More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Is it time to start the next wishlist.....? Sorry Andy

It probably is. Let me be the first in this round to suggest a HST. It must be least 4 pages ago since it was last mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

No diagram 062 in maroon yet listed. Hope they just haven't finished adding them....

John

not in maroon in this run, no, but there are another couple in Blue this time around..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I matters when you have lighting and suddenly find that the Guard's compartment is in darkness or you can't turn on the lights in the goods area when stopped at a station for unloading...

Roy

Unless we're going to go down the route of instead of plastic mouldings on the underframe it actually becoming a minaturised combustion engine then sometimes there does need to be some compromises and I'd happily sacrifice the guards compartment space on a 1st Gen DMU for good running capabilities - thats better than the likes of the Bachmann Class 150 losing part of the passenger saloon which looks daft with the interior lighting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Unless we're going to go down the route of instead of plastic mouldings on the underframe it actually becoming a minaturised combustion engine then sometimes there does need to be some compromises and I'd happily sacrifice the guards compartment space on a 1st Gen DMU for good running capabilities - thats better than the likes of the Bachmann Class 150 losing part of the passenger saloon which looks daft with the interior lighting.

But, and this goes back to why I posted, you  don’t have to lose parts of the interior whilst still getting good running. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, motorcat said:

How would everyone feel about a track traverser? I would love one of these! Heljan made one 10 years ago but it didn't work very well and a new one could be used on modern, older and European layouts

66567 traversing at Felixstowe

Neue Bw Waltershof

Whilst I think that is a good idea, I can't help thinking it would be better done by a track manufacturer like Peco.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Whilst I think that is a good idea, I can't help thinking it would be better done by a track manufacturer like Peco.

Roy

I tend to agree with Roy. For a model company to enter into track products they would need "connectivity with other manufacturers, or produce a reasonable range themselves. I imagine there would need to be a seriously modular approach in terms of size and number of berths etc.

In my view they need to stick to what they are really good at -  locos coaches and wagons - apart from the Swindon Cross Country and Gloucester DMUs of course :lol:   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Given how well the GWR mogul seems to be going down, how about looking at the workday Southern moguls? The N Class has been done by Bachmann but is now showing its age. There are many variations that Bachmann haven't done on this model plus there's the gaping hole that is the U Class. Not too bothered by the N1 and U1 - ugly beasts. 

Edit - apparently the GWR thingy is a Manor not a Mogul. Doh!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Given how well the GWR mogul seems to be going down, how about looking at the workday Southern moguls? The N Class has been done by Bachmann but is now showing its age. There are many variations that Bachmann haven't done on this model plus there's the gaping hole that is the U Class. Not too bothered by the N1 and U1 - ugly beasts. 

Could do with a W or H16 tank, though (a G16 might be going a little too far...)

No SR [*LARGE*] tank locos with more than 8 wheels have been done RTR.

The LBSCR Pacifics and Baltics look like future Blue Box territory on past form.

John

EDIT: WHOOPS, forgot the Adams Radials.....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not something that Accurascale have produced yet, but high on my wish list would be a tank wagon - in particular the Liquified Petroleum Gas variant of the TTA wagon as shown in the link below. (Not my photo)

No other manufacturer has produced these before as far as I'm aware.

https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/T-TOPS-Code/TTA/i-QMjd3kT

Edited by Dan Bennett
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Manor.   :)

I do tend to agree. The SR Moguls are probably one of the few open goals left. Long lived and has preserved examples.

If I was going to pick one then I would go for a U. I wouldn't rule out the "ugly" ones though. Oddballs seem to sell.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The SR Moguls would also have an Irish angle in the Woolwich versions, which might appeal?

Personally, I model in O gauge so would be more interested in 7mm scale stuff. There was the 24.5t hopper and then the range fizzled out.

I wonder whether that was a commercial success and whether any 7mm more wagons might be worthwhile - there are plenty that aren't available even in kit form, let alone RTR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Dan Bennett said:

Not something that Accurascale have produced yet, but high on my wish list would be a tank wagon - in particular the Liquified Petroleum Gas variant of the TTA wagon as shown in the link below. (Not my photo)

No other manufacturer has produced these before as far as I'm aware.

https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/T-TOPS-Code/TTA/i-QMjd3kT

I'd love a tank wagon too ;-)

Ammonia_wagon,_Limerick_Jct_(geograph_2678387).jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Manor.   :)

I do tend to agree. The SR Moguls are probably one of the few open goals left. Long lived and has preserved examples.

If I was going to pick one then I would go for a U. I wouldn't rule out the "ugly" ones though. Oddballs seem to sell.

Jason

I was obviously forgetting my manors...:P

Anyway, the green GWR tender thingy seems to have been well received.

• Like 1

I would like to suggest a humble BR brake van in Accurasclae quality, and also some ordinary single/twin vent vans, maybe in various private owner liveries. I still have half a dozen Grafar OO vans; it would be nice to have more up-to-date versions (in terms of quality and detail and close-coupling, I mean).

I should think there will be more version of the Class 37 on the way as some combinations of headcode arrangement and livery (particulary BR green and rail blue) are not represented yet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I would like to suggest a humble BR brake van in Accurasclae quality, and also some ordinary single/twin vent vans, maybe in various private owner liveries. I still have half a dozen Grafar OO vans; it would be nice to have more up-to-date versions (in terms of quality and detail and close-coupling, I mean).

Some GWR Mogos and Minks that aren't tubby like Bachmann's - and including the plywood-body sort. Bachmann's LNER and SR vans are good, the LMS one anything but. Give that they had almost as many vans as any two of the other Big Four put together, that's a wide open goal.

Accurate early BR/LMS/LNER/GWR cattle wagons; for once the Southern is best off in this area, thanks to Hornby.

If you want "real" PO vans, that'll be a first in RTR. There'll need to be one to the pre-group design by Hurst Nelson from whom the vast majority seem to have been purchased/leased. Mind you PO vans were so uncommon that you should only need one for roughly every four hundred PO coal wagons on your layout....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Some GWR Mogos and Minks that aren't tubby like Bachmann's - and including the plywood-body sort. Bachmann's LNER and SR vans are good, the LMS one anything but. Give that they had almost as many vans as any two of the other Big Four put together, that's a wide open goal.

Accurate early BR/LMS/LNER/GWR cattle wagons; for once the Southern is best off in this area, thanks to Hornby.

If you want "real" PO vans, that'll be a first in RTR. There'll need to be one to the pre-group design by Hurst Nelson from whom the vast majority seem to have been purchased/leased. Mind you PO vans were so uncommon that you should only need one for roughly every four hundred PO coal wagons on your layout....

John

Salt Union had hundreds of vans. I don't mean the "cottage roofed" wagons, but actual vans. Probably more than some of the pre-grouping companies.

Many later ended up with ICI.

There was a very good article on them in an old issue of Modellers Back Track.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Salt Union had hundreds of vans. I don't mean the "cottage roofed" wagons, but actual vans. Probably more than some of the pre-grouping companies.

Many later ended up with ICI.

There was a very good article on them in an old issue of Modellers Back Track.

Jason

AIUI, the Salt Union wagons represented getting on for half of the total salt traffic fleet, and outnumbered all other PO merchandise vans several times over.

Excepting salt and grain stock, private owner vans were, numerically, a tiny part of overall wagon numbers and became all the more scarce once company wagons started to get vacuum brakes, allowing them to run in faster trains. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Bachmann's LNER and SR vans are good, the LMS one anything but. Give that they had almost as many vans as any two of the other Big Four put together, that's a wide open goal.

Also LMS merchandise wagons and the BR derivatives of both - a huge hole in rtr wagonry, particularly if the various designs of clasp brakes are included.

Also also the various iterations of the 21t steel hopper which H can't seem to be bothered with.

• Agree 2

General question: does anyone currently offer a decent BR brake van (any region) with kinetically mounted close-coupling NEM pockets? Short of going to a shop and opening boxes, it's very difficult to find out as catalogues (printed and online) and magazine reviews rarely mention this information.

• Like 1