More model ideas

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the MU projects; having produced the MK5s then perhaps a good working relationship with CAF would make their other UK products a good candidate? A Class 397 Nova 2 set to run with your Nova 3, a bevy of two car 195/6/7 units for smaller layouts, put a 331 under their new working pantographs? 

If we’re still wishlisting I would order at least a pair of 315s on Day 1!

Edited by Watto1990
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Watto1990 said:

Regarding the MU projects; having produced the MK5s then perhaps a good working relationship with CAF would make their other UK products a good candidate? A Class 397 Nova 2 set to run with your Nova 3, a bevy of two car 195/6/7 units for smaller layouts, put a 331 under their new working pantographs? 

195s I'd definitely be keen on, maybe even 331 at a push.

9 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

Not discounting those, but perhaps something from a different era as a first go - if customers are busy paying for Mk5 sets and the associated locos their wallets might be empty for a bit so better off hitting a different part of the market and then come back to those (not to mention wanting to see how well the Mk5s sell and hence how much of a market there is - remembering that these are all multi-year projects and a manufacturer may not want to put all their money and hence risk into one area.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 09/08/2021 at 22:52, mdvle said:

Not discounting those, but perhaps something from a different era as a first go - if customers are busy paying for Mk5 sets and the associated locos their wallets might be empty for a bit so better off hitting a different part of the market and then come back to those (not to mention wanting to see how well the Mk5s sell and hence how much of a market there is - remembering that these are all multi-year projects and a manufacturer may not want to put all their money and hence risk into one area.

Gotcha !!!! You have to be on about the class 119 and 120 Cross Country units then.  Transition era modellers. 

Yep.  I would have a green 119 and two green 120s but the Swindon units would need to have the four marker light cabs and speed whiskers !!! 

• Like 2

Daft as it seems, I think there is scope for a scale representation of the BR "Sausage on a Stick" fluorescent station light.  There are some nearly there models of German prototypes in HO, and some nearly there knock-offs from Chinese suppliers on Ali Express, but none that look like the UK type, which was used everywhere right up until the 90s.  I think it might have been a development of an LNER design, so might even appeal to those who like apple green tea-urns, but a working LED version of the standard BR platform light I'm sure would appeal to a lot of modellers from the 1950s onward.  Also, given our Chinese overlords are churning out working LED scale model streetlights by the containerful for pence, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get made.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2021 at 10:28, spackz said:

If one D&E is a 40 to the Deltic standards, one MU is a Class 120 and one Steam is an GCR A5 4-6-2T (pretty please on this one!!). I can then retire from buying locos.

Well I'm 30% of the way there thanks to Sonic models announcement today, only gone and ordered 2 of them.

• Like 1

I know I and others have mentioned the 8F and Black 5 as crying out for a modern retool.

But another loco is the Rebuilt MN. Yes the Hornby model was a paradigm shift, but there are loads of ways it coudl be improved (hollow forebox, no bracket on front of whistle, elements of crude/missing detail around deflectors, huge join mark on the boiler... etc etc). It pains me to say it as I love my Clan Line and will certainly never part with it, but would also be in the market for an upgrade.

As with the Deltic, a modern model that could be brought up to 2021 standards.

I wonder if Accurscale might take the leap....

The problem is that Hornby have had an economy of scale of designing 'common' parts like wheels, and tender parts across their Bulleid range.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 3

I miss the NIR class 80 so much. Used to love trips to Belfast on them as a child, even a trip to Portrush and back with the school. I got to shadow a guard on one during school work experience and then commuted during the transition to the CAF units.

If I could own just one multiple unit in RTR I would love it to be a class 80

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

We are acutely aware locos are vital and have 6 D&E and 5 steam and several MU projects underway

Please please please let there be a Class 120 and/or a Class 126 ;)

Well yes.  The long frame low density DMU cars such as 114, 119, 120 and 126 share a lot of commonality. A ideal comprehensive Accurascale type project. Compare the window and door spacing on the DMS of the 119 and 120 to the DTCL of the 114 for example.  There are however significant differences too !!!

Edited by Covkid
typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A Class 114 and 120 would be great for my Sleaford layout should I decide to backdate it, along with 20’s, 31’s, 37’s and 40’s.  Oh stop screams my wallet :nono::nono::nono:

On 05/08/2021 at 23:44, McC said:

We are acutely aware locos are vital and have 6 D&E and 5 steam and several MU projects underway that we are striving to deliver to the absolute highest detail and fidelity at the most realistic price points possible.  

At the risk of giving Andy multiple blood pressure spikes, I can't help but want to speculate (rather than wish-list) what might be on that list of investment projects.  Assuming the totals include investment projects for the Irish market, I wonder if the following might be on the work programme?

Ireland

Baby Metrovick
2600 DMU (which would allow the de-engined pre-Dart push pulls to be modelled with the Baby Metrovick)

Slieve Gullion
80 Class

UK

Class 50

More 37 varieties

Class 40

Class 120

Class 313-508

Class 321

LMS 5MT and 8F

GWR Mogul

My reasoning? Baby Metrovick would be the obvious follow on from the A Class, also ran on NIR infrastructure trains and carried a similar range of liveries.  2600 DMU (the original AEC/BUT 1950s design, not the later Japanese built units - although one of them would be a potential given the range of liveries and workings they have undertaken) because they worked alongside the Metrovicks and were later converted to push-pull Dublin commuter trains with the baby Metrovicks.  Slieve Gullion is an iconic Irish steam loco still in use on RTPI specials, although any of the RPSI steamers would be just as likely.  

For the UK range, the 50 is a bit of a low hanging fruit, fits in with the "Deltic" and 37s, the 40 keeps the EE theme going and has never quite hit the iconic model status the type really deserves, there are a gazillion more 37 varieties waiting in the wings no doubt, the Class 120 DMMU has been a wish-list topper for years, and has widespread geographical spread, and the two emus? Well, Revolution are planning these models in N so perhaps Accurascale might be having a chat with them. In any case the PEPs are highly standardised which would allow for the main body components to cover most if not all varieties, and worked from Scotland to the South Coast in various guises (although sadly for me, not in the Midlands) and similarly the 321-2 is a widespread unit, includes a huge range of liveries and has worked a wide range of routes and services.  The 5MT and 8F are two designs that current models haven't quite got right and combined totalled a massive number of locos, the Mogul, despite the Dapol model, I can't help thinking would have been researched at the same time as the Manor, and ran to many more than the latter, so if Accurascale think they can earn enough Guinness tokens competing with Dapol on the Manor, there must be some more bunce in going for a Mogul.

Can I blag a free model if I got any of those correct? Asking for a friend...

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Class 50

More 37 varieties

Class 40

Class 120

Class 313-508

Class 321

LMS 5MT and 8F

GWR Mogul

For the UK range, the 50 is a bit of a low hanging fruit, fits in with the "Deltic" and 37s, the 40 keeps the EE theme going and has never quite hit the iconic model status the type really deserves,

I would agree on the Class 50, unless Hornby also agree and thus have started their own new tooling.

the Class 120 DMMU has been a wish-list topper for years, and has widespread geographical spread,

Ben (Heljan) recently stated that they stopped work on the 7mm Class 120 prior to him joining due to the difficulty in finding the necessary research materials.

Doesn't mean a different team wouldn't have more luck, or the additional years mean more stuff has been found, but it may explain why despite the polling it hasn't been done yet (it also makes the point that if someone knows / has the necessary drawings for a model they should perhaps make it known to Accurascale and other manufacturers).

the Mogul, despite the Dapol model, I can't help thinking would have been researched at the same time as the Manor, and ran to many more than the latter, so if Accurascale think they can earn enough Guinness tokens competing with Dapol on the Manor, there must be some more bunce in going for a Mogul.

I doubt a Mogul.

The Manor was announced February, with comments that the project had started 18 months prior - so say August 2019.  Dapol Manor was announced March 2020 so 7 months after Accurascale had started.

Dapol's Mogul though was announced December 2017 (along with the Prairie), so long before Accurascale's first (public) steam project.

While I would certainly like another GWR steam loco, my guess would be this early they may be tempted to spread around geographically (unless another GWR loco fits in with some other projects) so perhaps Southern or LNER.

• RMweb Premium

Mmm only came across this thread today . Great news that there’s lots under development .

I’d hope Accurascale would bring an EMU to market . I think they have the best chance given their mk5s are £225 for a five rake , although I appreciate that when announced prices in China were much lower.  I still think they would be best providing 3/4 car EMUs and DMUs . While Bachmann models are great , their prices are eye watering eg the 4 BEP at £499 . There has to be an opportunity there for you to bring in an MU at better price point .

My heart would sing at a Glasgow Blue Train 303 , but I have to recognise that’s a fairly geographically restricted prototype . Handsome units though .   Much more a go-er I think I’d the 313/314/315/507/508 units . Bigger geographical spread and lots of colour schemes . 

Everyone seems to be concentrating on D&E prototypes but I note 5 steam subjects under development .  More difficult here because most of the main classes are covered . One that to me is crying out for a new model is the Standard Class 5 . I know there is a Bachmann model but it’s pretty old . Could be an opportunity here .  Other than that there are some lovely pregrouping locos . An NBR Glen or Caley Dunalastair would be classics . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1