More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

And not just for the GWR - the absence of any suitable rtr trailer for the various LMS locos Bachmann have made is getting beyond a joke and the same situation will arise for the LNER with the TMC G5 when that appears.

Quite; more low hanging fruit and as you say most of the locos are in production or can be easily renumbered/adapted.  I bang on about the GW because I know a little more about it than the other railways...

• Agree 1

On 30/04/2021 at 09:48, jools1959 said:

I’ve only put on the list loco’s that are physically present, that’s why I didn’t add the Class 93, even though I’m aware of it.  I’m unaware of the Class 18.

KR are doing the 18 now anyway!

On 05/07/2021 at 08:04, TomScrut said:

Who are the big 3? I'd have Dapol in there and they are very good at doing multiple running nos. In fact they have done 24 different HIAs, out of a total of 122 built.

Not that I need more cement wagons but these JGAs are cool IMO:

66621 powers north along the slowline at Cossington, MML towards Sileby Junction on 27.7.16 with 6M92 1223 West Thurrock Sidings  - Tunstead Sdgs empty JGA bogie cement wagons owned by Ermewa and used by Tarmac 70817 Beighton Jn 07 Aug 19

At least 3 liveries as well

81 70 7829 013-4 at northampton 11703 Derby 020312 11719 Derby 020312

I saw some of these on the ECML last night above York, even more reason to want them! I had yet to find any evidence they were regionally relevant to me, I just thought they were cool.

11 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I may have missed it, but my suggestions are for the NIR Hunslet, and some multiple units such as NIR 70  and 80 class or GNR(I)  AEC and BUT railcars

Do you think there’d be a big enough market for them? What about the WT (one preserved in working order and with heritage RTR coaches to go with it) or the new build W Mogul? Wrong side of the UK border perhaps? Likely a Class 800 would be more poplar – most powerful steam locomotive to run in Ireland and one preserved (if not in running order). GNR(I)? Three types of express steam locos remain in running order and two with inside cylinders (not that outside valve gear is likely to frighten Accurascale).

The WT, with Stanier’s three-cylinder jobs, are missing links in the development of Fowler’s excellent 2-6-4Ts. Who expected to see the words “Fowler” and “excellent” in the same sentence? :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

@No Decorum of course the steam locos you suggest would be good too. I was thinking of diesels with my suggestions.  As to market size, Murphy Models has done OK with his selection of locos and carriages.  The decision would of course be for IRM's assessment of the market.

BTW there is no "wrong side of the border" as far as railways are concerned.  Trains are trains.  :)

After all the  UTA in the north painted everything green while CIE in the south settled on black & tan !!! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

@No Decorum of course the steam locos you suggest would be good too. I was thinking of diesels with my suggestions.  As to market size, Murphy Models has done OK with his selection of locos and carriages.  The decision would of course be for IRM's assessment of the market.

BTW there is no "wrong side of the border" as far as railways are concerned.  Trains are trains.  :)

After all the  UTA in the north painted everything green while CIE in the south settled on black & tan !!! ;)

Yes, trains are trains but I’m thinking about markets. Accurascale might not think there’s a market for something which ran only in Northern Ireland. The GNR(I) is quite a different matter.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, trains are trains but I’m thinking about markets. Accurascale might not think there’s a market for something which ran only in Northern Ireland. The GNR(I) is quite a different matter.

NIR Hunslets were purchased for and used on the Belfast - Dublin service.  80 class often travelled to Dublin and sometimes beyond.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Do you think there’d be a big enough market for them?

The 80 class is a truly iconic unit, probably the best BR built unit they never had, and can claim to be the units that saved NIR from total oblivion.  They often ran south of the border, to places as far away as Cork on specials, and on Rugby and Gaelic Football specials to Dublin.  They came in two and three car versions, and following damage to original intermediate cars some acquired ex-BR Mk2 b and c trailers - so we could get a Mk2c piggy backed on an 80 class project!  They also have that fabulous "Thumper" soundtrack.

To be honest, it's a shame BR didn't build a batch for their own services.

I am speaking as a confirmed fan of the class, having worked on the Dublin-Belfast Microsoft Train Simulator route add on where we included the units, and I had great fun working on the sound files and the livery graphics.  I went over to Belfast to sample one to Derry, and it was  No.99 "Sir Myles Humphries" which still showed some evidence of the rebuild it had from bomb damage in 1993.  Probably one of the most enjoyable train excursions I've done.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

The 80 class is a truly iconic unit, probably the best BR built unit they never had, and can claim to be the units that saved NIR from total oblivion.  They often ran south of the border, to places as far away as Cork on specials, and on Rugby and Gaelic Football specials to Dublin.  They came in two and three car versions, and following damage to original intermediate cars some acquired ex-BR Mk2 b and c trailers - so we could get a Mk2c piggy backed on an 80 class project!  They also have that fabulous "Thumper" soundtrack.

I am speaking as a confirmed fan of the class, having worked on the Dublin-Belfast Microsoft Train Simulator route add on where we included the units, and I had great fun working on the sound files and the livery graphics.  I went over to Belfast to sample one to Derry, and it was  No.99 "Sir Myles Humphries" which still showed some evidence of the rebuild it had from bomb damage in 1993.  Probably one of the most enjoyable train excursions I've done.

I’m pretty sure that BR did in the early 80’s with the prototype Class 210 DEMU in both a 3 and 4 car version.  I think it never progressed any further as it was quite slow to accelerate away from station stops and with the sprinter family coming on stream, it was quietly dropped.  One car from the 210 lives on as a replacement intermediate trailer car on 455 913, which was damaged beyond repair when a lorry landed on it in November 2010.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I’m pretty sure that BR did in the early 80’s with the prototype Class 210 DEMU in both a 3 and 4 car version.  I think it never progressed any further as it was quite slow to accelerate away from station stops and with the sprinter family coming on stream, it was quietly dropped.  One car from the 210 lives on as a replacement intermediate trailer car on 455 913, which was damaged beyond repair when a lorry landed on it in November 2010.

• RMweb Gold

Class 210 may well have succeeded if they had put a more modern engine in it. 600hp was OK for 3 cars but not enough for 4.

But having an engine compartment does take up a lot of space in a 3-car unit and makes access between two or more units difficult.

The 150 used essentially the same Mk3 bodywork components but sensibly hung the engines out of the way below the floor. Just a shame that makes for a lot of noise and vibration throughout the train. As I recall, the 210 was fitted with much more comfortable seating than subsequent BR diesel units.

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

........ makes access between two or more units difficult. .......

We, as customers passengers might value access between units but the Operators aren't so certain : I'm not sure whether you can actually get between 455s on the South Western but the Southern ones have had the gangways removed.

The 210 was a radically different unit, the two prototypes were designed to replicate the rate of acceleration of the Class 317 and part of the design concept was to multiple with electric units in a similar way to how Southern units could multiple regardless of the motive power.  The need for a high installed power whilst maintaining a through corridor led to one prototype having a baby Valenta unit similar to the HST and another a then new to Britain MTU unit.  It was the cost of the unit which killed the project in the water - and led to the orders for the Pacers as the PTEs didn't want such expensive trains.  WMPTE then led the call for a modern DMU and with Met-Camm in their area got them to spec up a unit which prompted Provincial to commission the Class 150 and 151 prototypes with various power and transmission options.  Met-Camm went for an automatic mechanical gearbox whilst BREL went for the hydro-mechanical transmission, which eventually won out to produce the Class 150s and subsequent units.

The 80 class is effectively a Mk2 based Southern Thumper unit, whilst the 210 was a much higher spec diesel powered EMU with performance matching capability.  The fact it was an expensive solution did at least lead to some serious design input for a simpler modern DMU which went on to effectively transform Regional services in terms of quality and frequency, so for a dead end did have some good outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1