Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

Thanks, the Swiss thread has stalled rather until I find the earlier pictures. They are on a card here somewhere!

I daren't get the Swiss stuff out the loft. I would be off on another scheme in no time! That would hamper progress on the current projects, Glasgow Queen Street - I am at least getting somewhere with that, and Fort William Shed (hardly started) both on here somewhere under modelling real locations. 

It is all good though! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little progress with the 'grassing'. Sleepers will be 'swept'.

20200817_203242a.jpg.4a50f978f5e4624c8efa3fb639eba1df.jpg

It was pointed out to me by CK that sheep were ever present munching grass from the track and the loading wharf so a more trimmed look with 1mm and 2mm grasses will be required. I've ordered a a selection 1mm from WWS to try out and some different shades of 2mm from Polák.

The sheep connection just had to be in there somewhere didn't it!:rolleyes:

403200425_parkend-villagesheep.jpg.768e8d9a9e34e3c413e6f36e62698aa8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

It was pointed out to me by CK that sheep were ever present munching grass from the track and the loading wharf .....

I look forward to seeing where you get your grazing, proper fed 1:76 scale sheep from.
Plenty of lambs about - aka  OO/HO scale Sheep.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, queensquare said:

I dont venture out of the 2mm area very often John so have only just found this thread, fabulous stuff and a great prototype.

I have also been tempted by the FofD bug, my own William Smith's Wharf is a thinly disguised Bicslade transposed to Somerset!

I hope to get Pixie down to Larkrail one year with his Parkend when we are allowed out to play again so perhaps we could have both - socially distanced of course!

jerry

IMG_1522.PNG.f4e9502fff55c616b1ff435e2f6e4723.PNG

IMG_1516.PNG.0df96111c8f4befbe97040b1ce6a2b7e.PNG

Thanks Jerry. WSW is delightful. Bicslade was thought about (and could still be!). I'd love to have the opportunity one day to see Pixies MS.

It's been two weeks or so of 'grassing' then removing until I've got it as near to what is needed. My patience will run out if I do more faffing about with it!:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 19/08/2020 at 11:17, Re6/6 said:

In Forest speak they're known as "Scraggies". They are a distinctive part of the Forest that adds to it's character.

Edit:- those in that photo are more or less on the old trackbed to the Marsh sidings. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This is all looking very nice indeed. 

Lovely to see the images of  Great Aunt Daisy as well. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2020 at 19:30, Penlan said:

I look forward to seeing where you get your grazing, proper fed 1:76 scale sheep from.
Plenty of lambs about - aka  OO/HO scale Sheep.

A bit of lateral thinking.

How about 7mm versions, are they equally as underfed?

Mike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A bit of lateral thinking.

How about 7mm versions, are they equally as underfed?

I haven't looked for 7mm versions, I'm still struggling to find some decent 1:76 grazing sheep.
I have a topic elsewhere on RMweb re. Sheep and on a Facebook group too,  I also have various packs of sheep from suppliers purporting to be either 00 or H0/00, they are all (barrr :rolleyes: Merit/Peco, and these are thin and still small)  - (well almost? ) clones of the Prieser Sheep. 
For guidance, a generic Sheep should be approx. 3 ft to the withers at 1:1 scale.
If we are trying to model track, stock etc., properly, then I believe we should take the holistic approach and try and get all the other items on the layout near to scale too.
Of course if your doing perspectives, small sheep on a distant hill may help the illusion :jester:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Re. Fatter sheep.

The ones from the air fix farm stock set are much chunkier and include a ram but not grazing poses (unless I’ve lost those). Below Airfix on left, Prieser on right, with a modelU shunter  for comparison.

Langley models do some sheep too, used to be a pick your own selection item at shows. I’ve often looked at them but had sufficient for my needs already.

5718DAE8-7D43-449A-B0FA-F00C78FA75AB.jpeg.abea0cc698d2c073f89a71645d86cfe5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

The ovine discussion has been noted but it is confirmed that a decision has been made and there will be no sheep munching any grass on the sidings or any of its environs.:o

So the sheep will be hidden, implied perhaps, certainly figurative and conceptual in nature?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 13:29, Regularity said:

Likewise big ones at the front...

Are we talking about Elaine Harris again...

8 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

The ovine discussion has been noted but it is confirmed that a decision has been made and there will be no sheep munching any grass on the sidings or any of its environs.:o

This is a shame, as I have sheeps on Cwmdimbath all over the place including where they shouldn't be in proper South Wales Valleys fashion.  But a decision is a decision, I have decidedly decided, and that is my decision.  

My mountainside sheep and the railway trespassers are Peco Scenecraft, and do look a bit scraggy and malnourished; this is about right for Valleys girls, I mean sheep.  I have subtly 'weathered' them to enhance the scruffiness and 'attitude'.  I have not gone so far as to replicate the sight, common on Valleys railways, of a well decomposed one cut in half by a train following the discovery on the mountain of it's carcass and subsequent dumping on the track to claim compo from the railway.  

I bought a pack of (expensive) Bachmann sheeps, and these are much more plump and healthy looking.  They are posed on the bridge to prevent anyone putting a bus on it. and the back story is that they are new arrivals fresh from Romney Marsh, perhaps the reason an empty cattle wagon came up to the terminus in the afternoon pickup to be run around and taken straight back down the valley a few days ago, imported by the Major.  On Cwmdimbath, the Major owns an Austin Dorset and is employed at Tremains ROF in Bridgend in a capacity nobody dares ask him about, but also with his missus runs a hill farm.  They were following their ram along the road but I wanted a sort of static cameo on the bridge.  The back story is that one of them, disgusted at the weather, the company she has been asked to keep, and the fact that she is now expected to go up hills. and has staged a sit down protest in the road.  Her sisters have expressed support and are ambling around aimlessly but supportively, the ram has lost all control, and is looking back at the seditious group wondering how to re-establish dominance (sheep are not that bright, so he thinks he's actually got a hope of doing this) and wondering what to do next.  The Major's wife has abandoned the Dorset and gone off in search of tea. buns, and any assistance she can collect in the colliery canteen just off stage.

The Bachmann sheep are much more appropriate for Dean beasts, and common grazing rights for the Foresters ensure that they are all over the place most of the time; perhaps you will reconsider. A few sheeps ambling about getting in the way brings life to such a scene as this when there are no locos about or the crew are over the pub.

• Like 3