More model ideas

Needless to say i am excited to hear so many new projects are in the works, however earlier in the thread im sure someone suggested accura are moving into plumbing supplies and sanitoryware, a kitchen sink was mentioned i think.

Now accura have no track record whatsoever in that field, so i, for one wont be preordering a double sink and drainer, even if it is dcc fitted. However if they were to do a small handbasin for my downstairs toilet, ......

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

• Funny 1

I hope one of the MUs is Irish, and Mk2 based...

...and another, British with a coathanger on the roof.  Probably a AM4 seeing as my winter modelling project is to try and build a banger blue one.

And please, not an 89, a vile, ugly freak loco that seemingly spent more time in sheds than Lady Chatterley.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Wowzers...

Thats just fired the starting gun for some educated guesses (not wishlisting!!) on what these could be. I will guess at those below given the idea of needing a new tooled item, popularity, time spans of operation, upgraded with digital tech, etc... 

Steam:

1. Black 5
2. GW Hall
3. 8F
4. A4

also ran... 8F

Diesel / Electric

1. Class 50
2. Class 31
3. Class 89

Units:

1. Class 185
2. Class 220/221/222 Voyager/Meridian
3. Class 180 

Steam... 

Agree with the exception of the a4. I rate Hornby's current a4 offering and, whilst AS will obviously move the game on, I'm not sure by just how much. Black 5 can definitely be improved vs Hornbys lightweight, basic plastic model.

Diesels/electic... 

Perfect, especially the class 89. Iconic shape even though awful in real life adn I'm sure will sell v well. Would not say no to a class 73 either as I do not rate the Dapol product (although I know some people do like it) 

Multiple units... 

Not so much to my taste. Still recon an hst, mk3 range and potentially a wessex derived from the mk3 tooling would sell like hot cakes. 

Have complete faith in AS being able to deliver on the diesels and v excited for the deltic and 37 I have on order. I'm sure they'll deliver on steam as well but I'd like to see how the manor is received before I feel confident in placing an order. Having said this I feel more confident over AS's model offering vs Dapol's offering as I do find Dapol a little hit and miss. Still feel it a shame that we'll have two competing products but actually may end up as a good barometer to see how AS stacks up against the competition 

16 hours ago, scumcat said:

That’s why I specifically said I wanted to see your locos quality. 

But an example of this is your last class 92 update says delivery Q3/4 2021 well that is almost upon us and we have yet to see decorated samples. The thread was about wish listing locos for you guys all I want is to see what you can do before the frothing begins.

Accurascale, in addition to the proven track record in delivering goods wagons, have on their staff some very experienced people with a track record of delivering model trains for other manufacturers.  Thus while they are experiencing the typical experiences of a new company (and dealing with a crazy world situation at the moment that is knocking even long established companies into problems - see car makers) it is a reasonable assumption that they will deliver a quality product.

But, and this is a key but, the long time frame it takes from deciding to make a model until actually delivering it (and the costs of that process) mean Accurascale can't just stop and wait for the 37/55/92 to be delivered before starting the next several project they need to keep their pipeline of products moving.  And if they have to keep developing new projects (even if they have delayed announcing them), then it is in the interest of those who want to see something made to make their desire known.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Accurascale, in addition to the proven track record in delivering goods wagons, have on their staff some very experienced people with a track record of delivering model trains for other manufacturers.  Thus while they are experiencing the typical experiences of a new company (and dealing with a crazy world situation at the moment that is knocking even long established companies into problems - see car makers) it is a reasonable assumption that they will deliver a quality product.

But, and this is a key but, the long time frame it takes from deciding to make a model until actually delivering it (and the costs of that process) mean Accurascale can't just stop and wait for the 37/55/92 to be delivered before starting the next several project they need to keep their pipeline of products moving.  And if they have to keep developing new projects (even if they have delayed announcing them), then it is in the interest of those who want to see something made to make their desire known.

Absolutely right "Mdvie". 

The new and improved Bachmann is proving how toy train manufacturers can deliver. The heacode 24, then 20 then 24/0 and now the 47, all seemingly within months.  Certainly focuses you on what you need to spend your money on. I wanted a headcode box 24, whilst actually preferring a skinhead, so bought the green and blues 'boxed ones.  Then the skinhead was advertised a few months ago, and is here in the shops.  In between there's the new 20s, and probably just around the corner the first new duffs.

Fortunately, the only Accurascale loco I fancy is the Manor and that is peripheral.  If however the black five were to come along, I think that would be a huge game changer for me. For one very simple reason actually. Probably ten or more years ago a serious modeller pointed out to me the shortcomings of the Hornby black five - particularly the area around the lower smokebox and saddle. Add in a much finer cab and a properly valanced tender, offering both varieties of firebox and I am pretty sure it would sell far in excess f how you would expect an "upgrade" model to replace in folks collections. 

We shall have to bide our time and watch for Accurascale announcements

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I hope one of the MUs is Irish, and Mk2 based...

...and another, British with a coathanger on the roof.  Probably a AM4 seeing as my winter modelling project is to try and build a banger blue one.

And please, not an 89, a vile, ugly freak loco that seemingly spent more time in sheds than Lady Chatterley.

I have a long term project for a 304 using Replica suburbans. I've managed to get the DC kits front end's windscreens symmetrical, but they're a little too big now. I'll have a rethink for the other end, and retrofit this one at some point. Still, it looks like a 304. An RTR version would be great.

6387D3CD-62C9-4A89-A6EE-485A8DDAC22D.jpeg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My main wishlist items at present are for either an 1854 or a 2721 pannier, and a Diagram N auto trailer, in 4mm, and these might just be of actual interest to Accurascale for possible production. 

The 1854/2721 can share a mech with several other 6-coupled locos that feature that particular axle spacing, and alternate bodies, saddle and pannier, as well as the various cabs, bunkers, and liveries, could ensure a stream of new versions for some time.  The locos were well spread over the GW and cover a wide period, by current standards fairly low hanging RTR GW fruit!

The diagram N auto trailer is my personal wishlist among another fertile and as-yet-uncropped field of possible RTR; panelled auto trailers.  There’s a wide choice of 70’ and 59’ types, the largest single group being A26.  Many lasted until the mid 50s, and, like the saddle/panniers, came in varieties of plated and unplated cab panelling, rear windows, and toplights.  Some were converted from steam railmotors, which could share components.  I accept that the relatively small numbers of each diagram built mitigate against their attraction to RTR producers, but it didn’t stop Airfix with the A30…

Of course, I am not sufficiently cogniscent of the financing, production, and marketing of RTR model railway products, and it is for AS to determine the viability of my suggestions. 

Risk of doing voyagers etc, I think I remember the early Bachmann ones having to have the ‘rights’ as the voyager face is copyrighted. I think? Or at least under virgin, which is why to my understanding the 222s look different. Bachmann had plans for the 222 but it was halted. Now with the 47 project, it’s clear Bachmann might defend their range. I think the market is crying out for more units, the 180/175 market is probably the best bet. 175s can be 2 car, so great for layouts and 180s can go to 10 for bigger layouts. Or at least that’s my opinion. I’ve heard rumblings that the 170/168 retool should appear soon, but I feel that is probably wibble. 

What is the most numerous wagon on BR era layouts ?   I would guess from exhibition layouts that it is the BR 16 ton mineral.    The existing Bachmann model is long overdue for replacement.  A good selection of variants and numbers would see many, many sold.

Oh, and my "wouldn't it be nice" choices ?  4-COR and 4-SUB, with a D1 4-4-0, or an E1 4-4-0, (or if you want to annoy Hornby) an L1 4-4-0.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

When Accurascale started their 'Building Britain' range, covering wagons used in the building and rebuilding in the 1950s/60s, I keep hoping for the BR Anhydrite hoppers to be announced. Used to transport anhydrite from Long Meg quarry and mine in Cumbria to the production plant in Widnes and used in plaster board manufacture. Operated in rakes of single type wagons, and over the famous Settle and Carlisle line. Only 150 were built but had more widespread use when put into general hopper traffic use in the 70s after the mine closed.

For non-powered rolling stock, do A/S have to stay with freight / non-passenger items - apart from the pending mk.5 stock?

If they were to continue their 'different eras' foray - aka Mogul - then they could start some coaching stock to cater for it.

Al.

2 minutes ago, spackz said:

If one D&E is a 40 to the Deltic standards, one MU is a Class 120 and one Steam is an GCR A5 4-6-2T (pretty please on this one!!). I can then retire from buying locos.

You do realise consideration of 'retirement from purchasing' is futile?

It will never happen!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

I have a long term project for a 304 using Replica suburbans. I've managed to get the DC kits front end's windscreens symmetrical, but they're a little too big now. I'll have a rethink for the other end, and retrofit this one at some point. Still, it looks like a 304. An RTR version would be great.

6387D3CD-62C9-4A89-A6EE-485A8DDAC22D.jpeg

The windows of a 304/305/308 are not symmetrical, they are angled upwards in the middle.

Charlie (DCKits)1960082853_Class304Cab.jpg.1d902f13723a5e8bfbcc280be8a87d91.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The windows of a 304/305/308 are not symmetrical, they are angled upwards in the middle.

Charlie (DCKits)1960082853_Class304Cab.jpg.1d902f13723a5e8bfbcc280be8a87d91.jpg

No, to clarify, I meant across the front end, with a vertical line of symmetry up the centre of the front of the unit. The windows look like squares tilted up at a slight angle, but the eyes play tricks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The diagram N auto trailer is my personal wishlist among another fertile and as-yet-uncropped field of possible RTR; panelled auto trailers.  

And not just for the GWR - the absence of any suitable rtr trailer for the various LMS locos Bachmann have made is getting beyond a joke and the same situation will arise for the LNER with the TMC G5 when that appears.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

the absence of any suitable rtr trailer for the various LMS locos ..... the same situation will arise for the LNER .....

Yet both these railways used a 'slightly' modified 'standard' non-gangwayed brake coach which the existing manufacturers have chosen not to adapt to suit !

( Conversely, the BR(S) driving trailer from Hornby could be reverse-engineered to a 1935 Brake Composite and, again, this hasn't been done.)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yet both these railways used a 'slightly' modified 'standard' non-gangwayed brake coach which the existing manufacturers have chosen not to adapt to suit !

( Conversely, the BR(S) driving trailer from Hornby could be reverse-engineered to a 1935 Brake Composite and, again, this hasn't been done.)

I think the reason is that Hornby have the suitable base coaches but the locos are largely by Bachmann and presumably the economics don't work for either company.  There were however trailers of pre-grouping origin from that survived into the 1950s and might make better prototypes for Accurascale if that sort of one-off fits their business model, without duplicating existing (excellent) ranges.

• Like 1