LNER V2 4mm 3D Printed Body - Now in production

MikeTrice

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 26power said:

With regard to brittleness, I wonder if you saw the comments from Arun Sharma on the WW thread on Monday at 16.59 (last post on page 1877)?  (Wish I could link it or quote it here, but not sure how!)  They suggest that it would be better to use a 3D print as a master for a polyester resin casting as it would overcome the brittleness issue.  It would also, presumably, reduce your time and effort input for producing individual 3D prints that I think you mentioned earlier in this thread.  Perhaps there is some loss of detail or other disadvantage?vestigations!

I know not a lot about the mystical world of 3D printing, and little more about resin casting :unknw_mini:

However, I do know that resin casting may/will open up a range of other issues, such as mould life, castability (e.g. can the item be released from the mould without damage to item or mould), shrinkage(?), risk of bubbles etc etc.  It also sounds a much more involved and labour intensive process for which Mike may not be happy to take on.  I consider that we're really lucky that Mike is offering these to us - many thanks Mike :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Another test proving shot. Even at this stage it needs a couple more tweaks but I will wait until I have assembled the Comet chassis.

IMG_3008.JPG.82a2e5187006f0609c1186b77e19ad55.JPG

An observation for you. The rear footplate bracket does not continue up to the chassis on the print due to the additional width of cutout required for the motor. In spite of this I think it is worth including as is.

IMG_3011.JPG.edb135902b402b9ad56caf58a4acf79f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Regarding resin casting vs 3d printing.

How many does Mike hope/wish to sell?

My first 3D printed body kit (of a small narrow gauge bagnall 7 years ago) was originally intended to be masters for resin casting.

However when I got the first test print I showed it to a very experienced resin caster (hoping for some advice) and his advice was that it wasnt an easy combination of shapes to cast, and certainly not something he would've attempted in his first few years of casting.

As shapeways would print it for £40, and the primary motivation for producing the model was that I wanted one I decided against trying to cast it. This also had the benefit that I didnt have to go online and see pictures of 'my' models assembled with the chimney wonky, the boiler sloping or the smokebox out of square.

• Like 2

Current Bachmann V2 chassis.

Body fits inside body with a lug at the front and two tiny screws through the rear of the Cartazzi Truck into two round pegs on the bottom of the body (they are very fragile I have just had to glue both back onto my V2 body. ) The Bachmann A2 uses the same rear fixing method.

Mike

If you need anything else , let me know.

fullsizeoutput_3271.jpeg.5b2f05d2830eb0ddcf10aae21bc189d3.jpegfullsizeoutput_3272.jpeg.5c40756ecda623b9d5b41726cdc8ad7a.jpegfullsizeoutput_3273.jpeg.458af99eb2d39158d8eedba5ab6d8627.jpegfullsizeoutput_326c.jpeg.7e6363093c4be2cf3c24bace21a8eacb.jpegfullsizeoutput_326f.jpeg.5859627eeefee5023e1181a4a03fdc47.jpegfullsizeoutput_3270.jpeg.cb382a0e9cd69f0439a224ccb7edbd1a.jpegfullsizeoutput_326d.jpeg.7de7d0a24fc474b128dfadc7b9c6ea36.jpeg

Edited by micklner

Lwt us know which points you want measuremenst taken please. There are large areas of casting  behind the rear drivers which support the Truck slide. I dont think they are on the split chassis ? I would think they will clash with the rear footplate support.

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

Does this help?

87725543_fullsizeoutput_326d.jpeg.7de7d0a24fc474b128dfadc7b9c6ea36-Measure.jpeg.9243461a6cc614719106f092a2b9da1d.jpeg

A=  26mm downward curve 28mm at base level with truck slot.

B=  16.5mm

C=  13mm

D=  36mm

E=  36 mm approx a very shallow curve in this area , hard to where tell where curve ends and straight section starts.

F=  15mm approx as above comment

E&F combined = 51mm

G=  16mm Hole     3mm wide x 4mm long towards motor

Angled shape to the casting at the left start point for D  is 20mm wide

• Like 1

I can't help wondering from looking at the photos on Wright Writes if the cut-out in your V2 body is sufficient for OO width frames but not for EM of P4 width frames?  Assuming Comet frames set the appropriate distance apart for the wider gauges, is it be possible for you to modify the body to suit the wider gauges?

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/06/2020 at 08:28, MikeTrice said:

No problem.

Good morning Mike,

I would like to order a second body please, this time the Comet version, for an existing chassis. I hope that will be OK with you.

On 30/06/2020 at 10:48, Stanley Melrose said:

I can't help wondering from looking at the photos on Wright Writes if the cut-out in your V2 body is sufficient for OO width frames but not for EM of P4 width frames?  Assuming Comet frames set the appropriate distance apart for the wider gauges, is it be possible for you to modify the body to suit the wider gauges?

Bump!

Sorry, I missed this. It would probably be possible but I would have to give it some thought and only after I have finished printing the OO versions.

If I did a P4 version assuming the same one could be used for EM, how many people would be interested?

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 1

P4 should be doable. The rear body almost fits as is, being wider to accommodate the Bachmann motor, but would need a little opening up at the front. The front body really needs widening. Both could be done by filing the current OO version of the body and narrowing the Comet chassis at the front to fit inside the frame extensions or arrange your own mountings.

As stated previously I would not want to attempt to alter the current 3D model until the OO versions are finished. My brain could not cope with juggling all the variations.