More model ideas

On 10/01/2022 at 00:46, mdvle said:

Multiple units sort of fall in the middle.  One coach has the extra costs of a motor and electronics, but overall they aren't likely to sell in the same numbers as a loco hauled coach - they are likely to sell more like locos.  So fewer numbers to spread tooling and development costs over.

Speaking personally, if Accurascale did an AM10/310 electric unit in all colour combinations I'd buy blue with small yellow bib, blue/grey, Network SE with flat windscreens, Midline with flat windscreens, and Reggie Rail with flat windscreens.

For that shopping list I'd expect some help from Accurascale with my bankruptcy application too.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

5. HEA Wagon

If this doesn't come from AS I'll be very surprised. It fits perfectly within their "Power Britain" series.

I'd guess the RNA runner wagon would follow it.

I'd also be surprised if AS's attention doesn't turn to the humble 16t minerals at some point.

Steven B.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KDG said:

Agree except for the steam stuff 

Thing is the DCC sound / smoke / lights is going to mean that every steam engine will be up for retool so that you can have your engine with all those extras... That means the popular ones, or ones not yet done that would be popular (hence B16) will be being done first. 

Question is: Will people pay for the full features, or will they want to see steam stay with DCC and sound, lights possible and not smoke. If thats the case then perhaps range does not need as much upgrading. Price will be the deciding point on that... So see what happens in the market and ranges from companies in the next few years to gauge how much of that will happen. 

• RMweb Premium
On 04/01/2022 at 18:52, wombatofludham said:

I suspect that a Class 50 will be ahead of the Class 31 if Accurascale want to go toe to toe with Hornby.  Mechanically it could be easily worked up from the Deltic mechanicals and is a cult class with sales appeal.  I'd almost go as far as to say I will be surprised if the DON'T announce a 50 this year.

Not much competition  in all honesty, the Hornby version is terrible around the cab front/ windscreen area, its not even close.

We're well over due for a decent Class 50, which less face it, has only been done twice in 00 (Lima, Hornby) over the last 42 ish years!

I for one would buy alot of them  if it happened.

20 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Thing is the DCC sound / smoke / lights is going to mean that every steam engine will be up for retool so that you can have your engine with all those extras... That means the popular ones, or ones not yet done that would be popular (hence B16) will be being done first. 

Question is: Will people pay for the full features, or will they want to see steam stay with DCC and sound, lights possible and not smoke. If thats the case then perhaps range does not need as much upgrading. Price will be the deciding point on that... So see what happens in the market and ranges from companies in the next few years to gauge how much of that will happen. 

No I won't buy any steam engines, they don't do it for me in 00 gauge. As a 10 year old I cabbed Flying Scotsman at Manchester Piccadilly and was completely blown away. Went on about for weeks, even my Dad was getting bored with it.

Thing is I'm 58 this year, and I don't remember mainline BR steam. I only remember seeing 1 green diesel 40106 Atlantic Conveyor at Manchester Victoria. Girls beer and fags took up my teenage years, then the RAF and mountains, so my interest in trains rekindled in the post privatisation era really.

37/6 was the holy grail for me, now Accurascale have done that, and some great modern wagons. The new nuclear flasks would be great, or IHA steel carriers.

5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

• RMweb Gold

There’s been talk on the thread about the possibility of the black five, but with Hornby’s  announcement of the retooled release I have my doubts about writher that is still a viable idea.
I wonder if the Red five might be a better option now. The Bachmann model is still a good model but it’s not perfect and it’s pulling power isn’t brilliant to be fair not to mention the lack of LFB only the Stanier and Fowler tenders offers along with the one piece smoke box saddle also limiting the class members and running ability could it be another steel from Bachmann. Oh yes no domelss boiler option either 

I tend to be totally wrong on predictions so please put me down for two black 5’s 

Edited by farren
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Oh please please announce a Drax biomass wagon,they would be hotcakes,you know it makes sense..........

we do have some lovely super detailed biomass wagons for just £74.95 a pair (and 10% off that if you buy two or more packs) 

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/iia-biomass-bogie-hoppers

Edited by McC
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Oh please please announce a Drax biomass wagon,they would be hotcakes,you know it makes sense..........

I think that there must be a licensing issue or I expect Revolution and Rails would have been all over them in OO too!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, McC said:

we do have some lovely super detailed biomass wagons for just £74.95 a pair (and 10% off that if you buy two or more packs) 

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/iia-biomass-bogie-hoppers

I think the nacco white biomass wagons would probably be a hit too. Especially since the GBRF 60's are out as well.

Edited by XChris
Spelling.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, XChris said:

I think the nacco white biomass wagons would probably be a hit too. Especially since the GBRF 68's are out as well.

Thanks! The full HYA, IIA and cut-down HYA ranges are in transit now - grab them while you can!

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, XChris said:

I think the nacco white biomass wagons would probably be a hit too. Especially since the GBRF 68's are out as well.

I agree, (having posted them very early in this thread), the main issue I can see with them is they don't tend to go off their usual stomping ground of Tyne dock-Lynemouth.

This is the only pic I am aware of with them on the ECML south of their usual workings:

60076 6H70 dringhouses 20.02.2019

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/01/2022 at 13:17, wombatofludham said:

Speaking personally, if Accurascale did an AM10/310 electric unit in all colour combinations I'd buy blue with small yellow bib, blue/grey, Network SE with flat windscreens, Midline with flat windscreens, and Reggie Rail with flat windscreens.

For that shopping list I'd expect some help from Accurascale with my bankruptcy application too.

Though I'd join you in the queue to hand over money for a couple of 310s (plain blue please), some smart design work on a 304 would be more versatile maybe, with potential for 304 3car and 4 car, 305, 307 even? And my favourite of all, (put me down for a crate load) 504 2 car Bury units, blue& grey and gmpte orange.

Non Southern emus are sorely neglected in rtr

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Though I'd join you in the queue to hand over money for a couple of 310s (plain blue please), some smart design work on a 304 would be more versatile maybe, with potential for 304 3car and 4 car, 305, 307 even? And my favourite of all, (put me down for a crate load) 504 2 car Bury units, blue& grey and gmpte orange.

Non Southern emus are sorely neglected in rtr

To make models of the Class 304, 5 and 8 plus 504 would probably require more tooling options - the 304, for example, had a DTBS and an MBS, whereas the 305 and 308 had a DTS, but in terms of liveries, you could do them in green, no yellow end, green, small yellow end, blue with sye, blue, full yellow end and blue/grey.  A handful of Class 304s received Regional Railways livery, whilst refurbished Class 305 and 308 also ran in NSE, GMPTE and West Yorkshire liveries.  Tooling wise though, it would require quite an expensive set of options.

I wouldn't say no, though!

• Agree 1

On 12/01/2022 at 17:41, Gary H said:

Not much competition  in all honesty, the Hornby version is terrible around the cab front/ windscreen area, its not even close.

We're well over due for a decent Class 50, which less face it, has only been done twice in 00 (Lima, Hornby) over the last 42 ish years!

I for one would buy alot of them  if it happened.

I am confident an Accurascale 50 will be announced in due course, but I also agree the Hornby class 50 face just does not do the class justice.  However, I must disagree with you, in that MTK did a kit for a class 50 in whitemetal.  My dad built one and I have to say it is the most accurate "face" I have seen to a class 50.  It was however a kit, not RTR. 

What ho chaps. Would you consider making the network rail IEA bogie ballast wagons?

Folk would need multiples of them to mix in with falcons.

Lots of different liveries too:-

Yellow

Faded yellow

Dirty yellow

Very dirty yellow

Etc.

Red.

Faded red

Etc.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2022 at 14:16, farren said:

There’s been talk on the thread about the possibility of the black five, but with Hornby’s  announcement of the retooled release I have my doubts about writher that is still a viable idea.
I wonder if the Red five might be a better option now. The Bachmann model is still a good model but it’s not perfect and it’s pulling power isn’t brilliant to be fair not to mention the lack of LFB only the Stanier and Fowler tenders offers along with the one piece smoke box saddle also limiting the class members and running ability could it be another steel from Bachmann. Oh yes no domelss boiler option either 

I tend to be totally wrong on predictions so please put me down for two black 5’s 

There is definitely a market for an Accurascale Black 5 regardless of Hornby in my opinion. Even if Hornby get to market first (not a given) there are 842 loco's to model and you can guarantee Hornby will successfully evade all of the popular choices anyway because in SK's world he knows what we want better than we do (I recall with the original Hornby China model they didnt produce late BR crest lined for ages apparently because SK didnt think they ran in that livery!). Less convinced there is wide market for a Jubilee - the Bachmann model is excellent even if not of the most common variant and many have been sold. Both Hornby and Bachmann have a chassis ready to go if they wanted to do the long firebox version as a spoiler too.

No haulage problems from my Bachmann Jubilees by the way - 8 coach trains (rtr stock) on a minimum 30 inch curve without issue. 

• Agree 2

On 13/01/2022 at 14:16, farren said:

Perhaps with the "Building Britain" theme the 8F would be a much better choice than your "Red five".  backdated there was a good spread of liveries - well markings !! You could certainly put an 8F on the front of the 24T hoppers the 21T minerals and very probably the Coil As up in North Wales - anyone seen a photo ?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Still think theres room for a Black 5 if they've already started .  Accurascale are building up a loyal customer base who I'm sure would defer to them rather than Hornby . Anyway the Black 5 market is big enough for both 

Still think a 313/314/315/507/508 better though !

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, Covkid said:

Perhaps with the "Building Britain" theme the 8F would be a much better choice than your "Red five".  backdated there was a good spread of liveries - well markings !! You could certainly put an 8F on the front of the 24T hoppers the 21T minerals and very probably the Coil As up in North Wales - anyone seen a photo ?

8F is going to be one that stands out like a sore thumb. The present offering rarely has cables to socket in tender for easy DCC sound installation and the lights that can be added recently would improve the offering. I can't help think that Hornby are going to redo the Stanier range in their collection though, so would think that it might be wise to cede this area to them. The range of Western engines that would benefit from the new steam DCC: the next gen upgrade, however, then becomes a nice big target... 

Yet, I do think that overall the steam sector is more analogue than the diesel scene, especially if your looking at layouts based on periods in the last 30 years. There is a lot more DCC Sound models made for prototypes running in the last 30 years than compared to steam overall. Thus, you could think that some will be more hesitant to upgrade from their current offering and that's the difference in tempting customers to then buy the next offering, between steam and diesel. 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

8F is going to be one that stands out like a sore thumb. The present offering rarely has cables to socket in tender for easy DCC sound installation and the lights that can be added recently would improve the offering. I can't help think that Hornby are going to redo the Stanier range in their collection though, so would think that it might be wise to cede this area to them. The range of Western engines that would benefit from the new steam DCC: the next gen upgrade, however, then becomes a nice big target... 

Yet, I do think that overall the steam sector is more analogue than the diesel scene, especially if your looking at layouts based on periods in the last 30 years. There is a lot more DCC Sound models made for prototypes running in the last 30 years than compared to steam overall. Thus, you could think that some will be more hesitant to upgrade from their current offering and that's the difference in tempting customers to then buy the next offering, between steam and diesel. 

DCC perhaps adds more with diesels and electrics with more lighting options and potentially sound. I tend to think sound on steam locos seems to be missing a presence when there's no steam and the sound doesn't necessarily sync with the movement and pistons. Its probably easier to add realistic sound for diesels/electrics

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

DCC perhaps adds more with diesels and electrics with more lighting options and potentially sound. I tend to think sound on steam locos seems to be missing a presence when there's no steam and the sound doesn't necessarily sync with the movement and pistons. Its probably easier to add realistic sound for diesels/electrics

That is true, but I think the main issue is the fact that there are bigger collections out there that's been built up running on analogue for steam and thus wont convert over to digital whereas diesel models made will have been done so for digital even if fitted with more basic set ups before, ie can just put in a basic decoder and control lights, as the models also cover the time period being done so already came digital fitted and thus no conversion needed. 

• Like 1