More model ideas

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just because the manufacturers can do something, doesn't mean they always should.

Do low profile on bogie motor arrangements exist? I thought they tended to sit in the middle of the car to get lower, with the gearbox on top of the bogie. In that case its only a cardan shaft and another gearbox to make it AWD.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I don’t know why people don't like them

I didn't like the seats on the one I went on recently. I expect they will be great for anyone 5ft10 or shorter but the headrest things were just clashing with my shoulders all the time.

That doesn't make a difference on a layout though!

I thought class 180’s were diesel hydraulic ?.. WR tendencies die hard.

Yes, I messed up!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Otherwise totally agree is class 180 is a good all round unit.. been everywhere except the Southern.

I don’t know why people don't like them,

I think it was because they had (and still have) a nasty habit of failing to deliver you to your destination.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do low profile on bogie motor arrangements exist? I thought they tended to sit in the middle of the car to get lower, with the gearbox on top of the bogie. In that case its only a cardan shaft and another gearbox to make it AWD.

No but that's not my point. In modern AWD stuff, the floor is usually jacked up and the seats abbreviated to make enough room for the drive-train. That's probably better than going underfloor which would mean going back to Lima-style low-relief underframe detail.

In first generation units, a good motor bogie in the brake compartment will avoid both problems and my point is that it doesn't matter if it fills the van. Centre-can AWD is a tried-and-tested way to obtain good running, but there are other ways to get that. The haulage ability it provides isn't needed until you get up to 5-6 car units, and few older units were that long. If the manufacturers are reluctant to produce 3-car sets, it's not likely to be a factor!

Replica Railways provide AWD with sufficient grunt for short units by using a very small motor driving each bogie independently, which is another way it can be done without causing issues elsewhere.    

As you may have gathered, anything that can't carry BR green is (for me) S.E.P and already catered for anyway. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

In first generation units, a good motor bogie in the brake compartment will avoid both problems and my point is that it doesn't matter if it fills the van. Centre-can AWD is a tried-and-tested way to obtain good running, but there are other ways to get that. The haulage ability it provides isn't needed until you get up to 5-6 car units, and few older units were that long. If the manufacturers are reluctant to produce 3-car sets, it's not likely to be a factor!

I matters when you have lighting and suddenly find that the Guard's compartment is in darkness or you can't turn on the lights in the goods area when stopped at a station for unloading...

Roy

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I matters when you have lighting and suddenly find that the Guard's compartment is in darkness or you can't turn on the lights in the goods area when stopped at a station for unloading...

Roy

You can't open the doors either.:jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Do we know that for certain? I may have missed it, but I don't recall that being said.

Roy

Today's announcement is an unpowered model, albeit with lots of variation....

With our policy of the last year of only announcing items that are tooled up and within 12 months of delivery, we have no less than 20 brand new tooled items coming in 2022, not counting new liveries or variants of previous models. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, McC said:

Today's announcement is an unpowered model, albeit with lots of variation....

With our policy of the last year of only announcing items that are tooled up and within 12 months of delivery, we have no less than 20 brand new tooled items coming in 2022, not counting new liveries or variants of previous models. 

download.jpeg.fe090aa314a5b1072361cf371da88232.jpeg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I can never understand why Kernow/Bachmann never did the centre coach for their Class 205.  It was possibly okay for the early versions in green but apart from the few (four I think) that remained two car on the Marshlink line between Ashford and Hastings, the rest were three car either early on or from new.

Once they came out with the BR blue, blue/grey and NSE versions, they really hamstrung themselves by not having the centre car.  I’m pretty certain that the sales would have been so much better for a three car Class 205

Agreed, but their lamentably poor acceleration as 3-car sets led to quite a few reverting to 2-car format later in their careers.

John 

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, but their lamentably poor acceleration as 3-car sets led to quite a few reverting to 2-car format later in their careers.

John 

It wasn't so much to do with acceleration as traction. The weight in the DMBSO is not over the powered bogie meaning that if the rails are at all slippery, you struggle. It was found that the combination of a three-car and a two-car unit coped better on hills during times of poor adhesion.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

5DAF9ADB-5409-4C93-8215-63EF0AA2C1B1.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Do we know that for certain? I may have missed it, but I don't recall that being said.

Roy

Yes it was confirmed a few pages ago when we were speculating about locos and MUs (before the last bout of MU speculation)

• RMweb Gold

Wow. Brilliant move Accurascale.

It's not before time that somebody would jump on these, and realistic prices for realistic models will make them irresistible.:)

I reckon I'll be wanting at least three, probably more when the full livery/numbering options are known!

Wonder who'll grab the outside frame diagrams? Will Hornby wake up?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Wow. Brilliant move Accurascale.

It's not before time that somebody would jump on these, and realistic prices for realistic models will make them irresistible.:)

You can explore all the liveries, variants and numbers here https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/siphon-g

• Informative/Useful 1