More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

So even if its a 50 it will be a long wait if it was only scanned on Tuesday....

Do we know which particular loco was being scanned?

Agree - and of course it might not be for modelling purposes, loco's get scanned for Network rail gauging purposes too so might be that. 50007 was the loco concerned

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree - and of course it might not be for modelling purposes, loco's get scanned for Network rail gauging purposes too so might be that. 50007 was the loco concerned

Thanks.

I wonder if there is potential to save costs in scanning by modelling companies selling their scans to NR where locos are mainline registered and in need of updated gauging

Elgar is one that I would love to see in GWR150 livery if the boys from across the sea do the 50!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to a Facebook post someone was laser scanning a Class 50 at Kidderminster diesel depot on Tuesday . No information on whether any Irish accents overheard :)

Given that the announcement of the announcements on Facebook states that they are both running samples I think it's most likely not a 50

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Csalem said:

Something to look forward to in three hours it seems:

I’ll just have a quick look at the Hornby thread

We can see what H “just announce” that theyve been working on for at least an hour longer than everyone else.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

What is interesting is that the Mk2b not only fills an important gap in RTR stock (never before made), but it also complements Accurascales Deltic (and I'm guessing the 37 although I don't know if Mk2bs were dual heated and therefore 'heatable' by anything pre 37/4).

I wonder if we will see other stock announcements that complement other parts of the Accurascale range (or a Class 50 to complement the Mk2s!!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

I wonder if we will see other stock announcements that complement other parts of the Accurascale range

They do seem like synergy is in their interest, given the 92/Mk5 and potential 73/9s. 37s and nuclear trains do also have some links, or as much as can be done without going after models already on the market (66 and 68).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A Stanier Black Five or 8F would do very nicely !

Im not a steam era modeller, but those 2 must be sure fire winners.  As long as you like black loco's!

Bread and butter loco's of their day, much like 25s/37s, seen on anything and everything over most of the network

Edited by Monkersson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

What is interesting is that the Mk2b not only fills an important gap in RTR stock (never before made), but it also complements Accurascales Deltic (and I'm guessing the 37 although I don't know if Mk2bs were dual heated and therefore 'heatable' by anything pre 37/4).

Yes they were dual-heated and air braked so good behind any steam or electric heat fitted loco during the heating period and anything air-braked in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

Im not a steam era modeller, but those 2 must be sure fire winners.  As long as you like black loco's!

Bread and butter loco's of their day, much like 25s/37s, seen on anything and everything over most of the network

And how much difference would there be in the body to make them completely different toolings? Obviously the chassis would be different but given one is based on the other AFAIK they can't be worlds apart surely? I am far from an expert on these locos so I expect there will be plenty of reasons how they are different above the running plate!

Edited by TomScrut

1 hour ago, 40052 said:

Yes they were dual-heated and air braked so good behind any steam or electric heat fitted loco during the heating period and anything air-braked in the summer.

And I've actually got copy of Michael Harris' Mk2 Biography on the shelf behind me, but didn't think to look at it before I posted :-p

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Would you really turn your nose up at a newly tooled Black 5 or 8F manufactured to Accurascale standard ?

The Black 5, yes. The 8F, probably not, but I’d still rather have a Fowler 2-6-2T, a Stanier 2-6-2T, a Tilbury Tank, a J6, J69, W 2-6-4T, a Caley 0-4-4T, etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

According to a Facebook post someone was laser scanning a Class 50 at Kidderminster diesel depot on Tuesday . No information on whether any Irish accents overheard :)

Several people on Facebook, who were at least pretending to be in the know, said the scan was not done with a model in mind (but that it didn't stop it being used in future), although they also didn't say what it was for.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Downer said:

The Black 5, yes. The 8F, probably not, but I’d still rather have a Fowler 2-6-2T, a Stanier 2-6-2T, a Tilbury Tank, a J6, J69, W 2-6-4T, a Caley 0-4-4T, etc etc.

That’s a good list. I hope someone is reading it. What about adding a K2 and possibly a Gresley K1 as well?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, DLPG said:

J21, S160 or a Q7. Someone needs to take on the S160 challenge 

Yes, all of them but especially the S160. Why produce something which has been produced before? There are so many steam locomotives which could be chosen that even an opera singer would run out of breath reciting them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

And how much difference would there be in the body to make them completely different toolings? Obviously the chassis would be different but given one is based on the other AFAIK they can't be worlds apart surely? I am far from an expert on these locos so I expect there will be plenty of reasons how they are different above the running plate!

I'd imagine there would be a commonality of parts that could be used on both models, the devil is in the details though, of which there are considerable combinations which would probably embarrass a Class 37!

I believe the Black 5 also had a long wheel base version?

The Hornby versions, whilst good, aren't doing the classes justice 

• Like 3