More model ideas

Common, they cannot announce everything at once!  Firstly, too many models at once dilutes sales and secondly, better to have a pleasent surprise coming at a regular pace for us to digest and appreciate than two dozen programs annonced in one go - which we cannot easily dijest - then nothing for years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I think the main hole in the market is multiple units.

Electrostar as previously mentioned I would expect to sell well given how ubiquitous it seems to be in the south. But not for me as I am interested in the north!

What about Civitys? Already doing the mk5s I would expect Accurascale have contacts/relationship with CAF

I'd be keen on a 195, 331 or even a 397 at a push. I aren't sure what commonality there is between the variations, doing one could lead to another etc?

Possible commonalities from very quick observations:

195 and 331 shells other than pantograph on one car?

195, 196, 197, 331 all on same bogies? Maybe even 397?

196 and 197 shells?

195, 196, 197 chassis/underbody?

397 probably unique other than bogies maybe?

I'd also expect either the Aventras or FLIRTs to sell well if they were made too?

Wagon wise I would really like to see some of the GBRF Greenbrier Tanoos Biomass wagons

Close up of one of the newly introduced Nacco GBRf biomass wagons fleet number 83 70 0689 015-1, seen passing Palmersville foot crossing on a loaded Tyne Dock to Lynemouth PS service with 66702 Blue Lightning at the helm 12.05.18

• Like 2

I'm not all that interested in units but I agree with the chap above something like the Electrostar would be a good earner what with all the liveries they carry.

Might I suggest on the wagon front the EWS FCA twins or FAA flats. Coal container FPA, Railtrack JNA or how about the ex TML JNA/PXA bogie box's?

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Class 47 and not worry who else is trying to do it

I don't think that's how business works if I am honest.

The difficulty is, 47 is currently being tooled by somebody else. Ignoring that fact would be stupid in my opinion.

The class 40 is already tooled in an OK/quite good manner by Bachmann. The challenge a new model would face is a) how much manoeuvring space Bachmann would have price wise? If they have already paid for their tooling they potentially could drop the price and make the alternative a hard sell, b) how many people want 40s when they have been available in semi decent form for years?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I don't think that's how business works if I am honest.

Umm Hornby did that to Cavalex so what's the issue?

Also weren't there numerous of other cases of manufacturers duplicating models such as some steam loco's & the Class 71 comes to mind.

Edited by classy52

6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Umm Hornby did that to Cavalex so what's the issue?

Hornby probably didn't do that. I would expect plenty of consideration was given to the decision. In my opinion it wouldn't be just "go and do it and don't worry about anybody else" which is what you are implying. The decisions when spending tens of thousands on tooling are almost certainly don't done with no regard for what others are up to.

Edited by TomScrut

8 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Also weren't there numerous of other cases of manufacturers duplicating models such as some steam loco's & the Class 71 comes to mind.

And I am sure proper market research would have been done every time if there wasn't any unforeseen coincidences of competition doing the same as you behind closed doors.

My point is not that stuff can't overlap, it's that I really doubt manufacturers sign off massively expensive tooling with no regard for if it is going to sell or not, either from a competition or market perspective.

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Ok so I need to be careful with what I say here as I know some are touchy about incorrect theories being stated as facts, especially as far as this topic is concerned.

Hornby probably didn't do that. I would expect plenty of consideration was given to the decision. It wasn't just "go and do it and don't worry about anybody else" which is what you are implying. The decisions when spending tens of thousands on tooling are almost certainly don't done with no regard for what others are up to.

Yeah apparently it was 4 years in the making then Bam! once Cavalex got to their stage of getting it produced.

Anyway I'm not here to debate the merits but there have been a few duplication's and manufacturers stealing someone else's thunder but I would like to see AS do the Class 47 considering its importance within the British Railway scene spanning 60 years and I have no confidence in the other one getting it right and that's just my personal opinion which is based on the evidence presented to date in their own thread by those in the know.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yeah apparently it was 4 years in the making then Bam! once Cavalex got to their stage of getting it produced.

That's not the point though is it?

You're suggesting somebody spends a lot of money without giving it consideration. I don't think that is how any business that lasts works and you disagreed with me on that. And in the case of the 91 the fact it may have been sped up by the competition, or as some reckon done specifically to stamp on them would mean actually the competition was accounted for rather than it done with no regard for them.

It's worth noting that AS have specifically targeted 37s that are not covered by somebody else's tooling, the 55 which is against a single ageing alternative, and the 92 which is only against the Hornby RR one. Those don't sound like they have been pulled out of a tombola machine with no regard for what other people have available or what the market wants.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, classy52 said:

Maybe something unusual such as a future Class 69 but with it being limited to 16 loco's with GBRf only this could be a bit too niche but an interesting prospect...perhaps a partnership with Rails?

There you have the whole other can of worms - if you're tooling up for a Class 69, you might as well tool up the 56 at the same time and many of the detail differences of the 69 are currently unknown.  Would another 56 be a good thing?

The closest thing to a no-brainer for AS which semi-duplicates an existing hifi model would have to be a 73/9.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, frobisher said:

There you have the whole other can of worms - if you're tooling up for a Class 69, you might as well tool up the 56 at the same time and many of the detail differences of the 69 are currently unknown.  Would another 56 be a good thing?

The closest thing to a no-brainer for AS which semi-duplicates an existing hifi model would have to be a 73/9.

A Class 73/9 would be a great choice and seen in large parts of the UK but the small number could put the brakes on unless they push the boat out and do the full range of Class 73’s.  The same would apply to the Class 56’s and 69’s.

• RMweb Gold

Modern model of 04 (Drewery) with all the variations including tram locos - W&U must be quite popular by now.....

Sound and stay alive (in such a short wb loco)would work well....

Chris

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

A Class 73/9 would be a great choice and seen in large parts of the UK but the small number could put the brakes on unless they push the boat out and do the full range of Class 73’s.

The limit on the market would probably be the same as that for the MK5 sleepers, just saying... ;)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frobisher said:

The limit on the market would probably be the same as that for the MK5 sleepers, just saying... ;)

Arguably greater given the two minions are 73/9s AFAIK. yellow stuff seems to be about equivalent to printing money!

52 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Arguably greater given the two minions are 73/9s AFAIK. yellow stuff seems to be about equivalent to printing money!

The other type of 73/9 I believe, but no reason not to model those at the same time along with the various GBRF variants :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richscylla said:

I would love to see someone (and why not Accurascale) do some of the IHA steel wagons. A lovely little wagon that has a long life, still in use today and isn't available RTR. 

What he said^^^^^^.

• Agree 1

Although I am not one for wishlist threads, I am curious if we will see anything more from Accurascale in O gauge? I presume that we haven't seen any new O gauge since the HUO that it wasn't commercially a success or at least not a big enough success to continue to expand the range. I have a Heljan O gauge 37 on order but it is far from perfect and it feels there is an opportunity for an original 37/0 in O gauge, especially with the CAD work etc already done for the 00 model for example?