LNWR18901910

Lately, I've been on a freelance streak and after watching classic episodes of Postman Pat and the original Bob the Builder series, the way those vehicles were designed interested me and I was thinking of using them on my layout that would be suited for the current rolling stock I have with me such as the Hornby Four Wheel Coaches and the 0-4-0 tender engine I have with me.

image.png.0aa7e27007b645f05aa2bbe5cc2fa595.pngimage.png.928464bd8615880bb637d6c53f69a663.pngimage.png.de5498400dc426520500614327b205a6.png

Several models of Postman Pat's van as well as two models of the Post Bus would receive a whole new leash on life even in a simplistic cartoon-like environment. It's like something drawn on paper and then translated in 3D models. Some of the Bob the Builder vehicles (Scoop, Travis, Lofty, Muck and Gripper or Grabber) would be repurposed as construction with a new coat of paint and the eyes painted over as well as a minor alteration or two in the case of Lofty. Pat's van would also be a butcher's van, a bakery van and a greengrocer's van. One post bus would remain as it is while the other would be a school bus of some sort.

I know they are kids' toys but they are rather nice and possible to adapt and convert into faceless vehicles even in a cartoony-toylike style. Just alter some details, repaint them, add some glazing in and there you go! I am aware, judging by the images, that some of these are old Take-Along models, but with the right screwdriver, they can somehow be removed. Along with some ERTL vehicles, there is a possibility to make something out of something old and discounted or something cheaply-made. Not only that, but I can make some figures from scratch between the 1:76 and 1:64 scales that fit in just fine.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 21:52, ianmacc said:

I’ve seen nice models come from unlikely places so good luck. 

Post your work when done but I have to say those scales look all over the place in the construction set! 

Yes, indeed. That's why I must choose carefully to find the closest vehicles and then alter them as standard non-anthropomorphic ones but still remaining their interesting, unique and simplistic designs.

I almost considered the Fireman Sam Jupiter fire engine as a candidate at one point. As well as Noddy's car and other diecast vehicles, getting the figures out might be another challenge.

That would have been a great lock down challenge re purposing abandoned toys from the depths of the toy box.

How will you represent the glazing on the Postman Pat vans?  I wonder if Poundland Silver wheels spray paint would be any good?

An occasional appearance of a Faller car system Postman Pats van would be a great distraction for the inevitable break downs on fine scale exhibition layouts, everyone stares incredulously at the van while you change the loco or give it a hefty prod.

The trouble is things like this inspire people and I have a Hornby Thomas the Tank body and some rust coloured paint,  I'm thinking Take off the face, model the inside of the smokebox and model Thomas as awaiting scrapping  or awaiting overhaul at a preserved railway.

On 25/06/2020 at 12:48, DavidCBroad said:

That would have been a great lock down challenge re purposing abandoned toys from the depths of the toy box.

How will you represent the glazing on the Postman Pat vans?  I wonder if Poundland Silver wheels spray paint would be any good?

An occasional appearance of a Faller car system Postman Pats van would be a great distraction for the inevitable break downs on fine scale exhibition layouts, everyone stares incredulously at the van while you change the loco or give it a hefty prod.

The trouble is things like this inspire people and I have a Hornby Thomas the Tank body and some rust coloured paint,  I'm thinking Take off the face, model the inside of the smokebox and model Thomas as awaiting scrapping  or awaiting overhaul at a preserved railway.

That Thomas the Tank Engine model project sounds like a good one! Why not swap the chimney with a more prototpical one as well as adding rivets along the smokebox, a safety valve and lamp-irons?

And anyway, I might have a look on E-Bay and see what I can find to use. I intend to use the vehicles as the same scale as the locomotive.

DSC09907.JPG.f6962dd307e39b87c00202015b2a0ba7.JPG

Note the toy-like and simplistic design which is what I am going for with road vehicles. The locomotive and tender come from Toys or Models via Shapeways. Also, I may sculpt some figures from scratch as well. What do you think?

• Like 1

QUICK UPDATE:

I bought two ERTL Postman Pat vans on E-Bay and both were in a sorry state, the paint was chipped in some parts and one had transfers so worn away whereas the other had none on. One will become a post van again and the other would be either a bakery van or a butcher's van. When they come, I will share pictures of them and you can help me decide.

Also, I was thinking of scratch-making figures to go on the layout. What do you all think?

I assume you will be making the figures slightly over scale in keeping with the toylike theme a la Thomas the tank engine? I would not like to try and scratch build 1/76 figures nor would I see the point given the breadth of products already out there!   That said it’s your layout and scratch built figures is certainly a rarity. 

On 30/06/2020 at 20:34, ianmacc said:

I assume you will be making the figures slightly over scale in keeping with the toylike theme a la Thomas the tank engine? I would not like to try and scratch build 1/76 figures nor would I see the point given the breadth of products already out there!   That said it’s your layout and scratch built figures is certainly a rarity. 

Yes, indeed. I have been meaning to try it.