• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2021 at 12:53, Re6/6 said:

20210606_093101.jpg.00f7f731843f7060c72ed9cb557e895d.jpg

20210606_093221.jpg.69daee610e01ce255d0840fced868607.jpg

20210606_093431.jpg.96909fb9ab36fa943d37696b713e06f1.jpg

20210606_093241.jpg.870764e70ce282f9f1a7149092d73e08.jpg

Re-labelled by CK

20210606_093452.jpg.2e3d8b84ac5b6b8dd9d41eed9e3d2976.jpg

Lovely but I do like  the weathering on the Toad in particular. 

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2020 at 10:34, Tim V said:

Last of my pictures. Very poor shot April 1976.  Then from 1977 engine was 4150, but I've included this one as it shows the lack of buffer stop at the end of the siding. I have a few other pictures of the engine, but not relevant to the OP's topic.

Parkend 12-06-1976 60-5.jpg

Parkend 4150 11 April 1977 Rollieflex 89-5.jpg

Tim,

You may have solved a 40 year old mystery for me. As a kid I remember my parents taking me on holiday to stay at Whitemead Park and during visits spread over a couple or three years my sister and I discovered an old gutted steam engine on the sidings nearby which provided hours of fascination. I’ve tried a few times to find out what engine it was but to no avail. It now looks likely that your 1977 photo was the engine in question. Thanks !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2021 at 02:31, Gareth-Ingram said:

Tim,

You may have solved a 40 year old mystery for me. As a kid I remember my parents taking me on holiday to stay at Whitemead Park and during visits spread over a couple or three years my sister and I discovered an old gutted steam engine on the sidings nearby which provided hours of fascination. I’ve tried a few times to find out what engine it was but to no avail. It now looks likely that your 1977 photo was the engine in question. Thanks !

Glad the mystery is solved, but it's John who must take the credit, as it's his layout!

On 10/08/2021 at 02:31, Gareth-Ingram said:

Tim,

Here is probably what you saw!

Parkend 4150 11 April 1977 Rollieflex 89-4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tim V said:

Here is probably what you saw!

Parkend 4150 11 April 1977 Rollieflex 89-4.jpg

Bloody marvellous, never thought the mystery would be solved! Thanks very much Tim. I spent many an hour on that engine when I was a kid, probably responsible for my love of railways and the F o D and may be the trigger for me to finally take up the greatest hobby in the world.

Edited by Gareth-Ingram
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Gareth-Ingram said:

Bloody marvellous, never thought the mystery would be solved! Thanks very much Tim. I spent many an hour on that engine when I was a kid, probably responsible for my love of railways and the F o D and may be the trigger for me to finally take up the greatest hobby in the world.

You and me both! Autumn holidays to the FoD back in the 1970s always involved happy visits to Parkend and Marsh Wharf. I too climbed all over this loco! I know the FoDR boyos have worked wonders, but I do miss the old Parkend.

19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Tim, out of interest, do you happen to have any other photos showing the Police House (as was) and the adjacent cottages and that general area on that side of the tracks, please?

Thanks.

Sorry Captain, I think I have posted all my pictures of that site. You went there with me at least once - should have asked me then!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 14/08/2021 at 20:19, Paul H Vigor said:

You and me both! Autumn holidays to the FoD back in the 1970s always involved happy visits to Parkend and Marsh Wharf. I too climbed all over this loco! I know the FoDR boyos have worked wonders, but I do miss the old Parkend.

Maybe you should join the 4150 ‘club’…

I’m now officially a part owner of this engine and encourage others to join in to get it back on the rails and sustain it.

63DF4EFD-E85D-4597-8127-EAF28E4DD202.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2021 at 16:09, Gareth-Ingram said:

Maybe you should join the 4150 ‘club’…

I’m now officially a part owner of this engine and encourage others to join in to get it back on the rails and sustain it.

63DF4EFD-E85D-4597-8127-EAF28E4DD202.jpeg

That's splendid.

I am also part-owner of a locomotive, 2-8-0 No. 3850. I paid regularly into a fund over a number of years.

I believe that I now own the bolt holding the right-hand front lamp bracket in place.

In all seriousness, it would be good to see that loco back in steam again. Did someone say that it hasn't steamed since it was preserved?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Interesting comment CK in respect of funding a locomotive rebuild.

I took contributed to the Hinton Manor Fund many, many moons ago and was excited to see her in steam.

When she was finally running I took the opportunity to go along to a Gala where I knew she was performing. Whilst the locomotive was standing at the end of a platform and the crew were taking a break I nerdishly ( dont know if that word exists but I'll use it anyway ) walked over and started a conversation with them. I also happened to have my Certificate in my duffle bag ( yes I even had one of those too ).

I mentioned that I had contributed towards the restoration and asked if they would allow me to just stand on the footplate whilst being idle.

My reply from the drivers was a definite NO !

"Just because you've contributed it doesn't mean you can do what you like !" , was his reply.

Following up on this I sent a letter of to the Chair of the funding Committee and didn't have the courtesy of a reply from them either !

Monies stopped and I haven't funded another project since.

Rather sad in my opinion as it left a sour taste.

Other than that the weather is better today and I will have a ride out and grab a latte somewhere. 

Edited by bgman
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gareth-Ingram said:

There’s no excuse for a lack of a reply. Well, perhaps a different engine, different people.

I knew the folk running the restoration of 3850, as we were all part of an unofficial area group of the WSRA at the time, but my claim to owning a lamp bracket bolt has not been verified by any committee!