Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

A new book caught my eye in the local news emporium this afternoon relevant to this thread. 

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECBRENG/Modelling BR Engineers Wagon

A build of the Cambrian kit is featured and a very nice colour photo is shewn of one in Marsh Sidings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A new book caught my eye in the local news emporium this afternoon relevant to this thread. 

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECBRENG/Modelling BR Engineers Wagon

A build of the Cambrian kit is featured and a very nice colour photo is shewn of one in Marsh Sidings.

Nice price too Robin.. 

Think a few of these on ANTB wouldn't go a miss. Just about get into your timescale. 

Return to Menheniot would be good... 

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A build of the Cambrian kit is featured and a very nice colour photo is shewn of one in Marsh Sidings

I do apologise, but I feel the need to request clarification.

Was this a Cambrian model featured on the real Marsh Sidings, or a Cambrian model featured on a model of Marsh Sidings?

Or was it a real Herring on the real Marsh Sidings, or perhaps a real Herring on a model of Marsh Sidings?

I need to know. I don't quite know why I need to know, but I feel that I do.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I need to know. I don't quite know why I need to know, but I feel that I do.

From memory there was the build of the Cambrian kit with a prototype photo shewn for inspiration taken on Marsh Sidings. So both in a real and model Herring . I hope this is clear now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

From memory there was the build of the Cambrian kit with a prototype photo shewn for inspiration taken on Marsh Sidings. So both in a real and model Herring . I hope this is clear now.

Not a Red Herring then?  

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Black is the new red.

Do you want to borrow my Colour Wheel, there are many comparable colours on it ?

Van Cough

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/12/2020 at 20:18, Captain Kernow said:

That's a euphemism, that is.

I had one of those once. Not pleasant but the nurse was utterly charming which helped. 

On 12/12/2020 at 22:32, Captain Kernow said:

Black is the new red.

Darling. 

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Recently converted Heljan Dogfish hoppers are tested out on the stone siding. Conversion was a fiddly faff. The '00' axle lengths are around 1mm shorter than standard P4 ones. The first attempts in using the '00' axles ended in abject failure. I managed to slightly bend them removing the 'fixed' wheels so standard 12mm BB wheelsets were fitted with brass pinpoint bearings . I found that using the small brass AG drilling tool very helpful. Some carving of the plastic was required in one part of the chassis frame on each. Oddly, behind only at the top of one plastic w-iron on each wagon.

I found that the bearing depth was critical for free spinning wheelsets. Some were lovely and free, others not so. Those that weren't so good were replaced with old Keen Maygib solid metal wheelsets with the same axle length and hey presto, they were fine! Still trying to understand that! Sprung or compensated conversion was considered but I opted to stick with the 'rigid' conversion (for ease!).

Some have been weathered by CK a few years ago (for 'Netherhope Halt'), others need painting and weathering.

20210202_145919.jpg.c1b6f65be363238362bf1e5c154895c2.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some resin cast stone loads arrived this week for the Heljan Dogfishes. These are rather nicely done and will save some work (!) . They will be painted and will have a small amount of real ballast added.

The added bonus is that they bring the weight of a Dogfish to 44gm which after testing on the layout was satisfactory for these 'rigid' re-wheeled wagons thus saving the addition of lead weighting.

The supplier is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RESIN-WAGON-LOAD-Full-Load-FOR-Heljan-OO-GAUGE-DOGFISH-WAGON/173872244294?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=472592837654&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20210214_111825.jpg.99b38e080a758de7e845fe8e39c4ce2f.jpg

20210214_112023.jpg.63074aea1640450a85a4e7fb3bd94c1a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 15:34, Tim V said:

Last of my pictures. Very poor shot April 1976.  Then from 1977 engine was 4150, but I've included this one as it shows the lack of buffer stop at the end of the siding. I have a few other pictures of the engine, but not relevant to the OP's topic.

Parkend 12-06-1976 60-5.jpg

Parkend 4150 11 April 1977 Rollieflex 89-5.jpg

"Before railways, there were plateways ..." And before plateways there were edge railways employing wooden rails and later wooden under rails topped with iron! See: Lewis, M. J. T. :)