More model ideas

9 hours ago, mdvle said:

But that assumes that the person in question has the skills and has the time - because time taken to learn that skill / do that job is time taken from some other (perhaps more enjoyable) part of the hobby.

And I think a lot of it also depends on what people want from the hobby.

I think we are all in different places inside a triangular shaped chart between "playing with trains", "modelling" and "electrics/DCC/automation", where I am very much towards playing with trains and electrics/DCC/automation but only slightly towards modelling. I don't bat an eyelid at messing about inside my locos with a soldering iron but I try to keep external changes to a minimum. Part of it is getting the time to learn it and the other is fear of damaging it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I was originally going to withhold taking this discussion further because of thread drift, but oh well…

On 09/09/2021 at 18:28, Monkersson said:

You cant cost your time/skill on improving your models unless someone else is doing it for you.  Surely its much better spending an hour doing it yourself to get what you want rather than waiting 3 years for a retooled version which may not live up to the hype?

It’s all well and good that you can’t cost your time in doing the upgrade, neither can I, but about 90% of users probably have to have someone else do it due to lack of skill. As Tom says, we all fit different categories. There is a reason these cottage producers are not larger…not everyone wants to, can do, or can justify doing these lighting upgrades. I still maintain changing the lighting on a model does not hike the price by circa £40; your quoted £20 and then whatever labour would be involved doing the mod. Look at Bachmann's 57/0, the price of that has rocketed due to new liveries being offered…no lighting upgrade in sight.

On 11/09/2021 at 09:59, dj_crisp said:

Anyhow totally agree that manufacturers can up their game on lighting. I think I've replaced all circuits on my locos now with probably only a hattons ews old style lights remaining (mind you that one benefits from allowing a touch more light by opening up the light cover slots a little). I've often thought a simple 10 function circuit board with prewired resistors connected to a 21pin socket would do well in the after market sense. It would save me loads of time! 

Totally agree Will, it comes down to what manufacturers have the desire to produce. I know for a fact that some involved in the Hattons shed project were driving for ultimate fidelity and functionality, with an attitude of 'I want to do this, how can I make it work' rather than 'this works, let’s stick with this', which arguably has been the blue and red teams' attitude towards lighting particularly for some time. Yes, Hattons' shed is not perfect, but the innovation it has offered has served as a benchmark for the future, showing us what is possible, with a few teething issues as it’s been the first of type. The lighting wasn’t perfect and neither were the axle boxes, but they were marked improvements over previous representations. Bachmann's pantograph on the 90 was noisy, but it was the first of type too. Accurascale's is far quieter, from hearing early samples.

I've no doubt this has been a wake up call to those slower manufacturers (we know which) who are being outdone by newcomers like Accurascale and others, who will hopefully bring their own innovations to the table and run with ideas from others.

Jack.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

Can I suggest some BR era ironstone hoppers, particularly the Diag. 1/160 ,1/162 and Diag 1/164?

There is nothing out there at all in RTR and there's not even a plastic kit. OK there is the Mainline/Dapol/Bachmann thing that looks like a 1/162 but has a body on a thick base that doesn't exist on the prototype and is a scale foot too long in wheelbase and overall length. But who wants to pay the money that Bachmann have the cheek to ask for that old piece of tat?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ruston said:

Can I suggest some BR era ironstone hoppers, particularly the Diag. 1/160 ,1/162 and Diag 1/164?

There is nothing out there at all in RTR and there's not even a plastic kit. OK there is the Mainline/Dapol/Bachmann thing that looks like a 1/162 but has a body on a thick base that doesn't exist on the prototype and is a scale foot too long in wheelbase and overall length. But who wants to pay the money that Bachmann have the cheek to ask for that old piece of tat?

110% agree Dave. I am assembling a rake of around 14 or 15 hoppers to recreate the Banbury-Bilston iron ore trains of the 1960s. I have a number of those "things" which are really just placeholders, and have just acquired three Peco/Parkside PC90s to go in the rake. Now if Accurascale could enhance the "Building Britain" theme by transporting iron ore from the Oxfordshire ironstone field to the Black Country blast furnaces that woulds be really great.  

• Like 1

Tremulously dipping my toe in. First time, be gentle.

On the basis that this is a wish list thread and freely admitting to being one of those who fits snugly into the ‘if it looks the part and is the only option available’ bag, then funds permitting combined with terminal impatience, I have repeatedly capitulated sooner or later and bought any R-T-R model that took my fancy, even if not top-spec. Still do. As me mam used to say when sensing my complete loss of appetite on being presented with a plate of liver & onions, ‘you’ll eat what you’re offered and (get this) be thankful for it. (I never saw her eat any mind you, portions were unusually generous on these occasions).

That said, over the last few years things have changed fast, very fast, and I wholeheartedly welcome the incredible range and spec of models now being provided by established and really exciting new manufacturers.

I’m a sucker for RTC stuff, complete push-over for prototypes and was born yesterday when it comes to livery variations. Hence I have to limit myself to nothing later than mid to late eighties, after that something way beyond madness reigns, Hell?

Any way here’s my list in no particular order but anything depending on OHLE to run = guaranteed pre-orders. I have no inkling whether any of it would tickle Accurascale’s fancy and yes it’s greedy, no I can’t afford it (unless released gradually over the rest of my lifetime), but so much of it’s niche and unlikely to come to fruition anyway where’s the harm in asking?

Re-worked class 31 / 40 / 50

HST-E: Power cars deffo, full set would be a right old Brucey bonus.

APT POP vehicles.

AC electric classes AL1 -4. Beg, grovel, any kind of humiliation you desire.

AL1: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue (body-side leaping salmon adornment later in life, a Motherwell thing?).

AL2: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue

AL3: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue & 83 012 stands-out because it received a version of InterCity livery whilst on empty carriage duties. Drool.

AL4: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue. ADB968021 (84 009) stands out because it received RTC Red / Blue and it travelled practically everywhere where there was knitting. More drool, think Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Class 303: Livery variations: Some shade of ’Caledonian’ light blue, BR Blue, BR Blue / Grey, Greater Glasgow Orange & Black.

Class AM4 / 304: Livery variations: Green on introduction / BR Blue & BR Blue /Grey – poss further later regional variations?

Class AM10 / 310: As built all over blue livery, small yellow warning panel (All? Hope not, I’d love an all-over blue jobby). Later received blue /grey livery. Poss further regional variations?

Park Royal DMU

Trans-Pennine DMU

Class 101: Re-worked full set. If not centre cars would do nicely but not to Accurascale spec cos it’d embarrass the driving cars, a sort of Accura / Railroad version.

Cartic-4

Newton Chambers covered car carriers.

Bullion coach

Manchester Pullman coaches full set

OHLE maintenance coaches

Breakdown train support carriages / tool vans etc. Seems such a shame to have the superb Ransomes & Rapier crane oh so lonely with no lovely Gulf Red supporting vehicles.

Mersey Railway / Merseyrail Classes 501, 502, 503, 507 & 508. More drool, this time it’s oceanic. For any of this lot you’ve got my miserable, cider-soaked old soul on a plate. Just name the time and I’ll be there at the crossroads. This is so niche that apart from the similarities across all builds of the 502/503 sets the only thing I can offer in support is that the vast majority of the track was over ground, both the Wirral and Liverpool services. There’s occasional interaction with BR lines on the Birkenhead side of the river from Green Lane – Rock Ferry (and subsequently to Chester) and also at Bidston. On the Liverpool side services ran from Exchange station but I confess to knowing nothing beyond that.

Class 502: Built at Derby by the LMS 1939-41 for the Liverpool to Southport / Ormskirk routes. Vehicles formed into 3-car and 2-car sets. 3 car sets formed as Motor Brake Second Open, Trailer Second Open, Driving Trailer Composite Open and 2-car sets formed as either Motor Brake Second Open-Trailer Second Open or Motor Brake Second Open-Trailer Composite Open. These formations meant that the 2-car sets only had a driving position at one end so had to be coupled to another set for public service. Usually this meant 3+2-car sets, unsure if ever worked as 2+2 car sets.

Interestingly they never received the modification to fit end doors on the driving cars required for working in underground tunnel sections, as per the Wirral class 503 units, but this didn’t prevent them being used for services on the short underground section from Moorfields to Sandhills when opened in 1977. Presumably this was because the 502s only worked services on the Liverpool side of the Mersey, not services to the Wirral. Or did they occasionally? More homework.

Livery variations: LMS Maroon, BR Green, all over BR blue, BR Blue / Grey.

Remained in service until 1981, replacement class 507 3-car sets introduced from 1978 & class 508 reduced to 3-car sets were transferred from the Southern Region between 1983-84.

Class 503: The first 19 sets were ordered (but not built by) the LMS in 1938 for services from Liverpool Central (low level), under the river Mersey to various destinations on the Wirral peninsula. Formed in 3-car sets: Motor Brake Second Open, Trailer Composite Open, Driving Trailer Second Open. In 1956/57 new stock was required so a further 24 sets plus 4 sets to replace stock damaged by enemy action in 1941 were built. From 1972 onwards alterations were made to fit end-doors on the driving cars. This was a Dept. of Transport requirement for stock used on lengthy tunnel sections. 

Remained in service until 1985, replacement class 507 3-car sets introduced from 1978 & class 508 reduced to 3-car sets were transferred from the Southern Region between 1983-84.

Class 507: 33 3-car sets built at BREL, York for the Merseyrail network, introduced from 1978. Sets forms as Battery Motor Brake Second, Trailer Second Open, Motor Brake Second.

Livery variations: BR Blue / Grey from new, Merseyrail variations thereafter.

Class 508: 43 4-car sets built @ BREL, York as a stop-gap for shortages / modernisation on the Southern Region, introduced from 1979. Sets formed as Driving Motor Second, Trailer Second x 2 & Driving Motor Second. Two units 508 042/043 transferred to Merseyrail in Nov ‘81 & reduced to 3-car units, the rest following between Feb ‘83 & Dec ’84.

Livery variations: BR Blue / Grey from new up to & after transfer to Merseyrail, thereafter Merseyrail variations.

If you’ve bothered /managed to get through that lot then what could be finer to round off with than a nice apple-y tipple and a good old sing-song. Perhaps you’ve been driven to it. Either way, all together now…I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day ……

Jonesy

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Merseycider said:

Good suggestions - additionally the HST (and assorted non-HST Mk3 coaches) are all needing a quality up to date retool by someone.

1 hour ago, Merseycider said:

Cartic-4

This has been announced by Revolution Trains in the last several days so you will want to check them out - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/167437-revolution-trains-announce-cartic-4-car-carriers-in-oo-gauge/

Edited by mdvle
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Merseycider said:

AL1: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue (body-side leaping salmon adornment later in life, a Motherwell thing?).

AL3: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue & 83 012 stands-out because it received a version of InterCity livery whilst on empty carriage duties. Drool.

AL4: Liveries: Electric Blue, BR Blue. ADB968021 (84 009) stands out because it received RTC Red / Blue and it travelled practically everywhere where there was knitting. More drool, think Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Class 303: Livery variations: Some shade of ’Caledonian’ light blue, BR Blue, BR Blue / Grey, Greater Glasgow Orange & Black.

Class AM4 / 304: Livery variations: Green on introduction / BR Blue & BR Blue /Grey – poss further later regional variations?

Class AM10 / 310: As built all over blue livery, small yellow warning panel (All? Hope not, I’d love an all-over blue jobby). Later received blue /grey livery. Poss further regional variations?

Ditto for all of these!! Would certainly love to see an AM4 particularly. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Merseycider said:

......  similarities across all builds of the 502/503 sets .....

Yes there were similarities - but also significant differences. Not only were the Southport type very much longer, they were significantly wider, too, so there'd be little chance  of using any of the same moulds ...... not to mention different bogies and fittings.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Merseycider said:

......  similarities across all builds of the 502/503 sets .....

7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes there were similarities - but also significant differences. Not only were the Southport type very much longer, they were significantly wider, too, so there'd be little chance  of using any of the same moulds ...... not to mention different bogies and fittings.

Good afternoon Wickham Green too.

Thanks for the input. Disappointing, but only in the context of what in reality is pure R-T-R fantasy. Being a Wirral lad I don't recall ever having travelled on a 502 and only encountered them on very rare visits (think sunshine in Manchester) to Exchange station to garner numbers for my combined volume. Why bother with units when Lime Street had the real beasts eh?  Simplistically I assumed they were like-for-like bar various detail differences with ventilators, push button operated doors, bodyside banding, experimental window fitting, nothing too serious. Obviously with such significant dimensional differences the 502 & 503 R-T-R fantasy was always fatally flawed. 

But wait, forget the 502s just do the 503s, only 3 cars after all. Now they did work the Liverpool routes so case closed. Now what to choose. LMS maroon, green, all-over blue and blue/grey, so just 1 x 3-car in LMS maroon, have to have at least 2 x 3 car sets in the other liveries so that's 7 sales right off. Possibly a couple more depending on half yellow panels. It's goer surely, only need to find another 3,000 fools like me. What front end mods?

Time to cheer up, now what would help I wonder? A glass of perry? No chance, that's straight from Satan's bladder, just imagine how warm that would be. Of course it can only be a lovely apple-y tipple. All together now…'I am a cider drinker....'

Jonesy

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Merseycider said:

Tremulously dipping my toe in. First time, be gentle.

On the basis that this is a wish list thread and freely admitting to being one of those who fits snugly into the ‘if it looks the part and is the only option available’ bag, then funds permitting combined with terminal impatience, I have repeatedly capitulated sooner or later and bought any R-T-R model that took my fancy, even if not top-spec. Still do. As me mam used to say when sensing my complete loss of appetite on being presented with a plate of liver & onions, ‘you’ll eat what you’re offered and (get this) be thankful for it. (I never saw her eat any mind you, portions were unusually generous on these occasions).

That said, over the last few years things have changed fast, very fast, and I wholeheartedly welcome the incredible range and spec of models now being provided by established and really exciting new manufacturers.

I’m a sucker for RTC stuff, complete push-over for prototypes and was born yesterday when it comes to livery variations. Hence I have to limit myself to nothing later than mid to late eighties, after that something way beyond madness reigns, Hell?

Any way here’s my list in no particular order but anything depending on OHLE to run = guaranteed pre-orders. I have no inkling whether any of it would tickle Accurascale’s fancy and yes it’s greedy, no I can’t afford it (unless released gradually over the rest of my lifetime), but so much of it’s niche and unlikely to come to fruition anyway where’s the harm in asking?

APT POP vehicles.

Park Royal DMU

Trans-Pennine DMU

Class 101: Re-worked full set. If not centre cars would do nicely but not to Accurascale spec cos it’d embarrass the driving cars, a sort of Accura / Railroad version.

Cartic-4

Newton Chambers covered car carriers.

Bullion coach

Manchester Pullman coaches full set

OHLE maintenance coaches

Breakdown train support carriages / tool vans etc. Seems such a shame to have the superb Ransomes & Rapier crane oh so lonely with no lovely Gulf Red supporting vehicles.

Mersey Railway / Merseyrail Classes 501, 502, 503, 507 & 508. More drool, this time it’s oceanic. For any of this lot you’ve got my miserable, cider-soaked old soul on a plate. Just name the time and I’ll be there at the crossroads. This is so niche that apart from the similarities across all builds of the 502/503 sets the only thing I can offer in support is that the vast majority of the track was over ground, both the Wirral and Liverpool services. There’s occasional interaction with BR lines on the Birkenhead side of the river from Green Lane – Rock Ferry (and subsequently to Chester) and also at Bidston. On the Liverpool side services ran from Exchange station but I confess to knowing nothing beyond that.

Class 502: Built at Derby by the LMS 1939-41 for the Liverpool to Southport / Ormskirk routes. Vehicles formed into 3-car and 2-car sets. 3 car sets formed as Motor Brake Second Open, Trailer Second Open, Driving Trailer Composite Open and 2-car sets formed as either Motor Brake Second Open-Trailer Second Open or Motor Brake Second Open-Trailer Composite Open. These formations meant that the 2-car sets only had a driving position at one end so had to be coupled to another set for public service. Usually this meant 3+2-car sets, unsure if ever worked as 2+2 car sets.

Interestingly they never received the modification to fit end doors on the driving cars required for working in underground tunnel sections, as per the Wirral class 503 units, but this didn’t prevent them being used for services on the short underground section from Moorfields to Sandhills when opened in 1977. Presumably this was because the 502s only worked services on the Liverpool side of the Mersey, not services to the Wirral. Or did they occasionally? More homework.

Remained in service until 1981, replacement class 507 3-car sets introduced from 1978 & class 508 reduced to 3-car sets were transferred from the Southern Region between 1983-84.

Class 503: The first 19 sets were ordered (but not built by) the LMS in 1938 for services from Liverpool Central (low level), under the river Mersey to various destinations on the Wirral peninsula. Formed in 3-car sets: Motor Brake Second Open, Trailer Composite Open, Driving Trailer Second Open. In 1956/57 new stock was required so a further 24 sets plus 4 sets to replace stock damaged by enemy action in 1941 were built. From 1972 onwards alterations were made to fit end-doors on the driving cars. This was a Dept. of Transport requirement for stock used on lengthy tunnel sections. 

Remained in service until 1985, replacement class 507 3-car sets introduced from 1978 & class 508 reduced to 3-car sets were transferred from the Southern Region between 1983-84.

Class 507: 33 3-car sets built at BREL, York for the Merseyrail network, introduced from 1978. Sets forms as Battery Motor Brake Second, Trailer Second Open, Motor Brake Second.

Livery variations: BR Blue / Grey from new, Merseyrail variations thereafter.

Class 508: 43 4-car sets built @ BREL, York as a stop-gap for shortages / modernisation on the Southern Region, introduced from 1979. Sets formed as Driving Motor Second, Trailer Second x 2 & Driving Motor Second. Two units 508 042/043 transferred to Merseyrail in Nov ‘81 & reduced to 3-car units, the rest following between Feb ‘83 & Dec ’84.

Livery variations: BR Blue / Grey from new up to & after transfer to Merseyrail, thereafter Merseyrail variations.

If you’ve bothered /managed to get through that lot then what could be finer to round off with than a nice apple-y tipple and a good old sing-song. Perhaps you’ve been driven to it. Either way, all together now…I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day ……

Jonesy

There will be some livery variations for the Classes 81-84 in Electric Blue whether they had no yellow end or a small yellow end. The leaping salmon on Class 81s was from when they were allocated to Shields Road Depot, Glasgow - both they and Motherwell depot used the leaping salmon on main line locos.

The Class 303s would also have the option of GMPTE Orange and Brown as well as the liveries you'd listed for unrefurbished examples. For refurbished units there would be Strathclyde PTE Orange and Black, SPTE branding on the same livery then Carmine and Cream.

The Bullion Mk1s are a good shout and I'd also suggest the Courier vans (e.g.

Something for the weekend

- Mk1 BSKs with a compartment left and a roller shutter fitted but they're possibly better directed towards Bachmann with their Mk1 family. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately any manufacturer making a Class 507 or 508 has probably missed the boat. Especially all the "special" liveries such as The Beatles, Capital Of Culture and the football club ones (Bob Paisley and Dixie Dean). I reckon a few years ago they would have sold well to tourists. Even if they were just put on a plinth as a shelf ornament.

Not to mention the ones that were Down South in other liveries. Then you could have done the 313/314/315 as a spin off.

For those that aren't familiar with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_507

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_508

They are now in a terrible condition waiting for a trip to the scrapyard. Shabby and with a total lack of maintenance.  :(

Jason

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, GordonC said:

The Bullion Mk1s are a good shout and I'd also suggest the Courier vans (e.g.

Something for the weekend

- Mk1 BSKs with a compartment left and a roller shutter fitted but they're possibly better directed towards Bachmann with their Mk1 family. 

I’d really like to see Accurascale or even Bachmann to do the Courier vehicle as I feel it’s one of “missing” Mk1’s.  Unfortunately they didn’t seem to have a long history on BR but they are certainly used as support vehicles for mainline registered steam locomotives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

There will be some livery variations for the Classes 81-84 in Electric Blue whether they had no yellow end or a small yellow end. The leaping salmon on Class 81s was from when they were allocated to Shields Road Depot, Glasgow - both they and Motherwell depot used the leaping salmon on main line locos.

The Class 303s would also have the option of GMPTE Orange and Brown as well as the liveries you'd listed for unrefurbished examples. For refurbished units there would be Strathclyde PTE Orange and Black, SPTE branding on the same livery then Carmine and Cream.

Hello Gordon.

Thanks for the above on livery variations. By coincidence I stumbled across the below post earlier today on the 'Prototype for everything corner' thread (sorry I've yet to fathom how to insert a link): Modelling Zone, Prototype, UK Prototype Discussions (not questions!), Prototype for everything corner.

I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to bother with such minor variations but he's highlighted something that's been nagging at me too, although I do like livery differences. Meantime it's something to add to my list of jobs I'll never have the bottle to do. 

Jonesy

On 09/07/2021 at 20:52, Jeremy C said:

I always thought 84s were ugly, but that one with its monocle and robot dots really takes the biscuit.

I never understood why they painted the 83s and 84s different from the other electrics. The 83 livery wasn't too bad, but on the 84 the angles are all over the place; the eye (well, my eye at any rate) wants the yellow paint edge to be either parallel to the opposite side (more or less acheived in the 83) or vertical (81, 82 and 85). The handrails don't help.

I have no idea how many 83s eventually got an 85 paint job, but here's one:

83001 Euston 27th August 1982

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not to mention the ones that were Down South in other liveries. Then you could have done the 313/314/315 as a spin off.

What's the status of the RevolutioN 313/314?  I would have thought that a much more likely basis for a 00 model, with DC units perhaps following.

21 hours ago, Merseycider said:

But wait, forget the 5023s just do the 5032s,

Fixed your obvious typo, thank me later ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

On 06/10/2021 at 16:38, Merseycider said:

But wait, forget the 5023s just do the 5032s,

Fixed your obvious typo, thank me later ;)

Chortle. Since they're both the most handsome EMU design, LMS of course, and stand imperious above all pretenders, I'll agree to differ agree with you. Will somebody just make one.

Jonesy

Not sufficiently clued up on the whole BR AM4 / AM5 / AM7 / AM8 series of multiple units.  They all look as they they have a lose family bond, adding in the Bury class 504s of course. Us on the WCML spectrum clearly desperately need the four car AM4 which could carry

Lined green

BFYE

BFYE wraparound

Blue and grey

Regional railways light blue stripe

Not sure if any were BSYP

There is of course the subtle difference between the first fifteen (001-015) which had two little windows between each door, and the 016-045 which had a single pane.  Additionally 001-015 had full compartments in the motor coach until rebuilt with the awful red seating. IIRC the compartment nearest the brakevan was also painted or panelled over in the motor coach.  All the AM4s lost their composite trailer too.

So how different were the 305s and 308s ? The three car 308s were refurbished of course with much brighter lighting, and I have no ideas what they were like prior to the refurb. I am assuming they received inter car gangways at refurbishment. They also seemed to received the aluminium window frames.  The 308s received Regional Railways and WYPTE red liveries and wore these during their brief spell in the West Midlands covering for troublesome 323s on the newly electrified Lichfield-Longbridge services.     

Not sure the four car class 305s which were rehomed to the Manchester area were all refurbished.  ISTR some class 305s and 308s had additional white marker lights on the noses after refurbishment. Are the bodyshells of 304, 305, 307 and 308 similar enough ? Obviously the 302s had vertical flat cabs like the 302s

It is a great opportunity for an EMU family but the manufacturer would need very deep pockets to start the project off. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Us on the WCML spectrum clearly desperately need the four car AM4 which could carry

Lined green

BFYE

BFYE wraparound

Blue and grey

Regional railways light blue stripe

There is of course the subtle difference between the first fifteen (001-015) which had two little windows between each door, and the 016-045 which had a single pane.  Additionally 001-015 had full compartments in the motor coach until rebuilt with the awful red seating. IIRC the compartment nearest the brakevan was also painted or panelled over in the motor coach.  All the AM4s lost their composite trailer too.

Apparently not just WCML. Although predominantly based in the northern section of the LMR, according to Colin J. Marsden’s ace book ‘100 Years of Electric Traction’ (pub 1985, OPC, ISBN 0-86093-325-3), they have been noted on several occasions in the London division, alas no further details provided. More interestingly he also adds that unit nos 016-023 went on loan to the Eastern Region. ‘When these sets were completed, the Eastern Region were short of units on the Liverpool St. to Shenfield / Southend route due to their stock receiving conversion to a.c. operation. To overcome the shortage, the LMR sets were loaned to Ilford’. Again no further info provided. I've yet to stumble across any pics, more homework.

Jonesy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2021 at 23:34, Covkid said:

Us on the WCML spectrum clearly desperately need the four car AM4 which could carry

Lined green

BFYE

At least 007/015/038 got BSYP at the start of the Rail Blue era.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1