More model ideas

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Depends what you call better. Hornby's set-up on their Rebuilts is fine with flanged trailing wheels for static display and on curves of 36" radius and greater. With a bit of fettling, they'll go round 30".

The fixed trucks get rid of the unrealistic daylight around the moving ones on older models and allow for a correct ash-pan and the proper pipework to be incorporated.

Pacifics arguably look daft on train-set curves whether the truck moves or not.:devil:

Mine have flanges and, if visiting someone's layout with tight corners, I just take them out. Hardly anyone ever notices their absence.

If Accurascale can make one that will go round No.2 radii with all wheels flanged and without compromising appearance and/or omitting details, bring it on.

It's not impossible, because I've modified a swinging truck BofB with a fixed ash-pan and a cut-back (but still pivoted) truck that looks almost as good standing still as the fixed trucks.

John

Hornby could do so much better. For a start, flanged wheels often jam against the chassis or something else. The only Hornby models I have which get it right are the Princesses, Brits and Clans. Even then, they probably only work because I have large radius curves. Compare Hornby’s W1 and Bachmann’s V2. Even leaving off the securing plate doesn’t allow the trailing wheels to work properly on the W1 but the chassis of the V2 is shaped to accommodate the flanges, the axles are sprung and there is plenty of sideplay. Granted, the flangeless wheels of the V2 can cause trouble compared to the Hornby but that’s a different issue and easily corrected if Bachmann were to redesign the wheel profile.

I agree that Pacifics look daft on second radius. My point is not that there is a perfect solution but that Hornby in particular can design trailing trucks a good deal better than is done at the moment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Since i guess this is the we would like to see from Accurascale thread,hows about a 00 class 59 as the Dapol version after six years is nowhere to be seen and the latest liverys would be nice.Modern image is very popular now.The first American loco to run here as a non state run machine and 35 years since the Yeoman first four still doing amazing haulage with the jumbo stone traffic.

• Agree 2

Dipping my oar in to suggest the GNR C2 / LNER C12 4-4-2T Atlantic tank engine. Ever so elegant, worked everywhere from London to Yorkshire and as many station pilots and branch line shuttles inbetween. And wearing GNR lined green, LNER lined and unlined black and 1948 / early crest BR lined black, plenty of liveries to choose.

C18448BA-0F07-4CB0-BF2D-A489C038D6EF.jpeg.7507941da0fad0f40ea15e8240890150.jpeg

If only to prove not all ER modellers only crave grand Pacifics!

• Like 3

On 08/01/2022 at 09:41, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Since i guess this is the we would like to see from Accurascale thread,hows about a 00 class 59 as the Dapol version after six years is nowhere to be seen

Except Dapol have shown painted samples.

No one is going to tool a duplicate Class 59 when Dapol is close to bringing to market, and could accelerate it if necessary.

On 04/01/2022 at 08:08, TomScrut said:

What makes a loco so expensive vs a coach then? I don't really understand why a loco should be more expensive than the driving half of a 2 car DMU.

At a guess, numbers.

And the comparison is to a coach, not a driving half.

A Mk1/Mk2/etc coach will probably sell in much higher numbers than a loco or a DMU, so your tooling costs are spread out over more sales, thus bringing the cost down.

Also, these days more complexity - we no longer accept that they simply tool "a" Class 37, we want all the sub-classes and various detail differences which push up the tooling costs while decreasing the volume for any given variety.

Multiple units sort of fall in the middle.  One coach has the extra costs of a motor and electronics, but overall they aren't likely to sell in the same numbers as a loco hauled coach - they are likely to sell more like locos.  So fewer numbers to spread tooling and development costs over.

On 08/01/2022 at 15:10, OliverBytham said:

Dipping my oar in to suggest the GNR C2 / LNER C12 4-4-2T Atlantic tank engine. Ever so elegant, worked everywhere from London to Yorkshire and as many station pilots and branch line shuttles inbetween. And wearing GNR lined green, LNER lined and unlined black and 1948 / early crest BR lined black, plenty of liveries to choose.

C18448BA-0F07-4CB0-BF2D-A489C038D6EF.jpeg.7507941da0fad0f40ea15e8240890150.jpeg

If only to prove not all ER modellers only crave grand Pacifics!

Rather have the Jersey Lily behind it.....

Just to prove I occasionally like those LNER things!

Jason

Happy New Year to all and here’s to some fabulous announcements hopefully on the way from the guys at Accurascale! 

Having just cancelled all of my Hornby orders due to their bullying tactics it needs to go somewhere else! Lol. So 31 and HST please, hint hint!! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I know we don't normally comment on this thread, but we do read it and we thank you all for the ideas, suggestions and interesting chat. 

Just for the record, we will be making several announcements throughout the year as per normal practice, and delivering what we have announced before during this year too. So, while it wont be one big announcement, there will be regular announcements for models due in 2023 during the oncoming year. 

Feel free to speculate!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

So, while it wont be one big announcement, there will be regular announcements for models due in 2023 during the oncoming year. 

So that leads to the important question....

When is the next one? :laugh_mini: 

Having said that I have had an expensive day so far.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Any chance of doing Lion, everyone else is. It might even go with the Chaldrons.

To get round Copy rights etc, they could offer it with a ikea Cupboard and a lady with a Hover and a pointy hat. 

Edited by farren
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Pure speculation: If there's an Accurascale Black 5 I reckon there still room for both that and the new Hornby one. It's so ubiquitous, especially on railtours that almost every modeller has one at some stage if not more than 1. I will always have 2 as a minimum being a Scottish modeller. 1 would definitely be an Accurascale version based on the standards currently seen. That being said Hornby have set a high bar in terms of steam, synchronised sound and light for £250. Granted the chip and speaker may not be as good as the Accurascale benchmark and will omit the powerpack too so an Accurascale one could still be very much viable. I also trust the QA much more!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, E100 said:

Pure speculation: If there's an Accurascale Black 5 I reckon there still room for both that and the new Hornby one. It's so ubiquitous, especially on railtours that almost every modeller has one at some stage if not more than 1. I will always have 2 as a minimum being a Scottish modeller. 1 would definitely be an Accurascale version based on the standards currently seen. That being said Hornby have set a high bar in terms of steam, synchronised sound and light for £250. Granted the chip and speaker may not be as good as the Accurascale benchmark and will omit the powerpack too so an Accurascale one could still be very much viable. I also trust the QA much more!

I really don’t think there is room for both. Many people are happy with the old railroad version with all its failings,

others are happy with the old detailed black 5 such as myself plenty of them out there on eBay and in peoples collections. I have six and have removed the tender lip and sorted the smokebox saddle recessed. weather coaled etc. Their good runner and pull good enough. On the standard black 5s I really not going bother replacing all of them. And these quite a few people have done the same with theirs.

That dosent mean I and others won’t get one as another wouldn’t be a bad thing but it’s got to be something different so long wheelbase or a capprotti  even though these are out of my modelling period and and common sense says why bother, but then why do we play trains in the first place. 

After yesterday's problematic announcements from Hornby, I think that it is obvious that there are huge gaps in the market where  high detailed products at your prices would find a ready market.

The obvious choice would be "generic" 50-odd foot pre-grouping bogie coaches to complement the 4- and 6-wheel generic pre-grouping  coaches.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know how feasible this would be, but some manufacturer will be producing these, whether "generic", or company specific.

Otherwise, please look at my "signature", particularly the 4-COR E.M.U..

The D-1, E-1, and even an L-1 would also be useful.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you produce.

17 hours ago, E100 said:

This is what I am saying about steam being DCC: The Next Generation and that because of the Hornby Black 5 now including steam/smoke we are at a benchmark moment. I personally think that DCC lighting and sound would be good on engines for that can be incorporated together. This does however mean that all engines not done and those since the start of the 'super detailed' period in modelling are now all possibly up for a retool and digital upgrade. It will also push all releases to be aimed at digital and thus now mean that analogue really has been overtaken but essentially a must if you want to get the best out of your purchases. It will be interesting to see what releases follow to see which ones are chosen first. 

23 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

I know we don't normally comment on this thread, but we do read it and we thank you all for the ideas, suggestions and interesting chat. 

Just for the record, we will be making several announcements throughout the year as per normal practice, and delivering what we have announced before during this year too. So, while it wont be one big announcement, there will be regular announcements for models due in 2023 during the oncoming year. 

Feel free to speculate!

Cheers!

Fran 

I know I have speculated before but having seen releases named upto this point I am now fully behind the thinking that Accurascale should do: 

1. Class 50
2. Class 185
3. 220/221/222 Voyager/Meridian
4. Class 31
5. HEA Wagon

Steam

1. Hall
2. A4
3. B16 all versions! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, phil gollin said:

The obvious choice would be "generic" 50-odd foot pre-grouping bogie coaches to complement the 4- and 6-wheel generic pre-grouping  coaches.  I am not knowledgeable enough to know how feasible this would be, but some manufacturer will be producing these, whether "generic", or company specific.

It may be obvious in many ways and for many of us would be fantastic however you only have to look at the recent siphon announcement to see that a generic coach flies in the face of Accurascale's principles.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, phil gollin said:

The obvious choice would be "generic" 50-odd foot pre-grouping bogie coaches to complement the 4- and 6-wheel generic pre-grouping  coaches.

Hello Phil, and an interesting comment. Having come from the company that was (and still is) riding hard on the 'generic' coach ticket, in my view that's an avenue in which no one really wins. Try to make as many genuine features as possible, and the critics huff, puff and declare that 'it's nearly, but not quite', and that it's a waste of money, while if one pursues the most generic of generic layout (where the only 'correct' point is the length of the chassis and wheelbase) another set of critics will decry the project as no more than a toy, and that it's a waste of money.

Certainly, one of the reasons I'm here now, rather than 'there', is that I'm opposed to the idea of a 'generic' anything, so from my point of view, if a bogie pre-grouping coach was a viable project, it would be based on a set of genuine prototypes, and measurements/details would be drawn from archive documents.

All the best,

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that, The Black Hats speciations are very good with only one missing, he must have forgotten to add when he was writing the list. something for the poor L&YR modellers, ‘it’s very cold being left out side all the time!’ 

just don’t do the Class 25 for crying out loud as I’ve not built mine yet! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

...... now including steam/smoke we are at a benchmark moment. I personally think that DCC lighting and sound would be good on engines for that can be incorporated together.........

Fantastic if the loco is fitted with appropriate Artificial Intelligence to know when steam is going to be required, how much steam will be required for the appropriate load and road to be traversed, how to produce that steam without emitting unnecessary 'clag', how to coast silently .... oh, and produces smoke that smells like coal smoke ( so long as it's permitted ) ......... until such time, I'll be happy just to play driver and imagine the other 'special effects'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1