More model ideas

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Other than a shortage of releases/liveries, I don't think there is much wrong with the Hornby offering at all other than lighting. Certainly not enough to make me ditch the ones I have and have fitted with lights / sound.

Roy

Well, perhaps a hinting of an Accurascale 08 would result in some more liveries from both Hornby and Bachmann...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Sounds like the waste of a good flag there.  The Hornby model is  very nice, and even the older Bachmann model is pretty pretty good and still holds its own.  No point in a third in my opinion, not when there are popular mainline locos that would benefit from a retool, thinking 40 or 50 here,   and ac electrics that have never been produced, 81,82,83 and 84.

And (says this through gritted teeth) a shed load of steam.

I’d agree with the four electrics and add the 80. I’d agree with the steam but with ungritted teeth. Much better to produce something which hasn’t been modelled before than knock out something which has already been modelled.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 16:49, The Black Hat said:

My suggestions would be: 

Class 150 DMU / 317 EMU. The DMU would be a good retool with lower floor and spec akin to Realtrack 144/156. Class 317 EMU (I think) could be the spin off...
The GBRf Biomass wagons as mentioned. 

Class 20 - Bachmann probably working on it but it will take a decade... so you can beat them to it. 
Class 180 - might be a tad too big...

Also rans

Class 141
Class 151
class 104
HAA Wagon (which is coming somewhere)
Class 40
Class 35 (I reckon this one will come from no where) 

Returning to this: 

Moving into steam has blown the options wide open for what this company can do next. Interestingly they are picking wagons that need to run in sets, thus bulk sales, or the workhorses on the network that are either in larger number or have better (sometimes cult) following.  

My thoughts move towards:

A4 - if done with sound, smokebox light, detail, dcc, and even lamps this one will be stunning. 
GBRF Biomass wagons (to follow on from those announced)

Voyager/Meridian class 220/221/222
GW Castle class

But the run away winner is: Class 50

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

There is a need for a good, new GWR / BR - preserved and not - 0-4-2 14xx I believe.

Al.

I love the 14xxs and whilst I would love to see a top-notch one, but I am not sure it is viable with the other alternatives in available to the market already.

Roy

Now settle down you chaps, all this chatter about steam engines isnt getting my '75 to'85 WCML layout any closer to the finish!  We all know whats needed, ac electrics and a nice 40.  And an emu or two, what? All in blue, thats all. Once thats all done I can pack all this online nonsense in and concentrate on running trains.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Voyager/Meridian class 220/221/222

I'd be keen for an XC Voyager to modern  standards.

222s would be a completely different tooling prospect though wouldn't it? Aren't Meridians straight sided?

A 180 would be a good idea I think, they have had loads of liveries.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be keen for an XC Voyager to modern  standards.

222s would be a completely different tooling prospect though wouldn't it? Aren't Meridians straight sided?

A 180 would be a good idea I think, they have had loads of liveries.

Only difference between Voyager and Meridian is the cab front body profiling. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

And the window layout on certain vehicles

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

And the roof details, and the window layout and size, think underframe equipment is slightly different too...to name a few...

Having researched and bodged a Bachmann 220 to create one, there’s quite a few differences!

The Voyager is crying out for the blue team to retool, the actual body and features have not much wrong with them, it’s the lack of DCC socket and poor lighting which hold it back. XC ones especially still fetch ridiculous money on eBay. But if you look at the price of recent unit releases, £100 per coach for an all singing and dancing MU seems normal, therefore a 5-coach 221 or 7-coach 222 would be?...umm...maybe the eBay prices aren’t so silly after all :O

Regarding future models, although I don’t want to admit it, I think previous comments about steam traction are correct, plus AS will have their hands full with all those lovely 37 variants for the next 30 years... :yes:

Thanks,

Jack.

• Agree 2

A good 'companion' to the forthcoming Manor class would be an Auto tank 14xx loco in 4mm. The two previous attempts at this class have well known problems/limitations, and EFE will not rework the DJ one as its owned by Hattons. One of the signature ex-GWR locos without a top class model to represent it, this would surely be a popular choice.

2 hours ago, paulbb said:

A good 'companion' to the forthcoming Manor class would be an Auto tank 14xx loco in 4mm. The two previous attempts at this class have well known problems/limitations, and EFE will not rework the DJ one as its owned by Hattons. One of the signature ex-GWR locos without a top class model to represent it, this would surely be a popular choice.

On the other hand Hattons could do a new mechanism if they thought there was a market for another run.

While I agree that a really good 14xx is needed, the ability of Hattons to potentially react quickly combined with how long Hattons had the 14xx in stock (most of the model railway world would have been blissfully unaware of the DJM issues that bothered RMweb posters) means I think anyone tooling a new 14xx would be taking a risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Jack374 said:

But if you look at the price of recent unit releases, £100 per coach for an all singing and dancing MU seems normal, therefore a 5-coach 221 or 7-coach 222 would be?...umm...maybe the eBay prices aren’t so silly after all :O

The question isn't whether the prices are silly, but will the market pay them.  Prevailing wisdom of many seems to be no, but until a manufacturer actually attempts one (ignoring the iconic items like the Blue Pullman/APT-P) it is all speculation and gut feelings.

Having many types of container wagon, the one that is really missing is the EWS FKA. Nearly all EWS/DB container trains have some in, and some are made up of all FKA's. I've got two I've made from Genesis kits and, although they are a decent representation, they wouldn't beat a AS version I'm sure. The similar Dapol IKA isn't great, with the bogie/part body bogies, but at least it's a starter for this type of wagon. Tony.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Having many types of container wagon, the one that is really missing is the EWS FKA. Nearly all EWS/DB container trains have some in, and some are made up of all FKA's. I've got two I've made from Genesis kits and, although they are a decent representation, they wouldn't beat a AS version I'm sure. The similar Dapol IKA isn't great, with the bogie/part body bogies, but at least it's a starter for this type of wagon. Tony.

I agree completely with the FKA, however it depends on the saturation of the market currently. Dapol megafrets, IDA 'SuperLow 45s' and Bachmann multifrets are still popular, to suit DB/DRS/GBRf operations. Added to that, Revolution are releasing the FWA to suit GB/DB/Fl trains, while Freightliner trains are very well catered for with the likes of KFA (Hornby), FEA-B (Dapol), FEA-S (Hattons), FLA (Realtrack), FGA/FFA (Bach), KQA (Dapol), and upcoming FSA/FTA from Realtrack. I wonder how many modellers would mind that their RTR wagons are hauled by a different loco to that in real life? To boot, GBRf have fairly recently leased KFAs and FEA-Bs from Touax.

For intermodal models, the real winner IMO would be some new upcoming orders, such as the wagons being built by Wascosa for GBRf. They’ve ordered 200 new (FEA-X) (speculated) twin wagons for pure intermodal, to replace the IKA/IFAs with only 50' decks. They’ve also ordered 570 single FEA-W flats "260 ‘Falcon’ box wagons, used for possession site work; 50 ‘Big Box’ wagons for bulk ballast transportation; and 260 ‘Flat Wagons’, a modular wagon developed by Wascosa for the carriage of track panels, sleepers, switches, rails and loose materials".

https://www.gbrailfreight.com/gb-railfreight-partner-with-wascosa-to-supply-innovative-modular-wagons-for-uk-rail-infrastructure-services/

Imagine having some of the single or double wagons and being able to run intermodal, flat bed (Salmon), caged, or solid-sided modules on top, being able to change as and when you like without the need for a change of wagon. I can see packs of 3x modules in addition to those with the wagon would sell well.

Just opinion and my proposal!

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

If we're talking EWS Intermodal wagons, I'd much prefer to see the FAA & FCA wagons. The FKA could be done by Dapol as just an EWS paint of their IKA sets, not completely accurate I'll agree, but would do the job for most.

To me, the FAA & FCA seem to be a good one to do, as they came about in the late 1990's, so ran with EWS' early traction and could be seen on Enterprise services, so long rakes not needed and could mix with other wagons, such as Accurascales excellent PFA's & JSA's.

In more modern times, as well as being used on EWS/DB Intermodal trains, they were the main wagons used on MOD services. Again, this means no need for long rakes as one or two wagons can be seen, good for the space starved modeller! With the MOD workings now under GBRf, you're not limited to EWS/DB locos at the head of them either.

The FAA is probably the better one of the pair, being a single wagon rather than a twin set like the FCA.

I'm also with @James Makin though, my credit card would be straight out for some WIA sets!

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Not being able to sleep because of being in terrible pain in my back, I’ve decided to compile a list of TOPS RTR OO/4mm diesel and electric loco’s that have been produced since 2000.  It’s a broad spectrum and I know there will be gaps and errors, but the guys from Accurascale might take a look and see where the interest for their next loco or loco’s might be.

Diesel;

Class 01 - Barclay 0-4-0 shunter - Never been produced in rtr

Class 02 - YEC 0-4-0 shunter - Being produced by Heljan 

Class 03 - BR 0-6-0 shunter - Bachmann

Class 04 - Drury 0-6-0 shunter - Bachmann

Class 05 - Hunslet 0-6-0 shunter - Heljan 

Class 06 - Barclay 0-4-0 shunter - Hornby - very poor representation 

Class 07 - R&H 0-6-0 shunter - Heljan

Class 08/09 - BR 0-6-0 shunter - Bachmann/Hornby

Class 10 - BR 0-6-0 shunter - Never been produced in rtr

Class 11 - LMS/BR 0-6-0 shunter - Model Rail exclusive by Heljan 

Class 12 - LMS/BR 0-6-0 shunter - Never been produced in rtr

Class 13 - BR 0-6-0+0-6-0 shunter- Never been produced in rtr

Class 14 - BR 0-6-0 - Heljan 

Class 15 - BTH Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 16 - NB Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 17 - Clayton Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 20 - Bachmann/ Hornby Railroad range

Class 21 - NB Bo-Bo - Dapol

Class 22 - NB B-B - Dapol

Class 23 - EE Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 24 - BR Bo-Bo - Bachmann/SLW

Class 25 - BR Bo-Bo - Bachmann/SLW

Class 26 - BRCW Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 27 - BRCW Bo-Bo - Heljan 

Class 28 - MetroVic Co-Bo - Heljan

Class 29 - NB Bo-Bo - Dapol

Class 31 - Brush A1A-A1A - Hornby

Class 33 - BRCW Bo-Bo - Heljan - Early models had dimension issues 

Class 35 - PB B-B - Heljan 

Class 37 - EE Co-Co - Accurascale/Bachmann/Hornby Railroad range/Vi-Trains

Class 40 - EE 1Co-Co1 - Bachmann

Class 41 - NB C-C - Kernow

Class 42 - BR B-B - Bachmann

Class 43 - NB B-B - Bachmann

Class 43 - BR Bo-Bo HST Power Car - Hornby

Class 44 - BR 1Co-Co1 - Bachmann

Class 45/46 - BR 1Co-Co1 - Bachmann/Heljan 

Class 47 - Brush/BR Co-Co - Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby Railroad range/Vi-Trains

Class 48 - Brush/BR Co-Co - Model Rail exclusive by Heljan 

Class 50 - EE Co-Co - Hornby

Class 52 - BR C-C - Dapol

Class 53 - Brush Co-Co - Heljan

Class 55 - EE Co-Co - Accurascale/Bachmann

Class 56 - BR Co-Co - Hornby

Class 57 - BR Co-Co - Bachmann

Class 58 - BR Co-Co - Heljan

Class 59 - EMD Co-Co - Dapol/Hornby Railroad range

Class 60 - Brush Co-Co - Hornby

Class 66 - EMD Co-Co - Bachmann/Hatton’s/Hornby

Class 67 - EMD Bo-Bo - Hornby

Class 68 - Stadler - Bo-Bo - Dapol

Class 70 - GE Co-Co - Bachmann

Electro-Diesel and 3rd Rail;

Class 71 - BR Bo-Bo - DJ Models/Hornby 

Class 73 - BR/EE Bo-Bo - Dapol/Hornby

Class 74 - BR Rebuild Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

OHLE Electric;

Class 76 - BR Bo+Bo - Heljan

Class 77 - BR Co-Co - Heljan 

Class 81 - BRCW Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

Class 82 - MetroVic/BP Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

Class 83 - EE Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

Class 84 - NB Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

Class 85 - BR Bo-Bo - Bachmann

Class 86 - BR Bo-Bo - Heljan/Hornby 

Class 87 - BR Bo-Bo - Hornby

Class 88 - Stadler Bo-Bo - Never been produced in rtr

Class 89 - BR Co-Co - Proposed by Rails of Sheffield 

Class 90 - BR Bo-Bo - Bachmann/Hornby 

Class 91 - BR Bo-Bo - Hornby 

Class 92 - Brush Co-Co - Accurascale/Hornby 

I was hoping that doing this list would send me off to sleep, even that didn’t work.  I’ve not included one off’s, prototypes and PWay loco’s, I just put this together to show what’s been done, what can be improved on and what’s in the pipeline.

Edited by jools1959
Error
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Jools , can you now do the same thing for all the steam engines please, I'll help you out with the start and finish, 

Rocket, Hornby,

Then a few more for you to fill in 

Followed by;

Evening star, Hornby, Bachmann.

Good luck with that, should help with the back pain.!

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

5 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve decided to compile a list of TOPS RTR OO/4mm diesel and electric loco’s that have been produced since 2000.

I think you should add class 18 and 93 to that list given they are being built and Revolution are doing the 93.

Edited by TomScrut