More model ideas

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a good list. I hope someone is reading it. What about adding a K2 and possibly a Gresley K1 as well?

Considering the Hornby (Over produced) K1 didn't really sell as well as expected.  You have to ask the question, would the Gresley version fare any better I wonder?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of the black 5, However  we all know how Hornby can be if you go near there bread and butter models. Also they have recently revamped their Princess Royals and Coronations which would to me at least say the Black 5 is probably been discussed if not acted up on. Giving the likelihood of Hornby ether bringing forward a new model or rushing one out. 

Monkersson Hornby black fives models can be made into the long wheel base. You just  need to get the longer wheel base connecting rods. (Which Hornby have done) The rear wheel bearings are a brass square with the hole drilled off centre. Undo the baseplate switch the bearings round and the model becomes long wheel base. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

Gresley V4. Only 2 engines but wouldn’t they look fantastic?

If the Thompson Pacifics were a sales success for Hornby (ignoring their many shortcomings), I should think the K4s would be too. All appeared in LNER green, all were named. Where the Pacifics were imposing, the K4s were cute. Top of my list.

Loch Long
The Great Marquess
Cameron of Lochiel
Lord of the Isles
MacCailin Mor
MacLeod of MacLeod

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Considering the Hornby (Over produced) K1 didn't really sell as well as expected.  You have to ask the question, would the Gresley version fare any better I wonder?

Pepp’s K1 is a nice model. The Gresleys could appear in GNR green and LNER green. I think it’s as true as ever it was that colour sells. Whilst I’d love a K1, a K2 would be a better bet.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, farren said:

I like the idea of the black 5, However  we all know how Hornby can be if you go near there bread and butter models. Also they have recently revamped their Princess Royals and Coronations which would to me at least say the Black 5 is probably been discussed if not acted up on. Giving the likelihood of Hornby ether bringing forward a new model or rushing one out. 

Monkersson Hornby black fives models can be made into the long wheel base. You just  need to get the longer wheel base connecting rods. (Which Hornby have done) The rear wheel bearings are a brass square with the hole drilled off centre. Undo the baseplate switch the bearings round and the model becomes long wheel base. 

Long wheelbase black fives also had longer smoke boxes, changing the wheelbase on the Hornby model does not change that , you just end up with a short wheelbase black five with the wrong wheelbase.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh it’s probably why Hornby have only produced one possibly two long wheel base models.
As Hornbys Black five, as dozens of combinations possible with differing buffer beams, chimney height, the 3 boilers steam darts, tenders possible fire box (I think), smoke box doors etc they fell down on the smoke box length for the LWB.

I know it’s a old model now and I tend to remove the lip under the tender as well as reposition the plate under the smoke further back I do have a soft spot for the black fives. 

if Accurascale produced one it would be light years ahead of Hornbys I just don’t know if I would want to replace my five. 

I guess time will tell and I’d probably buckle and buy one…….

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, farren said:

if Accurascale produced one it would be light years ahead of Hornbys I just don’t know if I would want to replace my five. 

Is that 1 black 5, or 5 black 5s (i.e. 25 :lol:)

That's the bit I expect is most difficult when deciding whether to do a new version of a well established model that the prototype has been done several times.

1. How many people want more than what they have?

2. How many will chop in their older ones for the new one?

• Like 1

In all the excitement (justifiably) about the Mk2b/c announcement, I did wonder if the Mk2 Manchester Pullman might be a possible model?  OK, it's a niche type, ran largely on one route, and until their refurbishment for the Charter business couldn't be hauled by diesels (electrical compatibility) and air brake only locos, but - the Caledonian Sleeper is as niche.  They would compliment the growth in OHLE locos (although not Hornby's 87 which were air brake only) and there are four variants of two basic liveries - the original grey blue with slab serif lettering, and later Rail Alphabet, and two versions of IC Executive, as the Manchester Pullman with Manchester names and the Charter Lakeland Pullman named after the lakes.  There is also a private livery after they were sold off.  There are three basic types - kitchen, parlour and brake, and considerable opportunity for lighting and decoration excellence.

Whilst up until the mid 1980s you only ever saw them on the AC lines, they sometimes worked football specials taking teams to Wembley, they also worked a railtour to the Eastern Region via the North London Line, and post refurbishment after they were replaced by Mk3 stock to Manchester, turned up across the network even being pressed into summer holiday traffic on occasions, which does offer some wider sales potential.

Given the Blue Pullman, which Bachmann said would not be made, before they did a complete screeching U turn, sells, it could be an interesting model.  After an 80 class and a 310, of course.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2021 at 09:48, Black 5 Bear said:

A Stanier Black Five or 8F would do very nicely !

On 26/08/2021 at 19:00, Monkersson said:

Im not a steam era modeller, but those 2 must be sure fire winners.  As long as you like black loco's!

On 26/08/2021 at 20:31, Black 5 Bear said:

Would you really turn your nose up at a newly tooled Black 5 or 8F manufactured to Accurascale standard ?

On 26/08/2021 at 21:27, Downer said:

The Black 5, yes. The 8F, probably not, but I’d still rather have a Fowler 2-6-2T, a Stanier 2-6-2T, a Tilbury Tank, a J6, J69, W 2-6-4T, a Caley 0-4-4T, etc etc.

i’m against duplication, the Manor demonstrates why.

However, the detail levels Accurascale produce cannot be ignored.

The chassis and wheels of Hornbys B5 and 8F are woeful. The finesse of the body shows its age, and neither pull skin off a rice pudding.

You cant ignore the draw of a Black 5, for nearly 90 years its a favourite.

The 8f actually has a few liveries (Khaki, Grey, Black, as well as TCDD, Iran, Palestine, Iraq and Egypt, plus of course LMS and BR Red), then of course theres LMS, NE and WD versions. 
No shortage of preserved ones either, and potential for some of the odder Black 5’s.

Of course, making something previously unmodelled is always nice, I do think with steam its getting closer to diminishing returns.. just look at the weekly bargain bins, theres far too many LNE / SR 0-6-0 tender engines, imho the gap is LMS.

The Southern, LNE and GWR have held a lot of vocal influence of just a few influential ears for a few years, and things like a Fowler/Stanier 2-6-2t or a Tilbury, or even an LMS Push Pull coach I think would hold their own, and LMS fans have had to put up with just 1x OO gauge LMS 0-6-0 goods engine for 50+ years now… the Fowler 3F/4F, by Lima, Airfix, Dapol, Hornby and Bachmann.. Surely its time for a breath of fresh air.. Does an L&Y 0-6-0 (500+ built) have some following ?.. after all theres two very pretty ones touring the country in L&Y lining, and a tank version too !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit left field, but the 100T "jumbo" ammonia tanks are ripe for the Accurascale treatment. Built by Fauvet-Girel and leased by STS for various UK fertiliser companies (Fisons, ICI). They also of course worked in Ireland in similar arrangements with STS and the CIE. Built in several batches from the late 1960s, downside is there is very few photos in service (I've looked), and there were several detail differences between lots.

Very fond 1970s memories of these working to Avonmouth from Immingham. Empties were often stabled in Stoke Gifford yard prior to return to immingham.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=Ammonia tanks

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/7113-ammonia-wagons/

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

.... theres far too many LNE / SR 0-6-0 tender engines, ....

c'mon - that's unfair on those of us who happen to model those regions ............ you're probably right that it's the L.M.S.' turn for something beyond 4Fs & 3Fs tho'. ( Now, what was built in significant numbers and lasted a long time - preferably into B.R. days ....... ? )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

LNWR Cauliflower would be a good model. Nice Open cab lots detail for Accurascale to cram in their. quiet open frames so some valve gear modelling working maybe (a challenge for the Irish lads) or the DX,

Also the Coal engine though as Bachmann do the tank they might have plan’s for that. 

Edited by farren

14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

c'mon - that's unfair on those of us who happen to model those regions ............ you're probably right that it's the L.M.S.' turn for something beyond 4Fs & 3Fs tho'. ( Now, what was built in significant numbers and lasted a long time - preferably into B.R. days ....... ? )

8 hours ago, farren said:

LNWR Cauliflower would be a good model. Nice Open cab lots detail for Accurascale to cram in their. quiet open frames so some valve gear modelling working maybe (a challenge for the Irish lads) or the DX,

Also the Coal engine though as Bachmann do the tank they might have plan’s for that. 

The "black" 0-6-0 goods engine must surely be a good option.  The Midland 2Fs lasted (just) into the early 1960s, but obviously received rebuilds such Belpaire fireboxes. I agree the "Cauliflowers" might be a good simple choice although little variety of liveries for this genre. Agree with others that bothe the Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2 tanks would be serious gapfillers and would bring diversity to the Accurascale portfolio. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yeah - but those 2-6-2Ts were such poor indifferent locos Accurascale might not wish to be associated with them !

Do you mean like the reputation amongst modellers of Claytons, Co Bos and pretty much anything with a diamond shaped NBL plate - at least with diesels anyway ?

I suppose it depends where AS want to go / which market they want to create.

A relatively new market is Era2 - pre Grouping, but perhaps not.

Also, it would be nice if whatever they 'create' can tie in with other products - coaches, wagons, etc - for a double whammy.

Ignoring that, I'm definitely Stanier-biased, so Black 5 and 8F would be grate. Let's face it, multiples of either are prototypical, there were 842 5's and 852 8F's (according to Wiki - I've seen other numbers for the 8F).

THEN ...

The GWR 14xx always looks great on any Western branch line, or 'preservation line'.

A Western which doesn't detonate when you use it as well - Heljan one is a great runner which many say is flawed.

I had an ugly experience with the other one and won't touch them again.

Then there's also a Class ......

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

For some reason those 2-6-2Ts were a pale shadow of their 2-6-4T brethren .... whether Stanier used basically the Fowler chassis in each case, I don't know - though I think the smaller locos were both somewhat under-boilered ............ maybe something to do with axle load limits wherever they were intended to run (?) - though there are L.M.S. experts hereabouts who should be able to give chapter and verse.

I would say the LMS 8 and 5s are among the 'weakest' of the post 2000 Hornby models. I don't know how much of the 8 is actually the same as its tender drive predecessor, but the thick cab roof is awful. I say this as someone who has a lovely 48773 model but would welcome an upgrade (complete with yellow cab stripes as retired/preserved).

Given their sheer numbers, and the ability to also model overseas examples of the 8Fs (niche limited edition for the middle east), together with War Department options, they will be very versatile models.

Also the tenders will be the same between both classes, so saving on tooling costs.

Both are models that will lend themselves to smallish but numerous runs that Accurascale seems to be targeting, and have a HUGE geographical range and time span.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

For some reason those 2-6-2Ts were a pale shadow of their 2-6-4T brethren .... whether Stanier used basically the Fowler chassis in each case, I don't know - though I think the smaller locos were both somewhat under-boilered ............ maybe something to do with axle load limits wherever they were intended to run (?) - though there are L.M.S. experts hereabouts who should be able to give chapter and verse.

My understanding is that the 2-6-2Ts had short valve travel – a boob considering that the earlier and very successful 2-6-4Ts had long valve travel. You are right that they were under-boilered. Stanier had a go but wasn’t very successful, although he did construct four (I think) with larger boilers, which were better. Ivatt seems to have regarded the whole lot as a bad job and instead designed his very able Class 2 2-6-2Ts.

Thank you for mentioning the 2-6-4Ts. Terry Essery, younger brother of the railway historian Bob, wrote what I think are the the most exciting, informative and sometimes downright funny engineman’s memoirs. He rated all the 2-6-4Ts highly. It didn’t help Fowler’s reputation that his most successful design was a suburban tank loco. Hornby produced the original Fowler many years ago. It was good in its day but Hornby has since retooled it and added the Stanier two-cylinder version. Bachmann has produced the Ivatt version and its BR Standard successor. What’s left? The Stanier three-cylinder version for the Tilbury line although suggestions some years ago didn’t seem to arouse much enthusiasm. It was also put to Simon Kohler that a Fowler with full-height cab doors would be nice. If I recall correctly, he said he would think about it and apparently, he still is.

Of course, there is also the niche-niche WT, The LMS Northern Counties Committee 2-6-4T. A fascinating machine, one of which survives in working order. Parallel boiler, full-height cab doors, 6' driving wheels and it must have been one of the earliest to have a rocking grate. Over to Accurascale.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1