More model ideas

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here but with the range of options Accurascale give us when launching a new model, the iconic HST surely must be up there.  From the prototype power cars, original production build, buffer fitted and later re-engined versions, the different buffet and restaurant cars and not to mention the huge range of liveries.  Like the Class 37's, they could keep churning them out and never run out of ideas for them.

Anything that hasn't been done before. There are loads of steam-era locos, carriages and trucks that have never been available RTR. Really obvious stuff like the GER J69 tank, the SR U class, the LMS 7F 0-8-0, plus lots of First Generation DMUs and EMUs, or even modern units for those of us who aren't drawing their pensions yet. It's new stuff that will persuade me to open my wallet, not yet another version of a Class 47, IC125, etc.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here but with the range of options Accurascale give us when launching a new model, the iconic HST surely must be up there.  

Err - yes, many times.

Just search HST in this topic......

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Err - yes, many times.

Just search HST in this topic......

Okay but it doesn't do any harm to bring it back to the top of the suggestion pile.

5 hours ago, phil gollin said:

....  a top class BR 16 ton mineral wagon and ventilated van would sell in large numbers, even with relatively few livery variations..

Maybe not many livery variations - but more than enough body & chassis variants to keep everyone in the trade busy for years ! ( minerals in particular

• Funny 1

Still think modern could be the way for Accurascale.

I mean, look at the hype from the 92 and MK5 coaches.

The current HST (as in, super detailed) is good enough for now.

There are many more steam trains compared with post 1995 units and there's quite a few variations around now with liveries and such.  But perhaps that's the nightmare with licensing compared with a plan black lump of a loco.

Not huge differences between some units (thinking the Electrostar sets) and even the 165/166/465/466.

Leave the Turbostars to Bachmann as they're likely to make a good job of them, but could look at super new units like the Aventra units - quite a few around these days.

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

A large part of that hype (whether it be the Accurascale products or others) is not just that they are sometimes tackling prototypes or eras ignored by others, but also that they are producing good looking detailed models - but that has a side effect of showing the limitations of some older models on a layout...

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Sadly, not really - while many might think the power cars are okay (though others won't) the Mk3 coaches really aren't suitable for a layout featuring products of the quality that Accurascale, Cavalex, Rapido, and others are providing.  Not only are they not up to modern standards, but the full variety of prototypes aren't available

And of course the added advantage of a quality HST is despite the high costs of tooling the variations it like say the Class 47 should sell well for a number of years yet.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:38, mdvle said:

.... the Mk3 coaches really aren't suitable for a layout featuring products of the quality that Accurascale, Cavalex, Rapido, and others are providing.  Not only are they not up to modern standards, but the full variety of prototypes aren't available ...

I have no doubt Accurascale have MkIIIs on their To Do ( sometime ) List : - 

1984_15bx.jpg.3dbf71c318e5418202e33aae3539af25.jpg

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Sadly, not really - while many might think the power cars are okay (though others won't) the Mk3 coaches really aren't suitable for a layout featuring products of the quality that Accurascale, Cavalex, Rapido, and others are providing.  Not only are they not up to modern standards, but the full variety of prototypes aren't available

And of course the added advantage of a quality HST is despite the high costs of tooling the variations it like say the Class 47 should sell well for a number of years yet.

Exactly. The power cars are OK at best for the money IMO, lacking any DCC features, guards area open for everyone to see how it isn't detailed at all and I think the top of the windscreens aren't right. The MK3s are only represented well at the moment by the SD versions, whereas somebody taking them on now could tool for loco hauled too which is a double whammy IMO.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Not huge differences between some units (thinking the Electrostar sets) and even the 165/166/465/466.

Leave the Turbostars to Bachmann as they're likely to make a good job of them, but could look at super new units like the Aventra units - quite a few around these days

It amazes me that Electrostar has not been done by any of the mainstream RTR manufacturers. They are everywhere in the south.

Bachmann are supposedly doing new Turbostars but we wont know until they reannounce them whether it has been canned or just going along in the background.

Aventra and Civity I thought would be good targets because of multiple users already on what are very similar units.

• Agree 2

On 19/10/2021 at 13:23, Downer said:

DE modellers need units that haven’t been done before.

A TPEx class 185 would be perfect for Accurascale.

It would fit well within their range of mk5s, 37s, 92s etc. They cover a large area of England and Scotland. Although it's only had a few different liveries, I suspect we may see more liveries/ operators of the 185 in the future.

• Agree 1

I have a lot of 37s. In a time when the market was less crowded than now and most diesel classes were covered, I started to take an interest in subclasses. So when a 36/6 was offered, it drew my beady eye.

Some years ago, Kernow commissioned a 37/9. If I recall correctly, these were machines in which new engines were tried. Kernow went for the Ruston version, I suspect because the roof needed less modification. There were two Ruston powered 37/9s but four with Mirrlees engines. A Mirrlees 37/9 would attract my other beady eye.

Below are the roofs of a 37/9 (left) and a 37/0.

37-9 & 37-0.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From the Accurascale press release 'Chaldrons seemed the perfect place to begin the timeline for our “Powering Britain” series of coal wagons through the ages.'

I'd have thought that the next step would be the NER 20T wooden hopper. OK so there's the Slaters kit, but it would fit with the chaldrons and like them can span from pre-group through to BR days. I seem to remember there was some interest in this when there was speculation about what Hornby might come up with last year.

Edited by Neil
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

From the Accurascale press release 'Chaldrons seemed the perfect place to begin the timeline for our “Powering Britain” series of coal wagons through the ages.'

I'd have thought that the next step would be the NER 20T wooden hopper. OK so there's the Slaters kit, but it would fit with the chaldrons and like them can span from pre-group through to BR days. I seem to remember there was some interest in this when speculation what Hornby might come up with last year.

All of which would suggest the next steam locomotive Accurascale should produce should be something from the NER.

Or of course they zoom forwards and it's 16T minerals next...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd have thought that the next step would be the NER 20T wooden hopper. OK so there's the Slaters kit, but it would fit with the chaldrons and like them can span from pre-group through to BR days. I seem to remember there was some interest in this when speculation what Hornby might come up with last year.

I'd jump at that. Although my hope for a follow-up to the Cauldrons was more along the lines of some suitably 19th-century motive power. Locomotion No.1? Derwent? S&D / NER Long Boiler? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I have a lot of 37s. In a time when the market was less crowded than now and most diesel classes were covered, I started to take an interest in subclasses. So when a 36/6 was offered, it drew my beady eye.

Some years ago, Kernow commissioned a 37/9. If I recall correctly, these were machines in which new engines were tried. Kernow went for the Ruston version, I suspect because the roof needed less modification. There were two Ruston powered 37/9s but four with Mirrlees engines. A Mirrlees 37/9 would attract my other beady eye.

Below are the roofs of a 37/9 (left) and a 37/0.

37-9 & 37-0.jpg

Kernow produced the models in their as preserved state. The roof of both 905 and 906 changed quite a bit over time. I cancelled my order and did my own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I think enough time has gone by to make another suggestion. A bit out of left field and I doubt if it has been suggested before, at least not in the last twenty minutes, but what about a HST?

I am laughing as I presume that's meant as a joke given it's already spoken about on the page you commented on!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I haven't suggested an 80 Class DEMU for at least a week.  It's like an HST but less pointy, with more seats in the power car and a lower top speed.  

Otherwise identical.

If a Kent based company did it - quite probably.....

• Funny 5

22 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

There are many more steam trains compared with post 1995 units and there's quite a few variations around now with liveries and such.  But perhaps that's the nightmare with licensing compared with a plan black lump of a loco.

Leave the Turbostars to Bachmann as they're likely to make a good job of them, but could look at super new units like the Aventra units - quite a few around these days.

On the contrary,  I suggest the full gamut is open to Accurascale, right from Geo Stephenson to HS2. I am tempted by a Manor and may go for a green 37 when an appropriate green centre headcode offering appears. I recently took some 21 tonners and Coil As and am sure Accurascale won't disappoint the transition era modellers like me with more transition era products 

Yes, they will produce fantastic modern stuff  and I am sure the 73 and 92 and Mk5s will be exemplary as have all the modern wagons.  Have to confess that the chaldron project knocked me sideways initially, but just goes to show that Accurascale are actually limitless. I have no idea of their business model but understand that startup cash wasn't a problem, so with a really healthy order book to look forward to, and payments rolling in for all the delivered projects - things are looking really chipper. The point is that us customers are no longer having to look straight ahead for new products, because the chaldron project suggests we need to really look left base and right field.  As has been suggested,  a suitable steam loco or two to play with the chaldrons could be a possibility, but there is also a huge gap to fill between them and the 24.5 ton HUOs.      

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

I'd jump at that. Although my hope for a follow-up to the Cauldrons was more along the lines of some suitably 19th-century motive power. Locomotion No.1? Derwent? S&D / NER Long Boiler? 

I was thinking something a bit more industrial from the same era with dumb buffers

Black Hawthorn or Manning Wardle for example. Some of them lasted about 100 years in service.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I haven't suggested an 80 Class DEMU for at least a week.  It's like an HST but less pointy, with more seats in the power car and a lower top speed.  

Otherwise identical.

Time to put in an 'advanced pre order' for the 80 class, the original eight NIR mk2s, all in blue and maroon livery, and two maroon Hunslets.

• Like 1