More model ideas

• RMweb Gold

Missing class 69.

Hornby have done Railroad 43

Then theres the other class 43.. but Hornby owns that in Railroad and Mainrange.

if you were to compile 25kv EMUs... it would be quite a short list.. not much longer for 3rd rail or DMU.. that to me is where the gap is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I think you should add class 18 and 93 to that list given they are being built and Revolution are doing the 93.

I’ve only put on the list loco’s that are physically present, that’s why I didn’t add the Class 93, even though I’m aware of it.  I’m unaware of the Class 18.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Theres also a load of diesel shunters and various prototypes that didnt get class numbers, eg fell, 10800, lms twins, dhp1, lion, etc etc

True but I did say that I was listing loco's that have been given a TOPS code.  It would have been a nightmare to list them all as well as steam, so I think listing them all, the will to live would have expired hours ago :banghead:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Dare I mention it but has anyone done a decent 66 

hattons 66 wobble gate 

Going further OT than the above global wishlist:

Barring the wobble and other QC issues - which are all very fixable for those that need it - the Hattons 66 is actually very good value.

And even better at the discount prices offered.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

I’d love to see you guys dip a toe into permanent way equipment. Sadly Hattons halted progress on their crane, despite there seemingly being plenty of interest in it, and disappointment at it being frozen.

Such models fit well into small formations, making them appealing to folk with large, and smaller layouts alike I would think.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree with 43179. The Class 442 was, IMHO, the best looking EMU ever produced in the UK with some very subtle shapes and a number of liveries. An ideal subject for the team and it would allow a lot of us who have aspirations to develop a 3rd rail layout covering more modern times. They were also the most comfortable units to travel in, far better than the Mark 1 before them and the Class 444 we have now. It would also provide Accurascale the opportunity to develop a definitive Mark 3. Please just do it!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have often thought a 319 would be a good model, they have been about in a few regions and the 769s could potentially be done too which will cover a load of other areas not done by the 319.

Very true, although there is the danger of Bachmann enlarging their N gauge one, but this is probably unlikely. 

30 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Very true, although there is the danger of Bachmann enlarging their N gauge one, but this is probably unlikely. 

Upsizing N gauge is probably a waste of time unless OO was thought about when doing the N. The other thing would be when?

Even if they did do it, I think there would be easier targets for Bachmann such as the Turbostars or Voyagers that they already have semi decent tooling for.

6 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

I totally agree with 43179. The Class 442 was, IMHO, the best looking EMU ever produced in the UK with some very subtle shapes and a number of liveries. An ideal subject for the team and it would allow a lot of us who have aspirations to develop a 3rd rail layout covering more modern times. They were also the most comfortable units to travel in, far better than the Mark 1 before them and the Class 444 we have now. It would also provide Accurascale the opportunity to develop a definitive Mark 3.

A definitive Mk3 / HST is in a way a strange missing piece - the HST (and the loco hauled Mk3 coaches) served a very large part of the UK and so the market should be more than able to support 2 competing models yet it hasn't (yet* happened).  It almost is like the Manor, where the demand is there but everyone seems hesitant to do it because they are afraid they won't be the only ones...

* - yes, Oxford started - but despite promises it wasn't a definitive model and it is now essentially abandoned anyway thanks to the Hornby connection.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Upsizing N gauge is probably a waste of time unless OO was thought about when doing the N. The other thing would be when?

Even if they did do it, I think there would be easier targets for Bachmann such as the Turbostars or Voyagers that they already have semi decent tooling for.

Existing tooling doesn't really make the job easier for a newly tooled model though.  I'd suspect though that any research done for the 319 would easily rescale though.  If Accurascale wanted to go for the MK3 units, the 319 is the one you hold in reserve just in case Bachmann don't tackle it, but there's a shed load of commonality amongst the pre-cursors (455, 317 and 318) and they might know some people who could help out with a 320 or 321 in any case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

A definitive Mk3 / HST is in a way a strange missing piece - the HST (and the loco hauled Mk3 coaches) served a very large part of the UK and so the market should be more than able to support 2 competing models yet it hasn't (yet* happened).  It almost is like the Manor, where the demand is there but everyone seems hesitant to do it because they are afraid they won't be the only ones...

I'd be wary because all the signs are there for a revamp of the range after the groundwork was done for the short formation vehicles... 

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

* - yes, Oxford started - but despite promises it wasn't a definitive model and it is now essentially abandoned anyway thanks to the Hornby connection.

With the loco hauled stock, they've covered a lot of them (with the most obvious error of the godawful profile of the underframe...) and they're left with the ones that don't share the same ends I think (the 3b's and the Sleepers).  I'd say the "Hornby connection" is probably what is keeping them well away from the HST vehicles now (not necessarily before hand).

If Accurscale were to go for the HST MK3's, they'd really have to go the whole hog and make the PC's as well.  That's a lot of tooling, but it might pay dividends.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Existing tooling doesn't really make the job easier for a newly tooled model though.

That's not what I meant. Tooling of course doesn't work for different scales. The CAD work will be helpful assuming it was gone about in the right manner to begin with, i.e. scanning and/or modelling the prototype and then working out what details can be kept. Therefore the geometrical target is there in the CAD to work to any scale. If they start modelling it with only N in mind then they'll not necessarily be able to do a good OO model from it. Whilst it's not as straightforward as scaling (whether from full size to model or within model scales), as the model needs engineering, a basic analogy could be taking a photo, scaling it down, and then when you want a bigger copy do you scale up the smaller one or start with the original? The latter is the obvious choice.

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

A definitive Mk3 / HST is in a way a strange missing piece - the HST (and the loco hauled Mk3 coaches) served a very large part of the UK and so the market should be more than able to support 2 competing models yet it hasn't (yet* happened).

I agree, but the problem is the moment anybody announces such a model the red team will almost certainly spring into action, which is always going to give any new model a hard time however they go about countering it.

It's one of the issues with the market is how OK/good enough gets away with it because of the size of the market/name of the companies with the OK/good enough tooling.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I agree, but the problem is the moment anybody announces such a model the red team will almost certainly spring into action, which is always going to give any new model a hard time however they go about countering it.

Which is why you wait as long as you can before announcing, thus reducing the time for the red team to react.

39 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's one of the issues with the market is how OK/good enough gets away with it because of the size of the market/name of the companies with the OK/good enough tooling.

Certainly an issue, but the point with the HST/Mk3 is the market should be big enough for 2 competing models given how common the HST was for so many decades.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Which is why you wait as long as you can before announcing, thus reducing the time for the red team to react.

Maybe so but other than Bachmann that doesn't seem to be the way the players play. I presume the reason for this is months of hype and build up in presales and interest steps (CAD, samples, painted samples) etc. allow the model to hit the ground running when it arrives, which ultimately helps the cash flow of the sellers.

39 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Certainly an issue, but the point with the HST/Mk3 is the market should be big enough for 2 competing models given how common the HST was for so many decades.

Yes, I don't disagree there and IIRC I made a similar point elsewhere on here a while ago. If any passenger train could get away with 2 (3 inc. Railroad) versions it would be the HST IMO.

Especially if done with some of the liveries that seem sought after now.

Great Western early liveries

EMT

IC Swallow is in demand too IIRC (only 1 unbuffered current spec release I think?)

A fully tooled detailed NMT would be amazing although probably cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

I think the HST (PCs & Mk3s) are a no brainer to consider doing. Such an iconic and now popular train and with so many liveries and variations since 1976. The commercial prospects are almost endless. If the Deltic/Class 92/Class 37 hopefully become the gold standard of 00 loco models and fingers crossed its looking that way, AS won't probably care what the competition is out there. The Hornby models are decent but AS can do it better!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RozM said:

AS won't probably care what the competition is out there.

I think the difficulty lies in how it is handled. If Hornby came out with a £50-100 reduction in price on the current power car sets and £5-10 per coach then it might be difficult to justify the price difference to customers.

That's assuming the price reduction is possible. From what I have seen on here when asked about prices when they have a monopoly they seem to say they can't do anything yet if a competitor brings something out money can fall off. "They" are manufacturers in general, not just Hornby.

• Like 1