Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

I figure that I may own a rivet and if I’m nice it will be a rivet up front all nice and painted, if not they’ll assign me a rivet somewhere underneath where the clinker poops out !

Anyhow, I’ve measured up and I got up to 20 feet along a basement wall for something in 7mm scale and quite possibly involving Marsh Sidings. Whilst I think about that I’m enjoying seeing this P4 layout, somewhat above my non existent skill level!

Edited by Gareth-Ingram
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, bgman said:

Interesting comment CK in respect of funding a locomotive rebuild.

I took contributed to the Hinton Manor Fund many, many moons ago and was excited to see her in steam.

When she was finally running I took the opportunity to go along to a Gala where I knew she was performing. Whilst the locomotive was standing at the end of a platform and the crew were taking a break I nerdishly ( dont know if that word exists but I'll use it anyway ) walked over and started a conversation with them. I also happened to have my Certificate in my duffle bag ( yes I even had one of those too ).

I mentioned that I had contributed towards the restoration and asked if they would allow me to just stand on the footplate whilst being idle.

My reply from the drivers was a definite NO !

"Just because you've contributed it doesn't mean you can do what you like !" , was his reply.

Following up on this I sent a letter of to the Chair of the funding Committee and didn't have the courtesy of a reply from them either !

Monies stopped and I haven't funded another project since.

Rather sad in my opinion as it left a sour taste.

Other than that the weather is better today and I will have a ride out and grab a latte somewhere. 

Past experiences of loco and railway preservation groups, et alia, is that they can be very cliquey. There is a danger of funding someone else's pet project and discovering that you yourself have no stake in it. Your 'share certificate' is actually an illusion - just a piece of paper?

• Agree 1

On 12/04/2021 at 12:03, Re6/6 said:

Hello Jay,

Much deliberation right now! The most likely it will be up to The Fountain Inn with the buildings providing the necessary scenic break into the fiddle yard.

MarshSidings13a.jpg.04dccb3fcc564a420605ed312849fb7c.jpg

In the long term there are crazy thoughts about building Parkend Station but I now probably won't have enough years left on this good earth what with all the work needed to complete Balcombe!

'Planning too many future projects' is a condition that I suffer from!

Just been catching up on Marsh Sidings. It's looking great. The Fountain Inn was used as the prototype for the Railway Inn on Clinkerford.

21732245_FountainsInn.jpg.cfe0cd9ca2d444608e5710f71929a893.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. Work rate has gone up a gear in preparation for its first 'semi public' outing at DRAG'S 'very mini S4um' next month!

The Railway Inn is a lovely piece of work. Very 'Fountainesque'!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Just been catching up on Marsh Sidings. It's looking great. The Fountain Inn was used as the prototype for the Railway Inn on Clinkerford.

21732245_FountainsInn.jpg.cfe0cd9ca2d444608e5710f71929a893.jpg

That's lovely, John.

I don't suppose you have any scale drawings of the structure you built, do you, please?

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 15:54, Captain Kernow said:

That's lovely, John.

I don't suppose you have any scale drawings of the structure you built, do you, please?

Sadly not. It must be getting on for 30 years ago that I built the model and I no longer have any drawings pre 2001, when I moved to Ireland and started doing most of my drawing on CAD. I remember we had a great day measuring it up and probably spent a disproportionate time in the bar. I can't remember whether the barmaid was based on the prototype!

1846845623_BarScene.jpg.46a8fca963c450be9507fa86ff4a1b75.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

CK and I had a vey useful and successful operating session today to check out the new cassette system, well they're actually recycled and refurbished ex-Matford ones!

Still much to do (scenically) before next month's showing at the D.R.A.G. 'mini  multi venue Scaleforum'  https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/166741-scaleforum-2021-a-multi-venue-event/&tab=comments#comment-4559026

20210821_184437b.jpg.6e646c2f4aeee7b4e75635919cc50228.jpg

An interesting arrival of an 'R Class'  from the Rhymney Railway. This engine is destined for the new Welsh layout 'Mynydd Du' It was built by Andrew Howlett and ia awaiting numbering and heavy weathering by CK.

20210831_150926.jpg.845a40268bba9d9f2eee278e7d243666.jpg

20210831_152608.jpg.e66535a81ab9b4e875e2dfb27ad6b972.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Some scenics done today.

20210914_163156.jpg.142484a7f2b01d20181a1fe1236054c7.jpg

20210914_163308.jpg.cad2cc687ab25eb7044f7dc10dde8bfe.jpg

One of these gardens was home to a peculiar cone-shaped object in the mid-1970s - reminded me, as an eleven-year-old, of a back garden teepee! I believe it was eventually identified as a highly unusual historic aviation component? I understand it was removed for preservation? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

CK and I took Marsh to our DRAG meeting rooms to try the whole thing out prior to next Saturday's first showing at the 'Scaleforum multi-venue event'.

It was thoroughly tested and proved to be satisfactory. CK operated it doing many different shunting moves checking out all the stock that will be used (mostly his!)

The renovated ex-Matford cassettes have proved to work well.

Of note is the lovely grey cottage built by CK for which I'm very grateful.

20210918_122406.jpg.b71f0cba6c1c71b32f29ae8f9ba3817a.jpg

Still brings me a tinge of sadness for days gone by, people past on and what has been lost. The mark of a great bit of modelling?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Looking very good John and you must be relieved that all went well during today's "trial run".

I've been doing the same with Obbekær in preparation for the North Norfolk event on the same day. One or two little niggles, but nothing serious!

Hope the day goes well. Look forward to seeing some film of the event.

Geraint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Geraint. It's only after a full set-up does one notice the scenic flaws and errors! There's still much to do in that department before next weekend. The 'Greenkeeper' machine will be working overtime and there are walls to be finished, trees to be planted etc...

Hope all goes well for Obbekær.

It'll be good to be 'showing' again!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Neil said:

I like the sense of space that the overall shots give and the 'other house' is one of those quiet masterpieces of model-making.

Thanks Neil. End-on is my favorite view when the light catches the rail heads!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning John.

All looking very nice indeed.  A lovely looking layout and right ul this sheep's street.

However, I find myself drawn to the trees which, as ever, demonstrate a great deal finesse. 

Splendid stuff. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Dropped clanger
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1