Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Surely the pannier is there to rescue the train didn’t the class 14 have quite a few mechanical problems

Well, it was certainly the Class 22s that had a reputation for unreliability (although how true that actually was is possibly open to some debate, at least when comparing their reliability against other early diesel types). Not so sure about the Class 14s. I think their historical 'claim to fame' was that they should never have been built in the first place. The traffic they were designed for (local goods) was rapidly ebbing away, encouraged by the then management, who were enthusiastically putting the principles of the Beeching Report into effect.

All of the class had scandalously short working lives with BR, all with withdrawn from BR service within 10 years, although a sizeable portion of the fleet was sold to industrial concerns, where they lingered for a few more years and from which employment a fair few found their way into preservation.

But with my pedantic hat on, the steam loco could not have been sent to rescue the diesel, because all steam traction was withdrawn on the Western Region by then (Class 14s took over all FoD traffic from 3rd January 1966), apart from the poor few dilapidated locos soldiering on, on the Somerset & Dorset until 7th March 1966.

It is more likely that another Class 14 would have been despatched to rescue the failed loco. That would have been the easiest option, as most traincrew that signed what remained of the Forest lines at that time would only have traction knowledge of the Class 14.

The Hymek in the other photo would definitely have required a Lydney crew to pilot the booked driver & secondman, unless by chance there was a set of Gloucester men, who knew both Hymeks and the road to Parkend.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Sawmills Siding: what was the height from the top of the running rail to the lip of the loading bank? Did this height remain constant for the length of the siding - or did the siding feature a climbing gradient? 

I have no idea of the measurement Paul. Regarding the gradient, it would appear that the wharf was slightly sloped as can be gathered from the picture. Anyway, I modelled it the supporting wall level as it wouldn't normally be seen!

As CK said, there are plans to feature early occupation of the Sawmills siding by some FoDR stock. I have an old w/m 61xx and a Hawksworth coach which would be sheeted for a very late operating period with a Cl 37. There is 37 awaiting conversion!

Picture courtesy of Parkhouse/Lightmoor Press

20230801_100141.jpg.501719286ffc2186aee732c91a63f558.jpg

Photos courtesy of Tim Venton

Marsh41504.jpg.ffb97d4d324e309987da01d19dec400d.jpg

Marsh41501.jpg.b6c3eeeecc9b1ade61b20e59a2a37fec.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I have no idea of the measurement Paul. Regarding the gradient, it would appear that the wharf was slightly sloped as can be gathered from the picture. Anyway, I modelled it the supporting wall level as it wouldn't normally be seen!

As CK said, there are plans to feature early occupation of the Sawmills siding by some FoDR stock. I have an old w/m 61xx and a Hawksworth coach which would be sheeted for a very late operating period with a Cl 37. There is 37 awaiting conversion!

Photos courtesy of Tim Venton

Marsh41504.jpg.ffb97d4d324e309987da01d19dec400d.jpg

Marsh41501.jpg.b6c3eeeecc9b1ade61b20e59a2a37fec.jpg

Aww. That's just how I remember it. The garden (last pic, between the coach and smoke box) featured a peculiar cone-shapped object that reminded me of a small wigwam. I believe it was identified as a very rare aircraft component? I understand it was taken to Bristol for preservation?

I believe 4150 lived at Marsh for circa three years - 1974 until January 1978? She must have been newly arrived when I first saw her. On weekends DFR guys were in attendence to show the loco to visitors.

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 30/07/2023 at 20:17, Paul H Vigor said:

The Forestry Commission in the FoD swept away a lot of Wye-Dean industrial archaeology in the name of H&S? Marsh Wharf may have been lost in this same brutal cull?

They are also threatening to drain Cannop Ponds.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/07/2023 at 11:24, Re6/6 said:

No traffic today in the sidings

20230624_132249.jpg.38cefb31b58095e022aa5579c767a213.jpg

'Marsh Sidings' will be on show at Scalefour Southwest at Wells on 12th and 13th of August and at Scaleforum on 23rd and 24th of September.

That right there, is modelling perfection. Oodles of atmosphere, and not a train in sight.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed it did by the looks of things! Thank you for that. Never seen that picture before.

Too late to change the siding now!

Explains why the pannier tank's footplate appears to be at regular platform level in the 1970s photos - it was parked at the 'shallow end'! 

On 01/08/2023 at 10:07, Re6/6 said:

Although the Lightmoor book that photo is in claims the 37 was unidentified, there is video evidence that it was 37 270 that worked the last BR traffic out of Parkend Marsh Sidings.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed it did by the looks of things! Thank you for that. Never seen that picture before.

Too late to change the siding now!

Just as well, it wouldn't be much use for parking wagons in!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seasons greetings, John. 

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and to a Happy New Year. 

Rob