was in a strange scale, was by a very well known modeller*, the photos were black and white in - I think - the Railway Modeller, and it had a profound influence upon my younger self, who subsequently began planning and attempting narrow gauge models! It feels like a standard gauge reincarnation, yet is probably nothing like!

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Steve S

* Just thought - was it Roy Link?

It was indeed, the late Roy C Link.

I certainly wasn’t thinking of his Crowsnest layouts when I designed this but the influences are there. 

Ian

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 05:37, Ian Holmes said:

I have been desperately searching for a locomotive project to give this layout project a kick up the proverbial. Some kind of quirky small shunter the looks odd, to grab peoples attention. 

The on this thread I found drawings of the Southern Railway DS499 shunter 

Small and most definitely quirky, I think it would be great on a small quarry line, even if that line was over 100 miles from where it really ran. All I need is something to push individual wagons around. 

I also needed a project that could use materials easily to hand here in the USA, so I don't have to spend a fortune on shipping things from then UK. Plus the postal system in America is so bad I can wait weeks and weeks for things to be delivered. 

That meant using this loco as a donor unit. The AHM Rivarossi Plymouth 4 wheel switcher.

50939497588_5b15cae43a_b.jpg

Measuring the wheelbase I found that it scaled up to about 8' 10". Which is near enough for me for what seems to be about an 8' wheelbase on the prototype. So I hacked away at the footplate to reduce it to a more manageable size to fit in with the UK loading gauge.

50940187156_731b6b175e_b.jpg

And so I ended up with this. It's now little more than a motor bogie.

50940294177_3b3e2382cd_b.jpg

It would be nice If I could hack off both those protruding lumps off the weight. But one will be hidden in the cab so that one, isn't crucial. The other has to come off. It's a long slow job to remove it.

All I need to have shipped from the UK will be buffers, couplings and axle box w-irons. Much cheaper than having a full kit sent over from the homeland.

being a little industrial loco, you could fit it with wooden dumb buffers

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on the little loco.

The styrene shell has gone together really well so far. 

51000725398_6532ddb11b_b.jpg 51000725393_1a7b7884b8_b.jpg

I think it's really beginning to look the part.

The thing I'm most proud of are the scratch built W-iron, Axlebox and leaf spring arrangement from laminations of styrene of various sorts.

51001415976_c87e194fdf_b.jpg 51001415981_f53265434f_b.jpg

I was pretty amazed at the way they turned out. 

Before I started on them, I thought that they would be way beyond my comfort zone. But after some thought and care It all went together pretty easily.

Sure, they're not perfect. But I'm only working from a conjectural drawing anyway. I'm more than happy with them and once they're on the loco and painted, I'm sure they'll look fine.

The moral of this story is you never know what you can do until you try.

There's a more detailed look at the construction on the layout blog 

https://ogaugemicrolayout.blogspot.com

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nogg now has a new locomotive and it’s a beauty! A Minerva models K class Manning Wardle. It appeared for sale through the Gauge O guild in America, and the chance of being able to get hold of something that is British outline 7mm scale in the States without paying huge amounts for shipping was too good to pass up. The size and attention to detail just amazed me. It makes O Gauge very attractive.

51134830047_6731a7cbf1_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1