More model ideas

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, although I wouldn't say that means there is no reason. Plenty of us will have 90s with no relevant one left to buy, but would snap their hands off at something from whatever era of interest.

This is the flip side of Bachmann business model of the past - if you are making models in quantities that you inventory them for a year or more you are inherently limiting the number of liveries and/or numbers - which as you say isn't what today's market wants given that newer entrants like Accurascale/Rapido/etc. are all offering more variety with each production run.

I aren't sure how the MOQs work in this industry but I expect the main focal point would be around moldings and castings rather than paint jobs.

Bachmann may have different minimums, but the US manufacturers seem to indicated each paint scheme needs at least 500 units - liveries have issues around setup/tear down not just in the paint shop but in the pad printing machines (and many liveries may need multiple passes through the pad printing machines) - and the factories don't like the wasted time each livery change creates.

Which isn't to day you can't do less, but the factory would charge a premium that would be difficult to recover.

On a similar note it would be interesting to compare how long AS have 92s for, I expect the market will be a similar size but AS are doing a LOT more liveries but we do not know how the overall quantities compare. There is more than 1 92 livery on offer I'd be tempted by to go with the 92020 I already have on order.

I would think the 92, being dual mode, would have a bigger market that the 90 - plus of course the sleeper sales will be helping to sell it.

I appreciate they do need to make a business decision about it, the point is more that if they aren't using it then somebody else might think it is worth a go. They'd then start churning them out again I expect!

The flip side though is that given (as you stated) Bachmann can do a version of calling up the factory and saying we need X of the 70 or 90 means it is unlikely for either of those anyone else would risk the multiple 6 figure tooling and development costs - unless they really think they can offer a better model that modellers would react positively to.

4 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Bachmann may have different minimums, but the US manufacturers seem to indicated each paint scheme needs at least 500 units

Yeah, 500 is about what the limited runs are isn't it. I expect far more than 500 of each 90 (except the CC one) were made though! That reminds me, in fact of the 4 they have done (I forgot the CC one), 3 are pre privatisation which is actually a small period in their lifetime.

5 minutes ago, mdvle said:

liveries have issues around setup/tear down not just in the paint shop but in the pad printing machines (and many liveries may need multiple passes through the pad printing machines) - and the factories don't like the wasted time each livery change creates.

Which isn't to day you can't do less, but the factory would charge a premium that would be difficult to recover.

I completely agree, I think in that respect, if I was in that business, I'd be looking at the trade off between moving stock quickly because plenty of people are buying more than one and having money tied up. They maybe do and it doesn't pay off for them. It seems to have done for Hattons with their 66 (although that was also at a very good price when they flew off the shelves, had there not been the quality issues I expect it would have also happened at £150).

7 minutes ago, mdvle said:

I would think the 92, being dual mode, would have a bigger market that the 90 - plus of course the sleeper sales will be helping to sell it.

I think there are cases for both TBH, the 90 is slightly older and also ran WCML expresses for 15 years, and ECML expresses on and off for about 30!

10 minutes ago, mdvle said:

it is unlikely for either of those anyone else would risk the multiple 6 figure tooling and development costs - unless they really think they can offer a better model that modellers would react positively to.

Yes, I agree, it was more one of those where it is a catch 22 really and I thought that when I was typing it. Bachmann started doing more 66s when the Hattons one came along didn't they? It was about 1 per year (excluding exclusives) leading up to that announcement I think?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Hornby would consider issuing the LNER "Claud" and B12 in their original Great Eastern conditions.

1. GER livery is ravishing with its dark blue paintwork, abundant brass and copper-capped chimneys.

2. With their Gresley boilers they look to me more like LNER locos than GER ones.

3. This is subjective but to me both classes in Gresley guise look rather staid and old-maidish, whereas in GER form they seem rather rakish and continental - a foretaste of what might be encountered beyond Hook of Holland.

4. For lovers of the grotesque, the B12s could be issued as "Hikers" with feed water heater apparatus.

5. Deveopment costs would be reduced by use of existing chassis.

Great Eastern Railway (UK) - GER Class D56 4-4-0 steam locomotive Nr. 1855 (Stratford Works, 1904)

Claud Hamilton

1534 L'pool St 1915

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I wonder if Hornby would consider issuing the LNER "Claud" and B12 in their original Great Eastern conditions.

1. GER livery is ravishing with its dark blue paintwork, abundant brass and copper-capped chimneys.

2. With their Gresley boilers they look to me more like LNER locos than GER ones.

3. This is subjective but to me both classes in Gresley guise look rather staid and old-maidish, whereas in GER form they seem rather rakish and continental - a foretaste of what might be encountered beyond Hook of Holland.

4. For lovers of the grotesque, the B12s could be issued as "Hikers" with feed water heater apparatus.

5. Deveopment costs would be reduced by use of existing chassis.

:)

I am sure Accurascale are delighted to know what Hornby should do.

Edited by BR Blue
Grammar
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, TheDukeOfWellingtons said:

Having read through the entire thread I think this might be the first call for the Class 103 Park Royal DMU.  Please!

Very much agree with that, but........... 20 two car units painted green or blue with a service life of less than 25 years. Obviously not quite as simple as that because blue ones could either have the two character headcodes or the boxes plated over - more mould differences.  

Ironically the preserved ones carried more liveries, but who would model a windswept field in Bodfari in North Wales !!!

I would certainly have two green ones and maybe a blue one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mdvle said:

I guess that is straightforward, but how many modellers would be buying a 92 to start with ?

Certainly way out of my timeline, although I appreciate there are plenty of contemporary modellers out there. 

21 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Totally agree with the LOOK of the Bachmann 70, but it's way underweight, and cannot pull the skin off a treacle toffee (bit more than a rice pudding!) !

I think as things get ever-more representative - read realistic - that a Class 37, 40, 47 etc., shouldn't be able to haul more than a Class 70.

Work is required here.

The chassis needs to be considerably heavier - if possible to create a comparative traction advantage, which it should have as the real thing's an absolute beast!

Al.

:offtopic: I’m not disputing the haulage capacity of the model 70 but I’m sure you’re aware of the 70’s narrow bonnet design, which must surely limit the space available for a weighty chassis.

This is one of the main issues.  It's a very LONG locomotive, but relatively narrow as you say.

It's curious that the Class 25, at perhaps 2/3 the length, agreed full width, is quite a bit heavier, with space to spare.

I had a devil of a job inserting very little extra Pb, as pieces, into what space there is without disturbing cabling, etc.

I only added perhaps 25g to the weight.

In keeping with the prototypical weight and performance, and in comparison with the other Bachmann locomotives, I would 'expect' this to weigh at least 600g - hopefully without use of depleted Uranium!!

Al.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

:offtopic: I’m not disputing the haulage capacity of the model 70 but I’m sure you’re aware of the 70’s narrow bonnet design, which must surely limit the space available for a weighty chassis.

Yes, that can't help, but I expect that they also could still be heavier. They only weigh about half what a Hattons 66 does IIRC.

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

I guess that is straightforward, but how many modellers would be buying a 92 to start with ?

Certainly way out of my timeline, although I appreciate there are plenty of contemporary modellers out there. 

I expect there will be plenty, otherwise AS have made a big mistake?

They are almost 30 years old so have a larger operating period than a decent proportion of BR diesels that have been tooled. Area of operation isn't fantastic though, but they do run up and down the WCML daily now, and ECML occasionally with the sleepers.

• Like 1

I think a class 185 DMU would be a perfect addition to the Accurascale range.

The units have been around for a while now, have appeared in various liveries, and operate over a large area on both ECML/WCML over much of England and Scotland. 

The units would also go well with the Accurascale TPEx mk5s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They are almost 30 years old so have a larger operating period than a decent proportion of BR diesels that have been tooled. Area of operation isn't fantastic though, but they do run up and down the WCML daily now, and ECML occasionally with the sleepers.

Don't forget the 92 also works interesting freight (or has) on the stabiliser rail, not just under the coathanger, so actually have worked over quite a bit of the network, from Scotland to Kent.  About the only part of the knitted electric network they don't regularly traverse is Anglia, so theoretically there might be a slightly larger market for them - plus they have presence, a great noise and some rather nice names.  I can see them being a steady seller.

Hopefully enough to persuade our friends in Dublin to look at classes AL1-4!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I think a class 185 DMU would be a perfect addition to the Accurascale range.

The units have been around for a while now, have appeared in various liveries, and operate over a large area on both ECML/WCML over much of England and Scotland. 

The units would also go well with the Accurascale TPEx mk5s.

Also worth noting they operate in pairs a lot nowadays meaning doing 2 of each livery would probably generate decent sales from those who can handle 6 coach units on their tracks.

4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Don't forget the 92 also works interesting freight (or has) on the stabiliser rail, not just under the coathanger, so actually have worked over quite a bit of the network, from Scotland to Kent.  About the only part of the knitted electric network they don't regularly traverse is Anglia, so theoretically there might be a slightly larger market for them - plus they have presence, a great noise and some rather nice names.  I can see them being a steady seller.

Hopefully enough to persuade our friends in Dublin to look at classes AL1-4!

Plus the Class 80 in both its forms. Perhaps Rails and Heljan have those in mind.

On 31/08/2021 at 17:56, TheDukeOfWellingtons said:

Having read through the entire thread I think this might be the first call for the Class 103 Park Royal DMU.  Please!

I will also vote for this, in the original green please :-)

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Has anyone mentioned the class 70 yet ? .................... no, not the hideous modern imposter but the original Southern 'booster' locos. 

Good shout but more likely a Rails, Heljan or Kernow commission and any of those would all do a good job as would Accurascale.

I haven’t read every reply in this thread but dip in and out occasionally. Apart from a shout out for an 8F or Black 5, my impression is all the contributors seem to want diesel or electric and I wonder if that’s down to Accurascale’s history of modern image models. Let’s not forget they are dipping their toes into the pool that is GWR models with the Manor and my hope is for more GW or Southern models. I don’t have any Accurascale models but everyone seems very happy with quality, detail and to certain extent price so how about something to complement the Manor - Toplights or Ironclad coaches or maybe a cheeky U Class, County or Saint. Keep up the good work Accurascale as am looking forward to your exciting programme of development.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Has anyone mentioned the class 70 yet ? .................... no, not the hideous modern imposter but the original Southern 'booster' locos. 

Or the best of all 70 class, the UTA (later NIR)  DEMU.

• Like 1