More model ideas

12 hours ago, Global said:

The Class 25 is a similar situation - both Heljan and Bachmann have models of them. Heljan haven’t nailed it looks wise and the Bachmann one looks ok but not quite top spec. Yet SLW, who could be called a somewhat more niche and less well known manufacturer than Accurascale, is bringing one out

Sometimes it helps to have a knowledge of both the prototype and the associated history/tales of the models in question.

In this example, one is really talking about not the Class 25 but the combined Class 24 and Class 25 given the similarities between the 2 classes and the result that there is a lot of shared tooling between models of the 2.

So yes, SLW is a bit late in coming out with a Class 25 - but they initially announced their Class 24 model back in 2015 and people who bought the Class 24 when it arrived noted that there were clues that the tooling also allowed for the Class 25.

Heljan announced their Class 25/3 model in 2018 - they were taking advantage of having already done the research for their 7mm model but also that Bachmann was at that time in the middle of their struggle to get new tooled models through the design/tooling/production process and thus leaving an opening for a competitor.

Bachmann also chose, despite those announcements, to continue with their Class 24/25 models.

It may be possible that all 3 will make a profit off of those models (with 478 built of the 24/25 there is likely a reasonable market) but it really isn't ideal having 3 higher end models even of a loco that was close behind the 47 number of prototypes built.

12 hours ago, Global said:

and they seem to be selling out.

An item selling out doesn't tell us modellers much.

Example.  X makes 2,000 models of loco A and sells out while Y makes 5,000 models of loco A and sells 4,000 in the first 3 months.  X would seem to be the winner - they sold out - yet Y actually sold twice as many models with the accompanying additional profit and cash flow but didn't sell out (simplified, reality is frequently more complicated).

All that we outsiders can really say about the issue is that SLW has a dedicated customer base and that they are very careful with their production orders to make sure they closely match what they think they can sell.

• Agree 1

Not to pour fuel on the 'what are Accurascale doing next' fire, however did anyone notice the Stadler card in the video regarding the chaldrons couplings? Now I'm not going to say there's anything in it, but we all know AS like to give us an easter egg or two....

Stadler don't make anything in AS's current range AFAIK, so are we looking at them 'flirt'ing with some modern units or could we see something 'sparking' the imagination loco wise. Or am I just chasing shadows, I guess we will find out...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, XChris said:

Stadler don't make anything in AS's current range AFAIK, so are we looking at them 'flirt'ing with some modern units or could we see something 'sparking' the imagination loco wise. Or am I just chasing shadows, I guess we will find out...

If this turns out to be in the town of truthville, I'll be 7th in line with my order!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If this turns out to be in the town of truthville, I'll be 7th in line with my order!

I'm hoping it's right for a certain loco that could end up on flask workings, for the wagons they also produce.....

Fingers crossed, it is an easter egg!

4 minutes ago, XChris said:

Don't do that to me! I'm hoping it could be...

TBH whilst a Flirt wouldn't be my thing (region wise) it would be a good step in the right direction (although I do think the new stuff from Bombardier or CAF would have a bigger market).

We know Revolution are doing the 93, so from a loco perspective that would leave the 88 the only one untouched wouldn't it?

46 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

TBH whilst a Flirt wouldn't be my thing (region wise) it would be a good step in the right direction (although I do think the new stuff from Bombardier or CAF would have a bigger market).

We know Revolution are doing the 93, so from a loco perspective that would leave the 88 the only one untouched wouldn't it?

If we’re talking about relatively new locomotives, yes. I have heard all the arguments about “few in number”, “limited selection of liveries” and so on but something new on the network is wonderfully exciting, is it not? I have no kidneys or female relations left but I’d find the money for an 88 somehow.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

If we’re talking about relatively new locomotives, yes. I have heard all the arguments about “few in number”, “limited selection of liveries” and so on but something new on the network is wonderfully exciting, is it not? I have no kidneys or female relations left but I’d find the money for an 88 somehow.

I'd love an 88, and would fit in nicely with the nuclear theme Accurascale have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Interesting indeed - but they were very short lived and would only have carried one livery in that time - let alone having a very limited geographical area .................... yer never know - nothing seems impossible these days !

Perhaps a good candidate for KR models to do?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, GordonC said:

It looks more like a unit than a loco - is it a Gatwick Express GLV? looks like no corridor connection but having a headlight must be an unusual combination.

Isn’t it too curved for a Mk1 unit? I would go with a Class 33.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo

21 hours ago, No Decorum said:

20 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd love an 88, and would fit in nicely with the nuclear theme Accurascale have.

The 88 is way too modern for me but surely an 88 is only a 68 with new bodysides and roof. I believe they are the same length cabs underpinnings etc. It therefore seems logical to me that a manufacturer of model class 68s will eventually produce the class 88 but......  in the meantime there might be an aftermarket offering of maybe a 3D printed roof and etched sides, or even offering custom conversions using same.

To be honest, it is the kind of project I would expect someone like TMC or a relivery company to offer  

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

The 88 is way too modern for me but surely an 88 is only a 68 with new bodysides and roof. I believe they are the same length cabs underpinnings etc. It therefore seems logical to me that a manufacturer of model class 68s will eventually produce the class 88 but......  in the meantime there might be an aftermarket offering of maybe a 3D printed roof and etched sides, or even offering custom conversions using same.

To be honest, it is the kind of project I would expect someone like TMC or a relivery company to offer  

The differences have been discussed at length on the Dapol area on this very forum.

I am of the similar opinion that there wouldn't be much of significance beyond the body and so a lot of common parts and design would make life easier for them. They have however, not done it and given how long the 59 has taken them I doubt they'll be doing it soon!

Because almost every aspect of the body changes however it would be a difficult conversion to get bob on IMO. Even the cab doors and the area surrounding it are different, it's not just a 68 shell with a pantograph and different holes in the sides. But I do think almost all of the differences are on the actual body.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Matt said:

Sorry I hadn’t watched the vid - assumed image was as much as revealed but you’re spot on that later you see it is a NSE73

Not just any 73, it's 73109 Battle of Britain 50th Anniversary...

Dapol body on a Hornby DCC chassis, which is in the process of being detailed and rewired.

• Like 3