More model ideas

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

Niche models have been seen, IMHO, to damage the sales of staple engines, particularly if you look at the Southern region.

I think the thing is that models can often be regarded as niche due to their numbers in real life, but I think it is pretty much fact that interest levels from rail enthusiasts is generally inversely proportional to that, and therefore when modelling probably quite an even spectrum due to the balance between what is interesting and what is realistic. I.e. a station with HST prototype, a couple of APT-P and the APT-E sat there would not paint a realistic picture regardless of the modelling around it (unless targeting a specific moment in time where these may have been together), whereas if it was one of those models with production HSTs, 87s, whatever alongside then it maybe would do whilst still not being representative of the actual demographic of the trains in real life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 20/10/2021 at 14:26, wombatofludham said:

I'd argue that the 310 is probably a simpler project to tool up for than the 304-8 family which would require a "Swiss Army knife" moulding suite - even the 304s had two different pantograph well lengths for example - as, if we exclude the two units which ended up with differing driving trailer designs after accident damage repairs, the AM10-310 has fewer design changes, the most obvious being the two different types of cab windows, less obvious the lack of gangway between the trailer second and motor brake second prior to refurbishment, and of course spotlights on the front.  Clearly these minor changes are well within the capability of modern toolings.  In terms of liveries, you have (with curved windscreens) original "flat" blue with the yellow bib within the jumper housing, later gloss blue with half depth wrap round yellow panel, a few ran with full height yellow panels which wrapped round onto the cab doors, "normal" gloss blue with full yellow ends, blue grey, blue grey with NSE branding, and even one unit which retained original curved windscreens with full curved swoop NSE livery.  With flat windscreens and full gangways, Network Southeast (pale and darker blue, with different route brandings), Provincial "Sprinter" livery, "Midline" livery and Regional Railways.  That's quite a parade of loveliness to swoon over and probably offers some useful potential retailer commissions.

That was a party political broadcast for the Make an AM10 Now! Party.

One final point about the AM10 / 310 is another livery option if it tipped the production opportunity.  The Hitachi Verification Train was a Class 310 EMU kitted out with Hitachi recording equipment which traipsed around a lot of the 25kV lines in the Network Southeast region. Known as the "V Train".     

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2021 at 12:58, SteamingWales said:

Going to throw my suggestion into the mix as I haven't seen it mentioned before:

The GWR 2251 "Collett Goods"

The Bachmann version was first produced in 1997 and derived from the old Mainline tooling (correct me if I'm wrong)

It was a totally new model.

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Given the underframe has already been used for the Coil A and the MDV, how about the Shockhood B? 300 examples built; initially confined to South Wales, but soon found nationwide. When displaced by air-braked stock, many went to the Civil Engineers as 'Dace' ballast/ spoil wagons.

Having skimmed through the recent Traction magazine with around a dozen photos of Coil As in Hampshire, Wiltshire and around STJ I am still convinced Accurascale need the bogie version in their catalogue.  a distinctive short wagon in several liveries.  What is not to like ?

Four of em behind a 37 - pukka Accurascale train set that is

Poole Port Freight - UK Prototype Questions - RMweb

• Like 1

I know ‘duplication’ can be a dirty word in model railways, but to be honest I’m all for it if it means we get models to the standards the Accurascale guys are producing!

Not only are the models great but reasonably priced too.

In a totally selfish request I’d like to see 08, 20, 31, 47 and HST from them! Along with Mk1s and a full range of Mk2s.

It’s not just the models, they really get how to communicate with their target market and it’s no wonder they have won Manufacturer of the Year!

I think they may be the equivalent of Ant & Dec at the TV awards - ie they should win it every year!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, atom3624 said:

I'm just wondering what an AccuraScale rebuilt Merchant Navy would be like ... just a thought!

Hornby's is excellent, but falling behind the times ...

Al.

Fast forward about 20 years....

"I wonder what a new entrant to the model railway market XXXX will be, because Accurascale's is falling behind the times".

Probably not in my sane lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Global said:

I know ‘duplication’ can be a dirty word in model railways, but to be honest I’m all for it if it means we get models to the standards the Accurascale guys are producing!

In a totally selfish request I’d like to see 08, 20, 31, 47 and HST from them! Along with Mk1s and a full range of Mk2s.

It’s not just the models, they really get how to communicate with their target market and it’s no wonder they have won Manufacturer of the Year!

I think they may be the equivalent of Ant & Dec at the TV awards - ie they should win it every year!! 

I think Accurascale could probably sue you for comparing them to Ant and Dec.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I'm just wondering what an AccuraScale rebuilt Merchant Navy would be like ... just a thought!

Hornby's is excellent, but falling behind the times ...

Al.

Nothing like the Hornby product that's for sure.

The current R/B Merchant Navy, Stanier 8F and the Black Five are all low hanging fruit for Accurascale.

Personally, although not a WR modeller, I'm really looking forward to receiving their new Manor class whenever it arrives.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Nothing like the Hornby product that's for sure.

The current R/B Merchant Navy, Stanier 8F and the Black Five are all low hanging fruit for Accurascale.

Personally, although not a WR modeller, I'm really looking forward to receiving their new Manor class whenever it arrives.

All of the above plus an Air Smoothed West Country/BoB. Out of region for me but its an iconic class and I’d have one for ‘specials’. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Global said:

In a totally selfish request I’d like to see 08, 20, 31, 47 and HST from them!

I think the 31 and HST could be argued as a good case, neither from Hornby are spot on, lack DCC features and despite a HST needing coaches tooling too there are loads of liveries and pretty much anybody basing their layouts on the last 40 years could argue the case for one. Whether everyone already has all the HSTs they want is another matter altogether. I'd also like to see AS's dedication to specific tooling applied to the NMT, although I aren't holding my breath.

08 I think whilst there are 2 good examples out there, neither have lighting but also how popular is an 08 at well over £100? In the right livery I'd probably bite though.

20 and 47 have just been done by Bachmann, and Heljan have a 47 on the way too so I think those would be an unnecessary fight!

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Global said:

To be fair, I'd suggest the Cavalex guys are well up there too, the only difference between the two is the volume of new models being produced by Accurascale compared to Cavalex. If I had a sample model from both side by side I'd personally struggle to pick which is a 'better' model.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, GordonC said:

To be fair, I'd suggest the Cavalex guys are well up there too, the only difference between the two is the volume of new models being produced by Accurascale compared to Cavalex. If I had a sample model from both side by side I'd personally struggle to pick which is a 'better' model.

Hi Gordon,

I don’t think anyone is disputing that Cavalex make fine models, it’s just ideas kicked around to suggest to us. Not that we read the thread, at all, or take any of the ideas on board ever…..

Oops! (Think I got away with it!) 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1