More model ideas

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I aren't sure of the differences so it may not work but it could well do. I aren't sure the differences are fully known yet are they?

I'm not sure anyone outside of the team working on the locos knows what they’ll look like in the end either. I’ve not seen any drawings or mock ups published or shared as far as I can remember.

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

AFAIK there are subtle external differences due to modernization so the body shape will be the same and based on Wikipedia entry below most of the bolt-on's will largely be the same as well with differences in certain areas.

This isn’t quite the case. From photos from EMD Longport on the WNXX forum (subscription forum so not shareable) there are new vertical WIPAC light clusters (akin to some OTP) where the original markers/reds were. The roof between the cabs looks completely different with a few class 59/66 style angled profiles and (I think) similar silencer arrangement to the sheds due to be fitted. And AFAIK there is also at least one more grille on the body side.

So in short quite a lot of difference. I think the cabs and underframe bits are the largest original parts being retained. It may take a lot of tooling to produce both but manufacturers have produced two similar (but different) models in the past which share some components, so may still be viable.

The big questions are; will they be reliable (think class 73/9 saga), where will they be used, and what liveries will they carry? If a manufacturer knew those answers in advance it may sway their decision to produce one - or not.

Jack.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

I'm not sure anyone outside of the team working on the locos knows what they’ll look like in the end either. I’ve not seen any drawings or mock ups published or shared as far as I can remember.

There was a pic of one what looks to be mid conversion in Rail a couple of weeks ago. Having revisited it it looks like quite a lot different. I won't be posting a pic on here as I'd expect it would be in violation of copyright. Not sure how photos of photos work in this respect?!

17 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

This isn’t quite the case. From photos from EMD Longport on the WNXX forum (subscription forum so not shareable) there are new vertical WIPAC light clusters (akin to some OTP) where the original markers/reds were. The roof between the cabs looks completely different with a few class 59/66 style angled profiles and (I think) similar silencer arrangement to the sheds due to be fitted. And AFAIK there is also at least one more grille on the body side.

So in short quite a lot of difference. I think the cabs and underframe bits are the largest original parts being retained. It may take a lot of tooling to produce both but manufacturers have produced two similar (but different) models in the past which share some components, so may still be viable.

The big questions are; will they be reliable (think class 73/9 saga), where will they be used, and what liveries will they carry? If a manufacturer knew those answers in advance it may sway their decision to produce one - or not.

Jack.

Fair enough, I can only go by the information that is currently accessible within the free public forums but you have expanded via WNXX with more detail of the differences which is helpful and interesting and being an AS wish-list thread was just throwing it out there as a possible.

Must say can't wait to see the finished GBRf Class 69 and like you have pointed out whether it's going to be reliable or not?...hopefully it will be a success and other operators take it up.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2020 at 09:09, James Makin said:

I voted for it as part of the recent Accurascale wishlist, but the Arbel WIA 5-car articulated car carrier would be superb to see in 4mm scale!

Search Waterside Wagons on facebook.......

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

How about the Freightliner mwa box wagons 

Whilst they'd need painting, they maybe wouldn't take much making assuming you could source parts.

Wouldn't a Dapol IOA with Bachmann HHA bogies be about right?

Not saying it would remove the need for a RTR one more just thinking out loud. The body looks near identical to an IOA and the bogies were salvaged from HHAs AFAIK.

On 28/07/2020 at 11:46, Davidjsmith said:

I would rather have a cartic four set !Guess it depends on the era you are modelling!Would love to see the brick liner wagons done too.

Not my era but I totally get the cartics.  There was a kit yonks ago. 

Weren't the Fletliner wagons standard FFA and FGA with containers for the bricks ? If so you need someone to 3D print the brick containers.  

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Weren't the Fletliner wagons standard FFA and FGA with containers for the bricks ? If so you need someone to 3D print the brick containers

Any one offering if this is true?Could someone please confirm?

17 hours ago, Covkid said:

Weren't the Fletliner wagons standard FFA and FGA with containers for the bricks ? If so you need someone to 3D print the brick containers.  

16 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

Any one offering if this is true?Could someone please confirm?

Done some googling and this document has some info

http://publictransportexperience.blogspot.com/2015/07/Hornby-trix-triang-and-bricks.html

including some piccies.  I didn't realise some of the brick containers had lids but am sure they are FFA and FGA - twistloks on the solebars. 

fletlinertrain.jpgfletliner.jpg

I would love to see the original JGA wagons built for Hall Aggregates (later RMC) as produced by Standard Wagon.

Started off on the Southern Region in 1984 working sea-dredged aggregates on the Newhaven to Tolworth/Crawley circuit. Later transferred to the pool working from Peak Forest to many Northern/Midland destinations and latterly also ended up working from the Mendips to London.

A long lasting design (30+ years) and widespread usage. Quite good looking wagons too; if you like that sort of thing !!

Useful info here....

https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_013.php

Edited by wirey33
Additional Info

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to revive this thread but I was having a long chat with a friend yesterday and the topic of what loco Accurascale possibly could do next.  Went through all the obvious and not so obvious mainline ones and I suggested the Class 08/09/10.  Just like the Class 37's, long lived, numerous differences and combinations which Accurascale could just run and run with; also any BR layout from the mid 50's onwards could justify having one or more.

I know that both the recent Bachmann and Hornby models are good but from what I've heard, both have issues, therefore if Accurascale were looking for next model suggestions, I'd firmly plant my flag in the Class 08 corner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Sorry to revive this thread but I was having a long chat with a friend yesterday and the topic of what loco Accurascale possibly could do next.  Went through all the obvious and not so obvious mainline ones and I suggested the Class 08/09/10.  Just like the Class 37's, long lived, numerous differences and combinations which Accurascale could just run and run with; also any BR layout from the mid 50's onwards could justify having one or more.

I know that both the recent Bachmann and Hornby models are good but from what I've heard, both have issues, therefore if Accurascale were looking for next model suggestions, I'd firmly plant my flag in the Class 08 corner.

Other than a shortage of releases/liveries, I don't think there is much wrong with the Hornby offering at all other than lighting. Certainly not enough to make me ditch the ones I have and have fitted with lights / sound.

Roy

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I'd firmly plant my flag in the Class 08 corner.

Sounds like the waste of a good flag there.  The Hornby model is  very nice, and even the older Bachmann model is pretty pretty good and still holds its own.  No point in a third in my opinion, not when there are popular mainline locos that would benefit from a retool, thinking 40 or 50 here,   and ac electrics that have never been produced, 81,82,83 and 84.

And (says this through gritted teeth) a shed load of steam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

electrics that have never been produced, 81,82,83 and 84.

And 88! They get about so cover quite a few regions and wouldn't look silly on a non electrified layout.

58 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Sounds like the waste of a good flag there.  The Hornby model is  very nice, and even the older Bachmann model is pretty pretty good and still holds its own.

Yeah and I also think realistically the reasons why there aren't tonnes of liveries released year on year for the 08s is that they probably don't sell that well vs mainline locos.

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

And what else does a layout with a class 37 and a selection of coal wagons need when it arrives at the sidings - a shunter to shunt it.

So an 08 would be nice

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Sorry to revive this thread but I was having a long chat with a friend yesterday and the topic of what loco Accurascale possibly could do next.  Went through all the obvious and not so obvious mainline ones and I suggested the Class 08/09/10. 

What did your friend suggest? 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

And what else does a layout with a class 37 and a selection of coal wagons need when it arrives at the sidings - a shunter to shunt it.

So an 08 would be nice

An 08 is a sacred obligation once a company has entered the mainstream, as Accurascale have with the 37.  Also a Jinty, Mk 1 coaches and sixteen tonners.  We can expect those as given.

My vote would be for something a bit more light-hearted - a giraffe car, say, or paint a Manor red and call it Lord Lucan.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3