More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just imagine what a 57XX pannier tank would look like in their hands?

Surely it would look like any other pannier tank?

:D

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

35 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Surely it would look like any other pannier tank?

They could do one in bright yellow, if that made you happy! ;)

(Dunno who else would buy such an abomination, though).

27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I so nearly posted exactly that last night - but decided I was not that cruel!

You non-GW and non-kettle types can say what you like, but I remain convinced that the Ultimate Pannier tank could be lurking out there, somewhere in the minds of the Accurascale Forward Planning Department!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Modelling the AM2 / class 302 to AM8 / Class 308 + 503 as one block isn't possible.

The class 307 were based on a Southern DC unit, same bogies, bodies etc. Do you model the 1956 DC layout; the 1960 AC layout of the refurbished layout with B5 bogies? All very different!

Then there was the Class 302 with Gresley bogies, different underframes and varied bodysides, plus larger front windows. Do you model original or refurbished with B5 bogies?

Then there's the Class 304. 001-15 wee like a 302 but with a sloping front, but then from 016 pairs of windows became double sized windows.

The class 305 3-cars followed the late class 304s and the 4-car units followed the early 304s and again original or refurbished format? And what about the oddball 3-car conversions to 4 cars with class 302 trailers?

The class 308s are even worse. The 133-165 batch followed the 305.501+ batch style, the 453-455 batch followed the 305 3-car style and the 313-21 batch had a MLV, some of which were converted to unique coaches and again, original or refurbished?

That's 15 versions of just the AC unit! The class 503s were quite unique as were the class 501s

Maybe lets stick to a class 303 (2 versions) or 309 (9 versions at GEML) plus more later

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You non-GW and non-kettle types can say what you like, but I remain convinced that the Ultimate Pannier tank could be lurking out there, somewhere in the minds of the Accurascale Forward Planning Department!

We are only jesting with you - I do think a top-notch Pannier would sell well and that it is only a matter of time before somebody does one.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What is this obsession with churning out ever-so-slightly more detailed versions of the same old stuff?  Steam modellers need locos that haven’t been done before. DE modellers need units that haven’t been done before.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Downer said:

What is this obsession with churning out ever-so-slightly more detailed versions of the same old stuff?  Steam modellers need locos that haven’t been done before. DE modellers need units that haven’t been done before.

Because "Certain" models made by a certain manufacturer are well past it detail and mechanism wise and need to be updated.

After all, that is still the plan at Hornby, which is upgrades of existing models, some of which have already been done like the Duchess, Princess, King and Coronation Pacifics.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Downer said:

Black 5 Bear puts the case well.

Also, by doing a Manor as their first steam outline loco, Accurascale themselves are churning out another version of the same old stuff, only in their case it will not be 'ever-so-slightly' more detailed but a lot more detailed.

They clearly think it's commercially worthwhile and judging by the response on RMWeb, so do a lot of other folk.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Black 5 Bear puts the case well.

Also, by doing a Manor as their first steam outline loco, Accurascale themselves are churning out another version of the same old stuff, only in their case it will not be 'ever-so-slightly' more detailed but a lot more detailed.

They clearly think it's commercially worthwhile and judging by the response on RMWeb, so do a lot of other folk.

And it will demonstrate their skills but perhaps it is time for some new models, although who knows what Rapido may also turn out and perhaps these are more their niche:

• Metrotank
  • 517 class
  • 3232 class
  • 2221 class
  • Like 3

Hello, 

I would agree about the need for more units being made - but I can also see the difficulty in finding those that will sell well. I would really like a 185 but although seen use over a wide area it’s limited to a couple of liveries and it’s length etc doesn’t help it’s case for using parts/chassis on other projects.

The 175 is more practical and the 180 can be done too. The others that I would like are

397’s 

Thanks

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Because "Certain" models made by a certain manufacturer are well past it detail and mechanism wise and need to be updated.

After all, that is still the plan at Hornby, which is upgrades of existing models, some of which have already been done like the Duchess, Princess, King and Coronation Pacifics.

That may be Hornby's plan, but is it a good one?  The continuing flirtations with bankruptcy over the last few years might suggest otherwise.  

As for 'certain' models, you would have to be more specific.  I'm not at all sure, for example, that people are so dissatisfied with the current Black 5 that they'd rather have an upgrade than something new and different.  I would not. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Downer said:

That may be Hornby's plan, but is it a good one?  The continuing flirtations with bankruptcy over the last few years might suggest otherwise.  

As for 'certain' models, you would have to be more specific.  I'm not at all sure, for example, that people are so dissatisfied with the current Black 5 that they'd rather have an upgrade than something new and different.  I would not. 

"Certain Models" being the Hornby Stanier Black 5, 8F, Rebuilt Merchant Navy to start with.

Any upgrades to these model would infact be most welcome and IMHO sell very well.

At the end of day, each to their own !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And it will demonstrate their skills but perhaps it is time for some new models, although who knows what Rapido may also turn out and perhaps these are more their niche:

• Metrotank
  • 517 class
  • 3232 class
  • 2221 class

Actually, some of these make a lot of sense.

2 hours ago, ndg910 said:

- 1101 class dock tank

I'd definitely buy one of these!

• Like 1

I certainly agree that people would like to see a nice fancy new Black 5, myself included. Hornby's retools of their older models seem to have certainly sold well too! 

Personally I'd love to see some more WCML traction come to market. The AM10/Class 310 seems right up Accurascale's lane, especially seeing as the AM10 is based on the MK2 design (Albeit the original design, not the mk2b). They'd have my wallet in tears if they did an original blue small yellow panel model!

They couldn't go wrong though doing a well detailed black 5 or 8f, despite it being another duplication I think Hornby's tooling's for those particular models are dated enough that people would be after better looking and performing models, particularly with DCC features - surely the days of the 8-pin socket should be long gone by this point!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

the 180 can be done too

I agree. Loads of liveries and have been quite a lot of places really.

6 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

397’s 

195 definitely for me. 397 wrong side of the country but would look cool.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Downer said:

DE modellers need units that haven’t been done before.

TBH even some units that have already been done are asking for it again I think. 170 and 220/221 seem to be hot property in the right liveries (XC and ScotRail) despite not being DCC ready. I know Bachmann were on with the 170 but seems to have gone quiet.

• Like 1