More model ideas

I have this little gem. It’s old. Noisy by modern standards but not as bad as you might think with a little careful lubrication. Likewise not quite as smooth as a modern loco but, again with careful lubrication, not bad. The arrangement of the wheels on stub axles is known not to be durable but my locos aren’t worked hard. I suppose it might be possible to convert it to DCC and install sound but I don’t intend to try.

1397663601_7802BradleyManor.jpg.6a0ae2caab15ebd4ea1cbbbc8c9cd64c.jpg

Not long ago, I would probably have acquired an Accurascale and a Dapol Manor because I’m always curious to see how two manufacturers approach the same subject. Now, however, things are different. The market is flooded with expensive models and my budget doesn’t permit me to get everything I want. I am no longer able to say with certainty that I shall buy something. When the new Manors appear, something else might take priority.

Now, supposing something appears which hasn’t appeared RTR before. Oh, let’s say a K4. Cute, all named, variety of liveries including LNER green. That would shoot to the top of my list. Less likely to appear would be Gresley’s H2 & H3 (LNER K1 & K2). Likewise, they would shoot to the top.

My main point is that something which hasn’t appeared before is a better bet than something which has. However, why a K1 and K2? I model historically – I like to trace the development of ideas through models. The K1 and K2 appeared near the start of the development of the modern mixed traffic locomotive and led on to the K3s and V2s (Bachmann) and the Thompson A2s and the Peppercorn K1s (Hornby) and the Peppercorn A2s (Bachmann).  Not enough justification? Well, how about this. There is a lot of pre-grouping stuff floating around – quite sensibly there is a tendency to concentrate on specific companies. Perhaps it’s the turn of the Great Northern. We have a Stirling single and an Atlantic. An O2 in Great Northern guise is on the horizon. Dare I mention the J52? Hornby might at last wake up and give us Great Northern in Great Northern livery and Bachmann might, just might, offer a K3 similarly attired and with a revised cab.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

Something else to add to the list:

Might be easier just to tell Accurascale that we will take one of everything...

(or, alternately, list the models we don't want them to do).

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2021 at 23:43, The Black Hat said:

Something else to add to the list: 

DSC_5708.JPG.7452f6cb541d4e348251274625c4f985.JPG

Impressive though it may be, I’m not sure a true scale ‘RTR’ model of York station will sell in the volumes Accurascale would hope...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, Foden said:

Impressive though it may be, I’m not sure a true scale ‘RTR’ model of York station will sell in the volumes Accurascale would hope...

I'd love to see a model of York in modern day setup

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

I'd love to see a model of York in modern day setup

Likewise,  it'd be most impressive.

If memory serves, someone on here was once modelling a true scale Birmingham New Street in P4, although I've no idea what happened to it. This would be going back around 10 years, if not more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foden said:

If memory serves, someone on here was once modelling a true scale Birmingham New Street in P4, although I've no idea what happened to it. This would be going back around 10 years, if not more.

Yes I remember seeing that.

I think doing York to scale would need a lottery win and a big shed to put it in as the whole station and yard would need doing really!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Foden said:

By Jim Smith-Wright.

The project seems to have stalled in recent times.

https://www.p4newstreet.com/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, newbryford said:

By Jim Smith-Wright.

The project seems to have stalled in recent times.

https://www.p4newstreet.com/

Unfortunate, I remember looking forward to seeing the finished project too, but what a commitment to see such a thing through. Huge respect to John Holden and the team for achieving what they have with Lime St., such huge representations must take a degree of dedication and enthusiasm I can barely grasp, leave alone aspire to.

My apologies, it wasn’t my intention to wander off on a completely unrelated tangent. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guarded said:

Mark 3 coaches all day long.Please.

Is the oxford one really so bad, especially at £29 a piece?

Mk2b on the other hand havent been available since lima days and 2c never done. Both noticeable omissions in br blue and intercity liveries (plus others).

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

It could be better and it is not suitable for HSTs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Mk2b on the other hand havent been available since lima days and 2c never done. Both noticeable omissions in br blue and intercity liveries (plus others).

Quality over price any day. A decent model lasts many years. 

Roy

• Like 7

5 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Depends on perspective and wants.

The Oxford models have various tooling errors and a history of poor colour choices, and thus are nowhere close to a definitive model of a Mk3/Mk3a that many on here want - so yes, for many of us they are that bad.

Now for those who want something that resembles a Mk3 and are more concerned with price, £29 each may seem reasonable.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a couple of IC Oxford Mk3s, and to my eye they look lovely.

Sadly though, where they fall short is in durability. Every time I breath in the same direction bits seem to fall off, and they just don’t feel very robust.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Putting my head above the parapet here,

seeing as we now have a decent 0 gauge version, I would like to see a 50 bought up to Acurascale standard, we've yet to get a 00 scale version of the correct shape and after it was 

first tried by Lima circa 40 years ago!

Abit overdue. 

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, CazRail said:

An unit that would fill a big gap in my fleet would be a 175, which in theory could accompany the class 180s. As far as units went, I'd say a new 153/155 would be good also. 

I would love to see the Class 155 done, but I suspect it likely isn't viable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CazRail said:

An unit that would fill a big gap in my fleet would be a 175, which in theory could accompany the class 180s. As far as units went, I'd say a new 153/155 would be good also. 

175 isn't of interest, but 180, 185, 155 would work for me.

TBH 153 wise I'd just be happy with Hornby doing another run in Northern purple/blue but I understand why it would make sense if doing a 155.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CazRail said:

As the owner of 5 Hornby Class 153’s, apart from the moving snow plow which was done because of train set curves, I think it’s a pretty good model and I’m sure I’ll get a few more in the Stagecoach East Midlands Trains version, at the right price.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

As the owner of 5 Hornby Class 153’s, apart from the moving snow plow which was done because of train set curves, I think it’s a pretty good model and I’m sure I’ll get a few more in the Stagecoach East Midlands Trains version, at the right price.

At that in essence is the problem for the Class 155.

Could the Class 153 be done better - I would say yes.

But, the key question is would it be enough of a difference to entice people to buy the new version vs the re-run Hornby would rush out?  I don't know but have my doubts.

And without good Class 153 sales I doubt the Class 155 on its own can be justified.

Which is a problem for those like me who want a Class 155, as I have fond memories of them in South Devon.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2