More model ideas

I dont know if its been talked about before (sorry I havnt read the whole thread), but something I think Accurascale might do is the humble 16T Steel Mineral.

They've got the whole "Powering Britain" series, from the Chaldrons to the HAAs, and theres a big gap with the 16T Minerals. Add in all the variations and versions, and I think they could really go to town. 

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I dont know if its been talked about before (sorry I havnt read the whole thread), but something I think Accurascale might do is the humble 16T Steel Mineral.

They've got the whole "Powering Britain" series, from the Chaldrons to the HAAs, and theres a big gap with the 16T Minerals. Add in all the variations and versions, and I think they could really go to town. 

What's wrong with the Bachmann ones?

They do most variants. They aren't the old Mainline or Airfix versions.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Which answers the question posed by somebody up-thread as to why existing models keep getting upgraded. There is core set of models that were numerous, widespread, lasted a good few years and which will sell, not just on released but for many years thereafter, something niche models will not. Manufacturers need a mix of the two, probably with the niche models only being viable because of the staple models.

I take your point about the niche models could damage sales of the staple ones, but I think this will be fairly limited. I say this because we still see those staple models being upgraded and released, if the money was not there, that would not happen.

Roy

Agreeing with you on this. The trends have been that staple models will be done and continually redone and retooled as they will sell. People need several of these to model an area and time, for example, a Black 5 or class 37... manufacturers will then choose ones that go a bit further and have livery variations as that helps sell the model to more people. 

Niche models have been seen, IMHO, to damage the sales of staple engines, particularly if you look at the Southern region.  Hattons P class, the USA dock tank, the Oxford Radial and the Kernow 02 are just a few examples of other entrants adding to the range that would have been covered by the bigger traditional companies. In light of a flood of engines to high polling and high sales rates in that area, customers went and bought niche engines seeing others like WC/BB, 700's and more all sitting on shelves. Only a delay in other batches arriving has seen these shift from bargins to sales. 

59 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The same, of course, applies to some Companies within the other groups ...... BUT there's a significant element of "Nobody does stuff for the XYZ Railway - so I've never taken an interest in it." attitude : How many people were clamouring for SECR locos, carriages and wagons, for instance, before the C class appeared ??!? 

In truth, the demand was clearly there for SECR stuff as I was lobbying for North Eastern things at the time. In order to justify similar polling NER engines I would see where others compared. SECR polled very highly when you compared all the pre-grouping companies against each other, so in turn I put forward the idea that NER engines were also equally viable. 

The difference can be where smaller pre-grouping companies overlap. Thus someone buys a former SECR engine has it would also run on lines to destinations out of its area after starting off on home turf. It looked to me as if several people were voting for all the southern stuff entirely as they had a much smaller area, whereas northern companies such as NER and LNW would not behave like this as often all the engines would be from just one company and the company's geography would encompass all your area of interest. 

However, the poll was very steam-centric and looking at what was on the market also pointed out that many models were being sold due to companies noticing what was selling. This is much more true of modern image/current scene where engines would appeal to a national geographical coverage either all at once or cover much of it during a prototypes operation. You thus need to include what is in a range and what can enhance this to get to the conclusion of what model will sell. 

The poll was great in gathering some information and the analysis I did, showed what was possible and of interest, but then so too can noticing the trends and sales as these can show what is popular due to demand across more than just one period of modelling choice and operation. We then hope, or lobby for ours and then if lucky, someone makes it. 

23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I dont think theres anything particularly wrong with them - and there are other variants, such as the French ones that could be done. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I'm fairly sure that they actually only cover three diagrams out of something like what - 10? None of the rivetted examples, or those with the thin lip around the top are covered. They don't do a clasp-braked one and their Morton VB one should have tie bars between the axle guards, but doesn't.

Lots of scope for a definitive version of the 1/108 and all the others to go at, too.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

Niche models have been seen, IMHO, to damage the sales of staple engines, particularly if you look at the Southern region.

I think the thing is that models can often be regarded as niche due to their numbers in real life, but I think it is pretty much fact that interest levels from rail enthusiasts is generally inversely proportional to that, and therefore when modelling probably quite an even spectrum due to the balance between what is interesting and what is realistic. I.e. a station with HST prototype, a couple of APT-P and the APT-E sat there would not paint a realistic picture regardless of the modelling around it (unless targeting a specific moment in time where these may have been together), whereas if it was one of those models with production HSTs, 87s, whatever alongside then it maybe would do whilst still not being representative of the actual demographic of the trains in real life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, D86 said:

Another vote for a Class 310 here.....the one glaring omission, a WCML EMU on my 1980's based layout.

N gauge, of course ! I think it would go down well with 00 and N   :D

• Like 1

If it's not been mentioned before, some decent BR iron ore hoppers would fill a gaping hole in the RTR wagon market

Andy

On 20/10/2021 at 14:26, wombatofludham said:

I'd argue that the 310 is probably a simpler project to tool up for than the 304-8 family which would require a "Swiss Army knife" moulding suite - even the 304s had two different pantograph well lengths for example - as, if we exclude the two units which ended up with differing driving trailer designs after accident damage repairs, the AM10-310 has fewer design changes, the most obvious being the two different types of cab windows, less obvious the lack of gangway between the trailer second and motor brake second prior to refurbishment, and of course spotlights on the front.  Clearly these minor changes are well within the capability of modern toolings.  In terms of liveries, you have (with curved windscreens) original "flat" blue with the yellow bib within the jumper housing, later gloss blue with half depth wrap round yellow panel, a few ran with full height yellow panels which wrapped round onto the cab doors, "normal" gloss blue with full yellow ends, blue grey, blue grey with NSE branding, and even one unit which retained original curved windscreens with full curved swoop NSE livery.  With flat windscreens and full gangways, Network Southeast (pale and darker blue, with different route brandings), Provincial "Sprinter" livery, "Midline" livery and Regional Railways.  That's quite a parade of loveliness to swoon over and probably offers some useful potential retailer commissions.

That was a party political broadcast for the Make an AM10 Now! Party.

One final point about the AM10 / 310 is another livery option if it tipped the production opportunity.  The Hitachi Verification Train was a Class 310 EMU kitted out with Hitachi recording equipment which traipsed around a lot of the 25kV lines in the Network Southeast region. Known as the "V Train".     

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Going to throw my suggestion into the mix as I haven't seen it mentioned before:

The GWR 2251 "Collett Goods"

The Bachmann version was first produced in 1997 and derived from the old Mainline tooling (correct me if I'm wrong)

On 01/11/2021 at 12:58, SteamingWales said:

Going to throw my suggestion into the mix as I haven't seen it mentioned before:

The GWR 2251 "Collett Goods"

The Bachmann version was first produced in 1997 and derived from the old Mainline tooling (correct me if I'm wrong)

It was a totally new model.

Jason

• Like 1

Given the underframe has already been used for the Coil A and the MDV, how about the Shockhood B? 300 examples built; initially confined to South Wales, but soon found nationwide. When displaced by air-braked stock, many went to the Civil Engineers as 'Dace' ballast/ spoil wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Given the underframe has already been used for the Coil A and the MDV, how about the Shockhood B? 300 examples built; initially confined to South Wales, but soon found nationwide. When displaced by air-braked stock, many went to the Civil Engineers as 'Dace' ballast/ spoil wagons.

Having skimmed through the recent Traction magazine with around a dozen photos of Coil As in Hampshire, Wiltshire and around STJ I am still convinced Accurascale need the bogie version in their catalogue.  a distinctive short wagon in several liveries.  What is not to like ?

Four of em behind a 37 - pukka Accurascale train set that is

Poole Port Freight - UK Prototype Questions - RMweb

• Like 1

I know ‘duplication’ can be a dirty word in model railways, but to be honest I’m all for it if it means we get models to the standards the Accurascale guys are producing!

Not only are the models great but reasonably priced too.

In a totally selfish request I’d like to see 08, 20, 31, 47 and HST from them! Along with Mk1s and a full range of Mk2s.

It’s not just the models, they really get how to communicate with their target market and it’s no wonder they have won Manufacturer of the Year!

I think they may be the equivalent of Ant & Dec at the TV awards - ie they should win it every year!! 

• Like 1

Just now, atom3624 said:

I'm just wondering what an AccuraScale rebuilt Merchant Navy would be like ... just a thought!

Hornby's is excellent, but falling behind the times ...

Al.

Fast forward about 20 years....

"I wonder what a new entrant to the model railway market XXXX will be, because Accurascale's is falling behind the times".

Probably not in my sane lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Global said:

I know ‘duplication’ can be a dirty word in model railways, but to be honest I’m all for it if it means we get models to the standards the Accurascale guys are producing!

Not only are the models great but reasonably priced too.

In a totally selfish request I’d like to see 08, 20, 31, 47 and HST from them! Along with Mk1s and a full range of Mk2s.

It’s not just the models, they really get how to communicate with their target market and it’s no wonder they have won Manufacturer of the Year!

I think they may be the equivalent of Ant & Dec at the TV awards - ie they should win it every year!! 

I think Accurascale could probably sue you for comparing them to Ant and Dec.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I'm just wondering what an AccuraScale rebuilt Merchant Navy would be like ... just a thought!

Hornby's is excellent, but falling behind the times ...

Al.

Nothing like the Hornby product that's for sure.

The current R/B Merchant Navy, Stanier 8F and the Black Five are all low hanging fruit for Accurascale.

Personally, although not a WR modeller, I'm really looking forward to receiving their new Manor class whenever it arrives.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Nothing like the Hornby product that's for sure.

The current R/B Merchant Navy, Stanier 8F and the Black Five are all low hanging fruit for Accurascale.

Personally, although not a WR modeller, I'm really looking forward to receiving their new Manor class whenever it arrives.

All of the above plus an Air Smoothed West Country/BoB. Out of region for me but its an iconic class and I’d have one for ‘specials’. 

• Agree 2