CMAC Model Railways

m0rris

Hello all,

I thought it would probably be worth putting up a different topic to the my long running thread in the 3D printing section so that that thread can focus on skills and builds, so here it is the formal "introduction" after all this time to my little range. It all started off when I decided I wanted a class 380 in N gauge and then it has snowballed from there to over 20 different prototypes.

Whats in the range? Well it all started off to fill some gaps in N gauge so the range is predominantly N gauge British and Swiss 3D printed models with a few models that have made the change into other scales with various Z, TT, 00 and 0 gauge models. The biggest gaps for us modern image modellers are nearly always multiple units so I that's where the focus is but there are also busses, cars, locos and carriages. The models are predominantly available through my Shapeways shop here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cmacmodels

Here's some examples of my SBB ETR610 and RADBe 500 ICN prints that have been built in N gauge.

rmweb_photo.png.d4d41e28bc8375499b909a24b0f2b4cf.png

Following popular demand - I have been able to source a limited supply of 00 gauge bodyshells at a lower price than on shapeways. These include the Electrostars below, that will I make available for sale on ebay and elsewhere. For the eagle-eyed 00 gauge modellers who spy a N gauge model not available in 00, some will make it over in good time, others I may not be able to do in 00 but please feel free to message me with any queries. Importantly though, I will be doing limited batch release of 00 gauge models at the moment due to time constraints.

DSC_0800_(2).JPG.97a1b2e036cd0ec04aa9c7d9f7d320af.JPG

DSC_0799.JPG.cf0c4ae8069c8e76df897623f3ec88ef.JPG

Thanks

C

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

The latest 00 gauge models have arrived, after a bit of work and following popular demand, the 175, 180 and 378s have been upscaled to 00.  I have got the n gauge class 71/74s en route and hope to release them shortly, then it is time to tackle to NIR Class 3000/4000 and electrostar cars to fit the Bachmann 170 bodyshell.

Class 175 - x3 car wih underframe sides - £120

383177266_DSC_0135(2).JPG.dff28a807d4d07ef80d9a9f3d5ca74ef.JPG

Class 180 -x5 car with underframe detail - £200

1610039422_DSC_0136(2).JPG.3f04ebf6daef5fdf75fede185503b95a.JPG

Class 378 - x4 car - £120

DSC_0142.JPG.fc07eb8d914f0faa2809489b5aece1c2.JPG

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Chipping away at the rescale list has seen some more progress - at long last the C3000 has made it into 00 gauge: DSC_0910.JPG.cebbc60aadb17edf1f3c81d83a628d1c.JPG

Available directly for £130 with the underframe detailed.

The final request, by popular demend is the class 380.... Seen here in 380/1 flavour but also available in 3 car formation:

DSC_0904.JPG.cc8a887efef815a02803a74a1106812a.JPG

It works out at £120 for a 3 car and £160 for the 4 car.

Meanwhile there is an end in sight for the rescale list, with the 185, 334, 444 and 700 being the next models in line. After that I will take a little break to try and get more of the associated parts over the line such as bogies, windows and underframe detail/chassis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First impressions are excellent. A solid but not to thick construction, meaning you can work with it but it doesn’t warp. very easy to remove the couple of blemishes present. The best quality body shells to kit bash I have come across. 

Fabricating the windows is going to be the tricky bit - open to suggestions.

Please let me know when you scale up your class 334 - i’ll certainly buy one (if not two!)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback - it is much appreciated. At present the plan is to knuckle down in the next few weeks and get some laser cutting templates sorted for the Electrostar, 175, 180 and 380 models' windows (the C3000/4000s ribbon glass and the 378s numerous hopper windows makes them slightly more complicated).

Shortly I will have the 185 and 444 completed, then the 334 and 700 will be next before I pause on 00 gauge to focus on some of the supporting details such as underframe details for the electrostars and more.

In the meantime, there is now a website - https://www.cmacmodels.co.uk/ There's plenty more to be added to the page but it is a start on what I suspect will be a long road!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Ordered your class 185 3 car unit body's in N gauge Friday 23rd via shapeways they said they will arrive 6th August but today they arrived just 5 days great service they look superb plus the donor 170 unit come today aswell nearly job done now body's will be going to Adam at electraRail Graphics so he can measure them to produce me some vinyls in TPE livery.

Thanks

Steve

20210728_185456.jpg

20210728_185641.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi @m0rris, I have a couple of your shell sets in OO and just wanted wondered when you might have the all important  ‘ancillary’ bits and bobs available such as bogie frames, under frame detail or windows? Cheers 

12 hours ago, spenc said:

Hi 

Ordered your class 185 3 car unit body's in N gauge Friday 23rd via shapeways they said they will arrive 6th August but today they arrived just 5 days great service they look superb plus the donor 170 unit come today aswell nearly job done now body's will be going to Adam at electraRail Graphics so he can measure them to produce me some vinyls in TPE livery.

Thanks

Steve

20210728_185456.jpg

20210728_185641.jpg

Hi, 

I am looking forward to seeing the progress of this, I am sure it shall look good and a nice easy fix with the 170, I did the same with the 175 and it was a nice easy swap. 

Benjamin 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Hi, 

I am looking forward to seeing the progress of this, I am sure it shall look good and a nice easy fix with the 170, I did the same with the 175 and it was a nice easy swap. 

Benjamin 

Hi Benjamin

Yes it looks a easy swap I have just tried one of the body's on can I ask what did you use for the glazing and how did you fix the body's to the chassis.

Steve

Hi, 

I have just used clear plastic behind and painted the recces black. It does the job I find, not ideal. Someone down the club does laser cutting and I was thinking about asking if he could laser cut the glazing for me. 

As for attaching the chassis I have just placed the bodies on and it was a nice snug fit. I could be temped with a 185 after seeing the prints you have there. 

Benjamin  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Brady said:

Hi, 

I have just used clear plastic behind and painted the recces black. It does the job I find, not ideal. Someone down the club does laser cutting and I was thinking about asking if he could laser cut the glazing for me. 

As for attaching the chassis I have just placed the bodies on and it was a nice snug fit. I could be temped with a 185 after seeing the prints you have there. 

Benjamin  

Yes the body does fit tightly the side windows I might be able to just get away with using the vinyls because they have the glazing already there and the windows are small I will see when Adam has produced them.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Most of my vinyls are now printed on white vinyl with the windows cut out, which gives much better livery definition, as they are now 100% opaque.

More than happy to do the 185 set on clear vinyl if you wish. You get the flush glazing but would need to make sure the bodies are sprayed white first to get the colours right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amwells said:

Hi @m0rris, I have a couple of your shell sets in OO and just wanted wondered when you might have the all important  ‘ancillary’ bits and bobs available such as bogie frames, under frame detail or windows? Cheers 

I was hoping to have them by now but I have been struggling with some supplier issues in the past 3 months or so that have pushed a large number of projects back. The current plan/status is as follows:

208397508_4108987359182347_5970282415644406566_n.jpg

Electrostars - chassis/bogies to be completed within the next month, test prints to follow soon after, glazing to get underway at the same time with trial cuts by September hopefully. This has been held up at the final hurdle by the aforementioned supplier issues and I have had to swap suppliers very late on, but as part of the swap I will be doing the earlier 375/377 versions (dual voltage only though).

175 and 180 - chassis bogies to be completed in the next 2-3 weeks, test prints to follow and glazing in hopefully the same timeframe.

185 - chassis/bogies within the next month, glazing probably about 2 months away

444 - chassis pending some details from an informed customer who will be supplying me with better reference material to get it spot on.

380 - further reference material gathered - chassis/bogies in approx 2 months, glazing to be reviewed at that stage

378 - chassis/bogies (effectively modifications of the Electrostar kit) will hopefully be completed within the next 2 months, windows at the same time.

333 - chassis/bogies to be completed with 2 months

C3000/4000 - chassis and bogies are probably 3 months out being realistic with them.

334 - rescaled kit, complete with chassis/bogies - target released date of September.

I am trying to move towards a "steady state" where I have the above models upgraded plus the following completed:

195/196/197 - kits in 00 and N.

700/707/717 - kits in 00 and N.

325 - kits in 00 and N

Mk3 EMUs (317/318/455) - kits in N

NIR 80 and 450 - kits in 00

I am also weighing up my options for the following but no guarantees yet:

Aventras - 345/701/710/720/730

Flirts - 731/745/755

If I do do these I will have to change the way the range is stocked and ordered as it'll be very cumbersome to stock multiples of each model!

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello!

I was just wondering how your projects are getting along? After my build of your excellent class 380 i found myself acquiring parts for your forthcoming class 334, any update you have on the 334 would be appreciated!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Apologies all - I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread but it appears not!

@John M Upton - I dont have them to hand but I can sort these out relatively easily, my models are still needing the full build treatment as I keep on distracting myself shortly after doing the trial fit and primer stage with the latest project!

@bensanchez43310 - I have the latest version on order and I hope to have this built in quick order (although please note my habit as described above!). Trial prints were offered up to the Farish 350 power unit and that seemed to be a good fit, I just need to work out how to integrate the second bogie/contacts into the model.

@ellss - 334 has done a bit of a one step forwards, two steps back. I did manage to update the original model to 00 but I wasn't entirely happy with some elements of it, so i have taken some additional time topull together even more prototype information on these to make the best model. Having completed this stage, I am looking to get a new model sorted from scratch in the next couple of months...

...Which leads on to another point; I started this range way back in 2015 and much of what I had produced initially was pioneering stuff as it brought models out that hadn't a hope of appearing any other way. As is so often the case with early runners, time marches on and many of my earlier models have stood still whilst newer, more detailed and more accurate models have been released with a growing gulf in quality of designs. As a consequence of this, I have started a large scale cull of many of the models in my shapeways range, this will remove a lot of popular models but is a neccessary step for now and many will be back. The first to go have been my electrostars - but the replacements should hopefully exceed expectations.

So where next for the range? Well, there's a 334 to get over the line (again), I'd like to have another look at the 444 too. Then there's a few treats that are unannounced and slowly slinking their way into the main range, from Mk3 EMUs to Desiro City variants. And not forgetting sorting out those missing chassis for the older designs, a process that seems to be more laborious than making completely new trains, I hope that my next printers order will have a the electrostar chassis' sorted for the original models and then I will keep pushing from there to complete the 378, 185, 444 etc. In the mean time, here's some cruel photos of my latest 325 and Electrostar models.

DSC_1191.JPG

DSC_1188.JPG

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

Another couple of projects have got to the point where the prints can be shown to the world. This time,it is the 456 and 334 models...

There's a few more as yet unreleased Mk3 EMUs to come and I am hoping to get the chance to fill in the rest of the "Juniper" range as well. The most obvious ones to do next would be the 458s but I have always had a soft spot the wild 460s as well. Before we get to that point though, there's another round of test prints and chassis trial prints for older models and more.

DSC_1205.JPG

DSC_1189.JPG

444.png

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 10

• 5 months later...